What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Easter Sunday Dinner was one of my favorites: New England Boiled Dinner. Corned Beef was Cattleman’s Brand from Aldi. Its proven to be a solid brisket buy for us.

Had a Zoom Conference with kids & grandkids earlier in the afternoon. It was…interesting. It didn’t get Bombed. :smirk:

15 Likes

Saturday’s dinner, which was our family’s Zeder, was Michael Solomonov/Zahav’s Coffee Braised Brisket. I ordered the brisket from the restaurant’s meat purveyor, DeBragga. At the time if you used the promo code cooknsolo, the Cooknsolo Restaurant Group received 20% of your order amount to help support its workers.

I’ve always wanted to try the brisket though I would have preferred my first taste to be at the restaurant. As that was not possible, mine would have to do. It was DELICIOUS. I understand the hype. I’m glad I still have 2 big pieces of brisket frozen for a later date.

Not sure if anyone noticed but one of the eggs is double yolked. 6 out of a dozen of the eggs I recently received were doubles. Never had that before.

21 Likes

:rofl: too funny

That brisket! :heart_eyes: Definitely a meal worthy of a holiday feast.

2 Likes

Being able to get a lamb roast was the starting point for an Easter dinner that brightened our spirits. Ideas from Ottolenghi’s “Simple” inspired me on the lamb and the eggplant side. Though I needed to adapt because I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand.

Slow-cooked lamb roast. So tender. And there will be leftovers.

Roasted eggplant drizzled with lemony tahini sauce.

Duckfat potatoes with rosemary. Because life is better with potatoes roasted until golden brown.

14 Likes

Because life is better with potatoes roasted in DUCK FAT!

5 Likes

But anyway, you have the time… check the filters, and then after you have expended all of that energy, you can reward yourself with something to eat!..
PS…my clothes are now loose fitting after I purchased everything in one size larger!

2 Likes

Wow!

1 Like

Sounds and looks fab!

It was the first time I ever cooked brisket. It’s not usually a family favorite. It won’t be the last.

4 Likes

I highly recommend the recipe. It takes 3 days but they are easy days and really very little actual work.

1 Like

Now and then I get a tub of pulled brisket that my butcher makes in-house. My husband didn’t think he was a fan, but like your family, he is now.

After the original meal, you might enjoy brisket in tacos, chili, pasta, nachos, or as a pizza topping. The brisket runs out before the ideas will!

4 Likes

Gorgeous! Glad it was delicious!

I haven’t been to Zahav because it opened after I stopped traveling to philly, but I did read the cookbook. I’ve been thinking about doing the famous lamb shoulder while there’s all this cooking time…

2 Likes

And a killer brisket grilled cheese on sourdough with caramelized onions.

5 Likes

A magical combo

The brisket I ordered was about 14 pounds but I divided into 3 pieces and froze the 2 others. Next time I’ll cook more in order to have more left overs. We didn’t end up with much after Saturday’s dinner.

The bad part about being turned on to brisket is now I want a smoker…

5 Likes

Thank you.

I’ve never been to Zahav either but have always wanted to - it just hasn’t worked out yet. Cooknsolo has done a number of special promos where you order a dinner for Friday night pickup. I did the lamb shoulder a couple of weeks ago (review in the March thread). They did a Passover seder dinner which is how I got turned on to the brisket. This week is Abe Fisher’s Short Rib dinner. I think it sold out in an hour. 100% of the net proceeds go to support staff.

2 Likes

I recommend Grill Dome.

Char Sui pork tenderloin, steamed rice w/butter and scallions, and broccolini. Pretty tasty! I made 2 tenderloins so I could freeze 1/2 for another day.

17 Likes

Easter dinner last night; lamb was overdone to our liking, but extremely tender and delicious anyway. Rice pilaf and salad for sides. Wine was fab, as was the lemon tart with an almond shortbread crust. We packed up a meal with ample leftovers and 2 pieces of tart for my friend’s dad who lives a few miles away. It was a beautiful day here too - bonus.

22 Likes