What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Curried chicken thighs ala Instant Pot… Curry powder a friend brought back from Malaysia I think. Very flavorful & comforting! From the Amy + Jacky website

15 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Grilled chicken with sauce , asparagus , and black beans. Cheers

17 Likes

That is a gorgeous plate of food. what’s on the chicken?

Dry marinade. Salt , pepper , a little garlic powder . Cooked on the webber with mesquite. For color and taste I toss a small piece of oak wood next to the fire . I use the red tail barbecue sauce doctored up a little with apple cider vinegar , black pepper , a tiny bit more salt . Brushed on the the last 20 min or so .

5 Likes

Sharing my WFB (because WFD was just leftovers from take-out) - avocado toast with egg and TJ’s yuzu hot sauce - not because it’s so revolutionary or delicious (tho it was the latter), but because i only learned last month, after having grown up in So. Cal. eating avocados all my life, that if you put a ripe, uncut avocado into the fridge, it will pretty much stay at that level of ripeness for days. DAYS. With no browning or diminution of quality! How many avocados have i tossed and wasted over the years?? I weep to think of it.

To clarify, you can’t put it in the fridge and expect it to ripen - the cold slows the ripening process almost down to nil- but you can have multiple avos in your fridge, at their peak, and eat them whenever the hell you want.

This avo was ripened and put in the fridge 4-5 days ago, cut open this a.m.

I’m going on and on about this because I can’t believe it took me this long to learn of the Miracle of Refrigeration vis-a-vis avocados. While I’m sure you’re all muttering, “um, we knew that, who let her on on this site?”

I knew about bananas - put them in the fridge, they brown on the outside but stay firm and yellow on the inside. But who cares about bananas?

I also just learned today that if you put said ripe avocados in a plastic bag in the fridge, you can extend that ripeness by 3-5 MORE DAYS. [faints dead away]

ok, and what the hell, a pic of our dinner. leftover from Korean place serving uber-krispy, non-sweet/gloopy fried chicken, and kimchi fried rice with radish pickle (daikon I think). Plus, a Guamanian steamed chicken sausage wrapped in banana leaf I had in the freezer from another take-out foray weeks ago.

18 Likes

Oh, and I did this after my walk:

Nobu’s miso-cured black cod ie sable, starting tonight, to be had in a couple of days. Made the Saikyo miso earlier this evening and had to let it cool.

The fish is so much cheaper here than on the east coast (I just learned California coast is one of the sources, no duh) plus it was on sale at WF during my last online shop.

I’ve done this prep many times with other fish, but first time with this. Very excited!

image image

14 Likes

The “dreaded” Pacific NW grilled salmon, but with preserved lemon gremolata.

16 Likes

Dreaded old school pnw salmon and delicious .

3 Likes

A piece of fromager d’Affinois, dark chocolate, fig jam, honey, and a bottle of stout.

20 Likes

I hope it helped wipe away some of the blahs. That’s a gorgeous pic!

1 Like

Now THAT’S what I’m talking about! (And you, too!)
Way better than a cup of Cheddar Goldfish! LOL

2 Likes

Thank you for helping me rethink my “We need dinner and I’m tired of cooking” repertoire. I could convince my husband that this is dinner—he’s not buying my argument that a bowl of popcorn can be a meal. Even though popcorn has plenty of fiber and is plant-based. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Made the Cantonese wonton including the wrapper.

It turned out better than anticipated. It would have been better if the wonton were cooked longer in the boiling water. The skin was al dente, slightly too hard for a Chinese dish. I used shrimp roe noodle instead of the standard alkaline fine noodle.

Inspired by @Mr_Happy 's meal a while, I used the remaining dumpling wrapper to make the Hong You Chao Shou, Sichuanese Wontons in Chilli Oil Sauce using Fuchsia Dunlop’s recipe. Turned out fine, but restaurant version I’ve eaten in Asia were better. I notice that the wrapper sheets that I made last night turned slightly darker today. So I bet those ready made ones must have something chemical added to keep perpetually the same colour. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sichuanese-wontons-in-chilli-oil-sauce-em-hong-you-chao-shou-em-51147600

18 Likes

@Saregama @ChristinaM

I tried a pin-prick amount straight up and even I was blown away by the garlic! And I love garlic!

So I ended up brushing my Naan with it while frozen, and by the time it was done heating in the oven, the toum caused a nice golden color to form. Flavor was excellent.

Only one picture from dinner last night, and that was another batch of our new favorite Indo-Chinese green chili channa.

17 Likes

I never knew that shrimp roe noodles existed. I’ll have to look for some.

Good ones have intense shrimp roe flavour. (Bad ones are more or less like normal noodles.) If you couldn’t find that, the alternative is you can add some dried shrimp roe after cooking. I regret that my last Hong Kong trip, I just forgot to buy.

1 Like

I assume that the Chinese/Thai food stores are still open. I’ll look for them next week when I’m in the city.

Inventive idea for using the toum you were given. Did you buy or make the frozen naan? I’m curious if there’s a decent packaged naan that might be available in a grocery store.

Why? I’m missing naan in this time of distancing. I tried to make naan at home, but the level of interest in the proceedings from both my husband and the dog was intense. I found it challenging to master something new with all eyes in the house watching my every move, even as much as I love them.

7 Likes

Like taking a test with the teacher watching over your shoulder as you write out your answers.

5 Likes