What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

We gave kid #2 & SIL a FaceTime tutorial on the lamb and pilaf. The student outperformed the teacher!

18 Likes

I’ll say your delivery meals all looked delicious. I think you have a culture that can have elaborated food for delivery. Here the difference of restaurant and delivery food have bigger gaps. I think since the confinement is prolonged for 1 more month, maybe the restaurants need to think of something quick.

3 Likes

No Easter tradition here. Meal tonight was scallop with Sichuan chili sauce, cucumber and rice.

Last night was shaved cauliflower with hazel nut oil, red squids and cauliflower puree.

16 Likes

Very lovely! You seem to make more Italian food than Spanish food.

Tonight I made smoked, rubbed pork chops, steamed green beans, green salad, aople sauce, and a casserole of leftover brown rice, cheddar and mozz cheese, chopped leftover broccoli and zucchini, bound with cream of mushroom soup and a splash of egg white and topped with toasted panko.

14 Likes

Caught a cooking/travel show today that featured a restaurant that specializes in crawfish etouffée, so was inspired to create something in that vein for dinner. Ended up with pan seared salmon and broccoli, both smothered in a creamy shrimp, tomato and fennel etouffée-esque sauce, seasoned with vermouth, preserved lemon, coriander and fennel pollen.

14 Likes

Thank you :blush: Your home cooked meals always look delicious and seem like restaurant quality. I am trying to support the local restaurants by doing takeout while they are closed for dining in. I have been ordering my steaks rare so we can heat them up without them getting well done.

3 Likes

Thank you for the recommendation. I was going to ask if anyone had an opinion.

This looks great. I just got a 4lb brisket in today’s Whole Foods delivery. I don’t have fennel but I think I’ll use this recipe as my guide tomorrow. Thanks!

2 Likes

Buffalo chicken breast sandwich with blue cheese crumbles mixed with a dab of creme fraiche. DH had a burger on pretzel bun. Cheesy puffs were the side.

14 Likes

I made duck pastrami melts tonight, with the duck from Cochon Butcher in NOLA from my last visit there (hard to believe that was only 3 months ago… :sob:) Calabrese chili spread and jack cheese on mine, BF had a variety - cheddar, colby & pepper jack. He made potato salad a couple days ago, with red onion and sweet pickle relish, that went well with. but that duck! rich and super smoky.

Oh! and I made The Kitchn’s no-knead bread! Turned out great - that’s what the melts are on. Still working on the sourdough starter.

no-knead%20bread%202

19 Likes

Simple comfort food here: pork chop (pan fried, then finished in oven), Spanish rice with corn, and tostones. Nothing healthy about this.

14 Likes

healthy shmealthy, that looks amazing. I’ve never had a tostone I’ve liked, but I’ve been wanting to try making them for ages. Yours look perfect. Can you share your method, please?

1 Like

Well, it’s very simple. You take a plantain and cut it into roughly one inch pieces. You then fry them on both sides, but not too much since its just the first step. The key is removing before they are brown. Next: smash them in a plantain press* (pictured below; it was given to us by my BF’s mother, who is Spanish) and then you fry again until crispy and golden brown. Season with salt and [highly recommended] garlic powder. Optimal sauce to splatter them with is Goya salsa picante.

*You can use anything to smash them, really. I’ve read using a plate works just as well.

15 Likes

Beautiful, thank you!

1 Like

Made pizza for the first time in a long time - topped with mozzarella, tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and some arugula.

18 Likes

Thank you for the photo tutorial on tostones. We love them though I have never made them myself.

Tostone time may have to happen. Soon.

1 Like

I reswizzled a roasted tomato soup I’d previously made into the base for a sort-of chana masala. I didn’t have some of the spices and had to improvise.

The soup was meh so this was a tasty improvement. Right for a rainy evening as the wind howled outside.

12 Likes

@tomatotomato @mariacarmen

It is really one of the easiest snacks/apps out there. Much easier than homemade fries even. Start to finish is less than 20 minutes, and most of that time is waiting for the oil to heat. The only- I repeat only- tricky part is the smashing. Press or no press, sometimes it sticks or breaks apart. I have found that there is nothing that can be done about this. Its all about the plantain itself.

2 Likes

Last night was indulgent, and something I’ve never made at home before. It was eggplant parmesan over a spaghetti with vodka sauce. Although it was a bit of a “pasta bar” in fact. Picky one who doesn’t like cream sauces just got a jar of prego with his pasta. Also, the fried eggplant w/o the melty cheese. Picky two who doesn’t like eggplant got some sauteed chicken sausage with his. Everyone liked it, but no one was able to eat too much of it due to the richness. Leftovers stored in 5! different containers. I think that’s a record. Mom is taking tonight off and pulling chili out of the freezer.

Yes, there is a complete lack of vegetables on the plate. But we had our fill at lunchtime with Vietnamese roll your own summer rolls.

13 Likes