What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

And I don’t want to make a mess of precious flour and yeast. Fortunately my flawed attempt at naan was consumed enthusiastically.

Humans and the canine alike.

8 Likes

The Naan was frozen. It was actually the Shop Rite “Trading Post” brand. I find that it is a decent substitute for the frozen naan at the Indian market, which is about 20 minutes away.

I find frozen naan is so much better than the Stonefire naan which everyone seems to love. It is more of a pizza-like flatbread than actual naan. More firm than fluffy. Actually, the worst frozen naan I’ve ever had was still better than Stonefire.

I brushed the frozen naan with the toum and put in the oven for about 10 minutes. Comes out perfect. Slight crunch on bottom, still a little fluffy on top.

However, I have had the pleasure of making naan from scratch. You can read about it here :slight_smile: : https://eatingnewjersey.net/2019/05/29/making-our-own-naan/

4 Likes

Here’s a pic of last night’s Naan. “Imported from India”. True or not, it’s decent. There’s three naan in a pack and lately its been three packs for $5. VERY reasonable considering Stonefire is $3 for a pack of two.

At the Indian market, we buy the frozen Swad brand which is an even better deal. Something like 5 Naan for $2.

2 Likes

Thank you for these pointers! I dismissed the idea of supermarket naan before the big stay-at-home, preferring to buy fresh because it was accessible.

I’ll look for frozen product on my next supply run.

1 Like

Maybe its the additives and preservatives that go into fresh Naan (such as Stonefire, but not limited to them) that cause it to become more firm and pizza dough-like. Frozen always seems to be better, unless you are making it yourself, or of course, getting it from your favorite restaurant.

3 Likes

Dinner last couple nights. Sunday: spring lamb breast riblets, salad, corn on the cob, and garlic toast. Ribs were generously rubbed with Penzey’s Turkish seasoning and squirted with fresh lemon. We put them on the grill, the connective tissue could have been more done. Next time, into the IP for 10 minutes before the grill. Will have to wait for new lamb in the fall though.
Last night for Meatless Monday, veggie burgers with avocado, lettuce and onion. Pathetic bun found in freezer. Sweet Potato fries with fry sauce. Good dinner all in all, and we’re working thru our freezer stash, partially.

15 Likes

Yes, in other times fresh naan does come to us from a restaurant. Yum. Now I’ll give the frozen stuff a go if my grocery has it.

1 Like

Nice idea! I love toum, one of my all-time favorite condiments!

1 Like

Trader Joe’s frozen naan looks so similar and is excellent.

2 Likes

I transformed Vietnamese beef stew into Japanese curry beef with rice. Worked so well! The kiddo didn’t care for it (“too spicy” - but not hot at all) and ate leftover ham, cheese, and black bean quesadilla from last night.

16 Likes

When my nephews were younger, they used “too spicy” as a catchall for “there’s flavors in this I don’t want to deal with” - so if I used some cumin on roasted cauliflower, it would be “too spicy” - but garlic was fine :joy:

Both the vietnamese and japanese meals look amazing! Clever transformation!

6 Likes

Mexican tonight for everyone which is a nice change.

I love tinga and had ordered chipotles with that in mind a while back (as well as “street taco” sized flour tortillas for myself - everyone else prefers corn so we always have those on hand), so I made Rick Bayless’ recipe with chicken thighs and potatoes for taco stuffing (potato-only version extracted for the vegetarian adult).

Kids want plain cheese quesadillas instead of tacos for some reason but the rest of the meal is common - elotes/grilled corn, refried black beans, guacamole, and roasted cauliflower (I used taco seasoning on it).

8 Likes

Exactly! Perfect translation. We praised him for trying something new, gave him the phrase, “I don’t care for it right now,” and moved on. Bigger fish to fry.

5 Likes

Dinner hit the spot.

Our handyman who is mexican was still working outside at dinnertime so we served chicken tinga tacos to someone who knows what it’s actually supposed to taste like… :roll_eyes: I said it would be like going to his place and having him serve us indian food :rofl: Poor guy. But it tasted pretty good to me :joy:

I made some cabbage slaw for crunch, which was a nice foil for the spice of the tinga.

Enough leftovers too, which makes me happy!

15 Likes

Margaritas in just the cutest glasses and shrimp tacos for Taco Tuesday. A very blah pic but they were delicious.

16 Likes

I realized I hadn’t had a salad in weeks, so I bought romaine at the grocery store the other day and made ginormous steak Caesar salads for dinner. I felt very virtuous and health conscious until I drank an entire bottle of wine during my weekly college-friend Zoom game night afterwards!

13 Likes

Fantastic

Some meatballs following this Serious Eats recipe by Daniel Gritzer. Pretty straightforward meatball recipe outside of the optional minced gelatinized chicken broth (or better than bouillon broth in my case). Sauced with some Rao’s marinara.

Also a salad:

13 Likes

Those wontons look really good. Seems like a lot of effort to make the homemade wrappers but I’m guessing they taste better than the store bought ones!

4 Likes

image Buffalo chicken wings, oven baked at high temp so came out nice and crispy

14 Likes