What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Holy cow, what delicious meals! Lunch & dinner are care of the local pub’ pizza, wings, beer.

:hugs: Rooster

3 Likes

Greek night for dinner. Moussaka, salad and wine. Opa!

12 Likes

Linda’s burger looks great and so do her cats!

1 Like

Moussaka looks fantastic! I don’t eat it (because: eggplant), but it was one of my moms favorite (and most-requested by others) dishes when she ate meat.

Mexican for dinner tonight.

I made rice by request and have eaten a small portion as my first meal of the day (tummy upset had turned into a lingering headache since yesterday, so clearly not gone and I’m therefore still taking it easy food-wise).

image image

Skirt steak was cooked sous vide overnight and most of today, now I’ve massaged in a mexican-style rub and it will be grilled closer to dinnertime. Also on the menu: Brussels sprouts, corn, asparagus. Pics later.

Made another serving of yogurt last night, but it’s also a bit slimy (otherwise perfect) in spite of being sealed and in the IP rather than the yeasty oven. Sigh. I think it’s the starter’s fault. Will try again tomorrow when my kefir (hopefully) arrives using a mix of starters.

7 Likes

I absolutely love moussaka, but unfortunately allergic to western eggplants. Not too many places make it with Asian eggplants - guess quarantine is going to give me time to figure it out on my own. Looks great!

Thanks @Saregama, one of our favorite Greek comfort or feast foods. Do you not eat eggplant due to sensitivity? Sorry about your yogurt, but better luck when your kefir arrives. Hope the headache goes away soon too!

1 Like

@escaped - I actually prefer to use Asian eggplants when making it; I’ll either cut them on a steep angle or plank them. H used 2 globes in this, which are more readily available in our smallish town. If you can even find the Asians here, they’re about $4.99/lb, and usually not in the best of shape. I stock up when I trek into the Asian markets over the toll bridge(s).

1 Like

Yep - I’ve got a neighborhood Japanese grocery that does sell them with good quality (mainly for ex Pat’s), been focused on buying from them. For me, it’s the seeds that cause the reaction, and the Asian eggplants are way better for that.

Oh good, glad you can eat the Asian types at least. I so love :eggplant:

Last meal of COVID-19 April 2020. I hope May is better as we (hopefully) climb out of the trenches.

Thanks to @gcaggiano, the craving for Chicken Marsala didn’t go away, even after a long two days at my workplace as we start to look at what will be necessary to get us backup and running for whenever Massachusetts does reopen.l along with all of the regular stuff I’m trying to do. Last night was 'sketti and sauce (it was Wednesday, after all), but I wanted to cook tonight.

So that’s WWFD tonight…the recipe that Greg posted earlier this week. Alongside, I had the last box I have of Near East Rice Pilaf and steamed green beans. I didn’t have any heavy cream, but some sour cream whisked in at the very end worked well in a pinch.

Oh, THERE WAS WINE.

18 Likes

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe! I’m very skeptical of blog recipes because they are wrong most of the time. However that one was spot on 100%. Great pic!

1 Like

It does look great, and one of my favs - recipe saved to Paprika 3, and thanks!

2 Likes

I bought a whole boneless prime ribeye and a huge package of flap meat at Restaurant Depot a couple of weeks ago, which have been wet aging in the fridge ever since. Today was butchery day! I cut eight gorgeous 20 oz ribeyes and ground the scraps and fat with the flap meat for 15 pounds of fantastic hamburger to stock the freezer. This was a necessity since my local store NEVER has hamburger these days.

All of this labor merited a pre-dinner Manhattan:

Then steaks for dinner, with pesto, broccoli cheddar gratin, and onions fried in the pan drippings (with a nice hit of rosemary):

There might also have been a second Manhattan…

18 Likes

Sheet-Pan Chicken With Jammy Tomatoes and Pancetta

The tomatoes continue after the chicken comes out. They could use a bit more time until, “jammy”. Notice how I snuck a few thighs in there. Shhhhhh!

Uh oh… He spotted the thighs. He says they’re "mingling ".

Well received!

19 Likes

We played “heads up” on Microsoft teams to honor our admin staff on their day. Also surprisingly fun…until someone busts out the recordings.

2 Likes

Rainbow chard and farro soup. Trumpet mushrooms, carrots, and a can of fire-roasted Muir Glen tomatoes played a supporting role.

5 Likes

I made that same dish after I saw it in the Times. Yours is prettier! I liked it, but probably not enough to make it again. The tomatoes were very good, and I got them all because my husband’s not a fan, so win-win.

1 Like

Those taters😍

1 Like

I made chicken tender shawarma over yellow rice and freekeh with Halal-cart sauce. The last of the veg chopped up and enjoyed with. This hit all the right savory, juicy, carby, crispy notes…for me. The kiddo tasted, complained (“spicy” - again, not), got down from the table for a walk, returned, ate half (borderline started liking it), and then had a PBJ before bed. :woman_shrugging:

18 Likes