What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Mrs. P made her famous Andouille sausage pizza using Stonefire crispy Artisan thin crust. It went great with an awesome Gigondas.

15 Likes

Girl. Some days they are the ONLY thing that helps. Thdnk goodness liquor stores are considered essential!

6 Likes

I had one brief stint in high school and I still help a friend out occasionally at her restaurant. Neither in the kitchen, though when the latter does a big event I help with plating.

Other than that, I pick things up as I go. Anthony Bourdain for adventure and seeing what’s out there. Jacques Pepin and Julia Child for technique (and not feeling guilty about butter). In terms of TV and now internet influences, I’d say the Food Network has contributed the least.

5 Likes

TRUTH. On both counts.

Tonight’s dinner: chicken cutlets, rice, and these babies below. My famous Brussels Sprouts with leftover ham (instead of bacon), brown sugar, and bourbon. Along with a shot for the chef.

17 Likes

I had some random bits of veggies that needed to be used up including broccoli stems, leeks, cabbage and a wrinkly eggplant. They turned into a Panang Curry with shrimp.

It probably could have used something red but I the only red thing I could find were maraschino cherries.

16 Likes

Well, did my first Zoom settlement conference today - resounding fail on many of fronts. Oh well, it’s Friday. Grilled burgers (no buns in the house so lettuce it was). Grilled asparagus, and a quick potato salad with celery, pickles, sun dried tomatoes, tons of pepper, basil, sherry vinegar, and Just Mayo. Lambrusco to drink.

16 Likes

I made the kiddo dinner at 5:00 and we adults had takeout tacos at 8:30. All were happy.

15 Likes

Muy Bonito!

Those are very nice tacos. Are the top ones lengua? They’re my favorite when done right.

1 Like

Agree.

And also in @PHREDDY’a defense, we have all had a day where we just can’t take another negative anything. That’s ok too. Because, feelings :woman_shrugging:t2:

It’s a tough time for everyone. Sometimes we just need a break from that. But also, this is our break, so we should feel comfortable sharing.

I like that. And I’m ok with it. If I’m not, I skip ahead a bit.

9 Likes

Perfectly said @Saregama - thanks for verbalizing your thoughts.

3 Likes

Neighborhood happy hour in driveways (some people really don’t understand distancing… some of us had to walk backwards, sideways, any way, while trying not to be rude but maintain distance as the creepers came progressively closer).

No one felt like doing anything. So we ordered pizza for the kids and indian for the adults who wanted chinese but it wasn’t an option tonight. Meh.

I made snacks with drinks - bhajiya (indian tempura if you will, spiced chickpea flour batter around thinly sliced potatoes - and other veg, onion for eg).

And I needed dessert but didn’t want to make something I’d be tempted by tomorrow - used a GF brownie mix (half the household is GF) doctored up a bit. It scratched the itch, but isn’t good enough for me eat again, which is perfect.

Also made the kids microwave cupcakes earlier, for a family zoom party for a grandparent’s birthday.

Glorious sky this evening, and sunset!

19 Likes

Yep, one lengua and one carnitas

2 Likes

Those look amazing! Might have to try these soon!

1 Like

Looks great! Is the ‘buffalo’ part the sauce?

Exactly.

I bought a jar of buffalo pizza sauce (Paesana brand) though I wasn’t a fan of the flavor on its own. So I started with a light coating of marinara and overlaid streaks of the buffalo sauce with a spoon. In the future, I plan to investigate what I might concoct using Frank’s hot sauce. I didn’t like the jar of buffalo pizza sauce as much as I hoped.

Also I mostly used crumbled blue cheese combined with bits of fresh mozzarella, for creamy cheesy goodness.

Last night’s pie was pretty good. Still more tinkering to do on the buffalo-ness.

3 Likes

Buffalo at the end, perhaps, so it’s on top of the ingredients? Part of the buffalo-ness for me is the acidic punch, which may be easier to cut through without being under the toppings?

1 Like

Pizza was a common dish to break Passover growing up

3 Likes

Thursday night was katsu curry but instead of the usual breadcrumbed chicken I used aubergine. Aubergine slices dipped in potato flour, egg and then panko breadcrumbs and fried and finished off in the oven. Turned out lovely and crisp outside and soft in the middle. Cabbage and rice to go with.

Yesterday was fish pie made with salmon. Normally prefer white fish but hey it’s what we had. More cabbage as a side.

Tonight I’m cooking chilli con carne with venison mince. As chocolate is classic with both venison and chilli con carne I have borrowed a bit of the 85% cocoa solid the missus got to make chocolate fondant to grate on at the end.

13 Likes

@aussieshepsx2 - that dinner looks wonderful! FWIW, I am not fan of Zoom. I have to use it now to teach and attend meetings, and I hope my involvement with it will be brief - yuck!

4 Likes