What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Mine are today what is called Ukraine… called by me the “stetshel”.

I’m making your moms stew recipe at the moment . Of course I have to put a twist on it . Adding red wine and a little red wine vinegar. Still the parsnip is going to be king .

5 Likes

I am with you…familiar sauces or dishes are not only comfort food…but preparing these dishes are a comfort for me as well…

3 Likes

Just like them coming home from college and saying…can you make…“this” for me…
My instance was grilled salmon with “daddy’s” special sauce (mayo/hot sauce/mustard)…

2 Likes

Quiet day. Aren’t they all at this point?

I went freezer diving for dinner for something quick and easy.

Sketti and Sawce.
Lotsa grated Parm Reg.
Crusty buttered roll.
Wine.

You all know what that looks like. So no pic.

My sister, on the other hand, went all out tonight and sent me a pic. So her pic gets posted. LOL She demanded credit where credit was due, so here ya go, Sis.

“Ham and cheese stuffed chicken breast with reduced dijon mustard + chicken broth sauce, roasted spaghetti squash and broccoli. So pretty and pretty yummy!”

Her husband did the nice, clean plating.

They don’t do wine, however. That’s OK. I drink enough wine for all 3 of us. :rofl:

19 Likes

We had some outstanding takeout, al fresco on our deck, from Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport. It was well worth the 1 1/2 hour round trip. Below is a link to details and pictures.

5 Likes

tonight was swordfish simply seasoned with s/p/garlic/lemon/evoo, twice baked potatoes, roasted crispy brussels and a simple salad. really pleased with my foray out to the fishmonger today. happy to support an important local business and quick in/out of the small store. Anchor Seafood in Montvale.

9 Likes

I just added tater tots to my future shopping list.

4 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

Am I the only one who doesn’t like tater tots . I want to .

2 Likes

Slow cooker pot roast, mushroom gravy, cauliflower mashed potatoes. Aforementioned and previously pictured corn bread on the side. A brown comfort meal.

Cocktail tonight was a “Flatiron” Martini. Almost like a Vesper. Equal parts gin and vodka, some Lillet, and a Cointreau rinse.

17 Likes

Tonight: grilled andouille sausages, cauli rice w/cilantro & “Everything but the elote” seasoning & roasted asparagus. DH had wine, I had S. Pelligrino Essenza Morello Cherry & Pomegrante sparkling water, delicious!!!

13 Likes

Phreddys moms stew recipe. With a twist. Wine and a little red wine vinegar. The parsnips are the star . Thank you so much Phreddys mom . Just my typical bread . CHEERS

16 Likes

I think this would send me to an alternate universe after a few sips… :thinking:

1 Like

Looks delish!..A little wine… (I assume red) . I have to try that…so glad you enjoyed this dish!

1 Like

Belated Many Happy Returns!

1 Like

Grilling weather here last night. Steaks, quinoa, grilled broccoli and a cucumber salad. Fast and tasty.

16 Likes

That’s why I only had one and switched over to something lighter!

1 Like

Saturday dinner was whole wheat spaghetti in a spicy garlic and olive oil pan sauce with broccoli rabe, cherry tomatoes, and toasted panko. Parmesan grated at the table, not shown, for the win.

My take is much like Mark Bittman’s recipe at the NYT. Except I always say to use panko for the crumbs if you have any. Panko toasted with olive oil never disappoints. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012419-spaghetti-with-broccoli-rabe-toasted-garlic-and-bread-crumbs?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=1

15 Likes

Tonight was pork shoulder and fennel stew. I used the pork that was delivered on Friday. Same supplier as the venison burgers I cooked for dinner yesterday. Both the burgers yesterday and pork today were very good. Looking forward to eating all the rest of the meat.

20 Likes