What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Last night was a bit of an Indian feast. Roast cauliflower with crushed fennel and cumin seeds. Mutton chops with a rub of coriander, fennel and cardamom. First time cooking mutton rather than lamb chops. I put them in a very hot (250°c ) oven. Not quite a tandoor. Had to finish in the pan to render the fat. I’m not saying they were tough but the missus did say eating them was most exercise she’d had all day. Tasted good though. Red lentil dal, usually make a Sri Lankan version with coconut milk but the mutton chops have a North Indian vibe so just used water. Also roti and coriander chutney stirred into yoghurt.

17 Likes

Awww, thanks. But leftovers weren’t that inspiring. They were just the means to fill my belly after a frustrating day.

1 Like

Still cooking my way through the lovely fish from Local 130 home delivery service. This was black bass. I’ll be placing another order in a couple of days. High remarks from the crowd. Sides of cucumber salad, grilled broccoli and potatoes. I’m feeling flush with produce since our grocery order arrived.

I really prefer to use the side burner on the grill to do fish. My stove fan is terrible and this keeps all the mess and smells outside.

17 Likes

How delicious! What was the sauce?

Very simple, vermouth to deglaze, butter and capers. Yum!

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve had them my whole life. Oh wait, I have. It is time for a change. LOL

1 Like

Hell yeah! Lately my favorite to cook with.

1 Like

I can’t remember if it was you or @MsBean but one of you had that great suggestion. I picked up a bottle just for this but now realize I could start making :cocktail::cocktail::cocktail: too!

2 Likes

Perhaps both of us, but I have used it a lot in the last few months. So much more rich than regular wine, red or white.

1 Like

It may have been both of us. I’ve been using vermouth instead of white wine for years. I used to keep a bottle hidden at work as I often needed a small amount of white wine for a demo.

6 Likes

Broccoli and teriyaki chicken. Cooking at the cabin.

18 Likes

Tonight was breaded chicken fillets with cauliflower and broccoli cheese. Not only is it great comfort food and used up some veggies that needed using. I also find making a bechemal or cheese sauce very relaxing. Same with risotto. It’s not that difficult and a bit repetitive but it demands your full attention.

13 Likes

Never had it but I know that’s got to be great. Much like how cornichons are great in tartiflette.

1 Like

Delicious spread!

The chops especially sound fantastic.

I’ve been vibing on dal fry recently - very simple ingredients, but tastes amazing.

1 Like

No photo but yesterday was inspired by Jewish deli grub. A sweet and sour cabbage and beef soup and challah. My older son, who I was convinced would bleh because he doesn’t like savories with a sweet component, had 3 bowls of soup! He surprised me for sure. Tonight is Thai night. If I remember, I’ll click and post.

5 Likes

Like the baby in a king cake.

Jealous of your cauli/broc cheese. It reminds me of growing up in the 70s and 80s, and getting fed all those cauli and cheese or broc and cheese out of the birdseye freezer, and you had to drop the plastic bags in boiling water for a while. Nostalgia! No one in my current household but me would consider eating a thing like this, which is sadness.

3 Likes

We made oven pulled pork with country style Italian runner beans (with thick-cut bacon) and a buttery quinoa-rice blend simmered in chicken stock with bay leaves.

19 Likes

Quarantine on your birthday means plenty of time to bake a cake! I had sour cherries in the freezer from last summer but wanted something other than pie, so I found a recipe from Cafe Fernando for an upside down almond cake.

Waiting for sushi delivery (supporting a small local place) and will have cake after, but I am sorely tempted to dive in. The glaze is so pretty!

26 Likes

Spiffy cabin - Nice!

11 Likes