What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Yeah, “Butter Masala” is not really a thing. There’s either Chicken Tikka Masala or Butter Chicken (also Chicken Makhni). I guess the label is aimed more at American tastes, or people that do not know much about Indian food.

Patak’s is fine. I always have to add extra butter or cream, and definitely cilantro. I also appreciate that their Vindaloo is actually spicy.

1 Like

What do you think of the Seriouseats Recipe? Is it worth it? I DO like the idea of broiled chicken. I cannot get myself to eat simmered white meat chicken. :confounded: I have tried it from some of the local restos, but at this point, I only eat it if it specifies its using thighs.

Trash novelas. Nothing I’d want to reveal. LOL But it’s easy reading and because my weekday routine and internal time clock are completely out of whack, I’m no longer tired at appropriate times.

4 Likes

Who needs to think when you can’t sleep, right??

3 Likes

It might be. Whenever I do chicken in a simmer sauce, I always marinate it in yogurt and curry before grilling it on my grill pan. Its the closest I can get to tandoori flavor, though of course not the same. Simmered white meat chicken is just too boring. Shrimp, on the other hand, I cook directly in the sauce.

2 Likes

Sending wishes for quick healing to your family member, @Rooster.

That looks good. Its been cold enough here that I’m still in the mood for stew-type dinners. Thanks for posting the recipes. I think I have most of the ingredients on hand.

2 Likes

EXACTLY. Mindless reading eventually helps.

1 Like

So sorry to hear you and your family are in my thoughts

Definitely thinking about you and your family. NYC has amazing hospitals. XO.

3 Likes

Day? Month? Year? Shits getting weird, friends. Roasted chicken thighs with various mustards and garlic. Quinoa salad with cucumber, tomato, parsley. Other stuff. Broccoli? Wine. Duh.

15 Likes

We got takeout tonight for the first time from Fratelli’s in Middletown NJ. We ordered a sampling including eggplant rollatini, a pizza with mushrooms and onions, and a pepperoni calzone. There are lots of leftovers! They even threw in two cannoli because they accidentally sent our pizza on a delivery order to someone else and thanked me for waiting. Very friendly service and delicious food. The pizza is superior to most places in our area (there are more pizzerias than you can count and most of them are mediocre), and I’m glad I won’t have to drive a half hour for a decent pie anymore.

Full review coming to the NJ board tomorrow.

17 Likes

Homemade shrimp cakes with old school cocktail sauce kicked up with horseradish and lemon.

A tasty use of frozen shrimp lurking in our freezer.

18 Likes

I love Maya Kaimal’s sauces. they are legit. I prefer the refrigerated fresh versions, but also buy the bottled ones when i can to keep in the pantry. My favorite is the Madras curry, which is a bit spicier and not creamy. excellent products. It’s not like freshly made, but saves HOURS and is a really really good substitute. also, it works beautifully to transform leftover rotisserie (etc.) chicken.

3 Likes

My fave, too.

1 Like

Tonight I had contemplated leftovers to make some room in the fridge, but that seemed really a let down for Sunday night family dinner. Made jambalaya with langoustines and andouille instead. Kids opted for fajita burrito bowls. image image

17 Likes

Love shrimp cakes. Best use of frozen shrimp there is if you ask me.

2 Likes

Looks pretty damn good to me @gcaggiano, including the cannoli. Our favorite Italian place has changed their cannoli, and sadly, although house made now, we don’t like them anymore. But the tiramisu is fab, which is our go to.

2 Likes

Agree @MAH, especially about the Maiya Kamal refrigerated sauces. I especially love the Vindaloo…

1 Like

Have been craving a shrimp burger or Po Boy @tomatotomato; thanks for the inspiration -yum!

1 Like