What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

After a hella day at work fixing errors not of my own making, I got home at 4pm and said work was done.

So it was a Dinner Redux from last week: Cheeseburger on a lightly toasted brioche bun with ketchup on the bottom bun, wedge salad (a couple tomatoes and cuke slices added) with homemade Russian dressing, and CHEEPS for dinner.

Damn straight there was wine.

18 Likes

Thxs. Thought it best to check on the old place to make sure all is well.

1 Like

Happy birthday!:tada:

3 Likes

Chicken cutlets for me too! A very “brown” meal but delicious nonetheless. Side of mashed sweet potatoes.

Unexpectedly called in to work today, so there was whiskey.

14 Likes

Mashup of freezer leftovers and produce needing to be used: mapo-ish tofu with eggplant and shiitakes thrown in, roast broccoli with pepper flakes and lemon, and cauliflower rice. A VERY large Manhattan went with. Forgot to take photos, because my brain has dissolved into mush, but the Manhattan was in a coffee mug emblazoned with ‘Best. Uncle. Ever.’ Because I’m classy like that.

10 Likes

Happy birthday! :cherries:

1 Like

:heart:it​:rofl:

2 Likes

Last night’s dinner. French Dips with sautéed mushrooms, onions & gruyere cheese. We love the wine we had with them - a favorite for a few years. Then, blessed sleep! :sleeping:

16 Likes

A few meals this week. I was able to pick up some pre-orders groceries at a local restaurant. Last night was chicken tacos.

Tonight was inspired by a local Mexican place - “spa nachos.” See, if you put roasted brussel sprouts and cauliflower on nachos, they are virtually health food. Add some sour cream, cilantro, tomatillo puree and life is good.

18 Likes

I had dinner at my sister’s last night (local take-out Thai) and BF made himself dinner, which included this vaguely Middle Eastern/Indianish but bland rice. Tonight I doctored it up with tons of ghee, dill, and salt. Made hummus, turmeric chicken with ginger and scallions, and spinach sauteed with garlic and a little Calabrian chili paste. Brushed store-bought pita with ghee and warmed them up. Olives/radishes/scallions as mezze. Could have left the chicken out, everything else was so good…

oh! and the sourdough starter i started on Monday:

stinky baby… she’s HUGE! :grin:

18 Likes

Tonight I repurposed some leftover roast chicken pulled off the bone, transformed into a chicken curry with leftover sauteed spinach and chickpeas. served over brown rice. it was totally delicious. While I have wonderful family recipes for more authentic dishes, tonight I used Maya Kaimal’s Madras curry simmer sauce as a base. It’s excellent, as are her other variations of simmer type sauces. I try to always have some in the pantry. Normally I use one of the sauce bases with sauteed chicken starting from raw, but now that i now i can successfully repurpose leftover chicken, this is huge. The result was still amazing and we all enjoyed it. forgot to take pics. chocolate chip cookie bars for dessert.

12 Likes

She’s beautiful. Time for feeding ?

2 Likes

Mine would be more like this…

And sorry that your May trip with the family is cancelled. (I’m guessing.)

Normally I would have my next holiday(s) already booked and arranged. For the first time ever, I don’t have any holiday plan for the rest of the year! Normally I know 1 or 2 years in advance where I will be visiting.

9 Likes

Thurs. was day 4, where i was told to rip my heart out and toss most of her away, and then add new. she has not risen at all since then! but, i had to take her out of the oven because i used it. so i’m hoping by morning she’ll recover and know me as her mami again.

4 Likes

If your starter doesn’t develop properly, you may wish to try Maggie Glezer’s:

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/2390/firm-starter-glezer-recipe

I’ve been using it successfully for over 10 years.

3 Likes

thank you! so far so good! I don’t have rye flour, just AP.
this is what I’ve been following:

i just read this morning that at this point, the starter won’t rise at all, but to continue feeding it. i shall carry on!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! Hoping next year’s is much, much, more festive. But it looks like yours is off to a great start!

i have plane tix for CDMX end of May, Vancouver in Sept., and BCN in Oct. For sure not going to CDMX :sob::sob::sob:. Doubtful about Vancouver, hoping the “big” trip to Spain can happen… But i know it’s all very unlikely. No hotels were booked, at least.

2 Likes

Thank you for the birthday wishes - and yes, the Seattle-Vancouver-Alaska trip is canceled. Incredibly disappointing, but we plan to reschedule for next year (pending resolution of the current crisis). We also had a short trip to northern Michigan planned for the summer to visit with my parents and siblings, so if things are back to normal by then we will extend that trip to a full week or more - plenty of vacation to use up now!

4 Likes

Thank you! It was a quiet day but at least the food was good! :grin:

2 Likes