What to do with leftover white rice?

I got a ton of Chinese food to-go and the owner gave me two boxes of white rice. What should I do with it? I don’t want to waste food. Thank you and all suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

Fried rice the day or three after… with whatever other ingredients you may have left over (or fresh stuff as well).

Proteins, eggs, veggies, fruits… it’s all good!

11 Likes

Congee.

3 Likes

Rice pudding if you’re looking for something sweet. Otherwise +1 to the suggestions above. Maybe quick stuffed peppers/eggplants/etc.?

2 Likes

Give it to the raven . I never knew what to do with it for leftovers. I never enjoyed fried rice . Sorry

Cooked rice freezes well - toss it in the freezer for next time you make a stir fry. It also makes great fried rice after freezing.

5 Likes

Cooked rice does freeze well and I toss it in chicken or tomato soup.

4 Likes

Make glue

Kimchi fried rice is a favorite at our house.

4 Likes

Ice cream.

2 Likes

I keep sheets of cooked rice in the freezer (once cooled, I flatten it on a cookie sheet, toss in freezer, shove frozen slabs into ziploc bags) . Microwave 60 seconds, stir, microwave another 30 seconds and it’s ready.

5 Likes

Rice pudding. Mix the rice with milk and sugar, or with coconut milk, coconut cream, and shredded coconut. Amounts aren’t too important but you want it to start out very thin, and finish a bit loose because it will thicken as it cools. Bake/nuke on a low setting for a long time, like an hour or more, stirring occasionally. Keep watch.

2 Likes

I would not eat three day old rice.

Also, it’s important to cool rice quickly and keep it refrigerated.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cooked rice in the oven and forgotten it once the heat was turned off. Found it a day or two later, refrigerated, later reheated and eaten without trouble. Ditto baked potatoes, which are also supposedly hazardous. With both, I’d already done this well before reading that it was dangerous.

4 Likes

Then you should never eat Chinese fast food fried rice.

4 Likes

I don’t. In fact, I don’t eat any fast food.

They aren’t “supposedly hazardous”; they are hazardous. Botulism is deadly.

It’s fortunate that you haven’t suffered food bourne illness, but that doesn’t mean that others shouldn’t attempt to avoid it.

I fail to understand why people on food-centric message boards find it amusing to mock food safety protocols.

Some more ideas here:

3 Likes

I generally keep it in the back of the refrigerator for a week or two then toss it when it grows mold.

1 Like

Agree with fried rice.

Also, chicken soup, frittata, jambalaya, biryani, served under gumbo, rice fritters.

1 Like