What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

That is one sexy chicken @ChristinaM!

1 Like

:lips::poultry_leg::wink:

1 Like

DH cooked tonight :raised_hands:

T-bones, potatoes au gratin (Cook’s Illustrated), and garlic broccoli.)

I did NOT finish.

19 Likes

A quiet day. Every day seems to be running in to each other.

Garlic-rosemary leg of lamb, peppered roasted potatoes (which I screwed up, but mash 'em up with butter, and it still works!), and asparagus.

Lemon Posset with raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries for dessert.

Wine.

21 Likes

Wowza! That is a gorgeous leg of lamb!

5 Likes

Only whole legs of lamb at my local Market Basket, so I ask the meat guy to cut it in half, showed him where I wanted the cut for the sirloin half, and got it at the same $2.99/lb. price the whole leg was going off. SCORE!

13 Likes

Dessert looks especially good! My DH doesn’t like lemon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

We had Dh’s vacuumed sealed meatloaf - more like a pate - he forms 3 loaves at a time on a parchment lined baking sheet using equal parts of ground beef, pork and veal with onions, bell peppers, egg and panko. He’s grouchy so won’t tell me the rest of the seasonings. This locked in place quarantine is going to result in some homicides.

4 Likes

Wow! Magazine worthy! Very nice!

2 Likes

Since we had our “traditional” dinner last night, I was in the mood for Thai. Despite working a full shift, I came home and decided to make curry puffs (to have as an app for some grilled chicken, broccoli, and a red curry peanut sauce). The dough is currently resting. Wanted to surprise the BF and say “Hey, I can do dough too!” Who knows, it could be a disaster. At least the filling smells good.

7 Likes

I had the best of intentions to make a lovely Easter meal, but after making 10 lbs of merguez sausage (ground the lamb and made my own harissa, plus stuffed it into casings) yesterday, I was a little tired of looking at my kitchen. We went for a lovely drive in the country in the morning, worked in the garden in the afternoon and then did a 7th birthday call with my niece and family this evening. By the time we were done with the call, we were a full bottle of rose to the wind, so pizza delivery to the rescue! :slight_smile: :wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass::pizza:

7 Likes

You are my kitchen goddess! I have a 5# sack waiting for inspiration. You are it! Maybe even tomorrow.

1 Like

Paryzer stole my words. Absolutely perfect!

1 Like

Sopa seca! wasn’t quite seca enough. I stupidly used pretty much the same ratio of liquid to starch as i do for rice, but duh, little fideos ain’t rice. so they weren’t as separate as I would have liked, but the flavor was great. I had a bunch of leftover cilantro/onion from a take-out lunch yesterday, so I blended that with tomato/chicken Maggi bouillon broth, s&p, cumin, a packet of Sazon, smoked paprika and cayenne, Toasted the fideo, added a heaping tbs. of tomato paste, poured the liquid in. OMG so good. Carnitas from a freezer dive were heated in their own fat until they crisped. Fat corn tortillas leftover from the same lunch, and i made a curtido of sorts with leftover cabbage, and a radish. All that was missing was avocado and sour cream. The sopa seca got better as it sat out.

17 Likes

There will be an update to this curry puff odyssey. Boy will there be an update.

1 Like

Alright, so the curry puffs came out looking like Thai empanadas. I’m not a dough guy but I wanted to be adventurous. I guess it was a little too dry, because the forming was difficult (I have experience with pierogies and am quite good at them). This preparation is an exercise in why I don’t bake. When I cook, I can alter the recipe and know what works and what does not. When I bake/make dough, I follow it exactly because I don’t know any better and it needs to be precise.

My fear of them busting open while deep frying was realized after a lone tester started to open up (pictured front left in the “group photo”). So one was enough. I air-fried the rest and while they did not puff up gloriously and have that golden brown color, they were good enough.

Overall: dough C-. Filling A+ (absolutely delicious and similar to what I’ve had in restaurants.

What have we learnt? I will let my BF find a dough recipe and handle that end, while I will make the filling.

Happy fartin’ Easter.

14 Likes

Pan fried pork chops, pasta with lemon and capers, and a homegrown artichoke. Salad was cucumber and tomatoes with basil. A Cabernet Franc to drink.

17 Likes

Surf and turf I guess - some fish had been defrosted a couple of days ago but not cooked, and we had a sous vide steak.

I made crisp brussel sprouts in the oven - a never-ending quest to replicate the fried ones at the favorite local italian place. Apparently tonight I succeeded, per the toughest in-house critic. We had them with spicy harissa for dipping.

Kids had pasta. You may notice cheese was “added” by one.

Since the grill was on, we also cooked the two types of chicken kababs I had marinated earlier - malai kabab (green masala) and Bihari kabab (red masala). They’ll be good for lunches and dinners over the next few days. I hope I’m not sick of kababs at the end of this covid situation, because we have gotten awfully good at them :joy:

20 Likes

Aww you’re sweet. I was so excited masa was back in stock I bought 2 4# bags… I think one will be going home with me (whenever that is…)

I hear it makes very good cornbread too.

1 Like

Wilted salad , dry as a sock grilled pork an onion kabobs , with torpedo rice . I knew it all the way . Cheers .

10 Likes