What's for Dinner #55: The March Forward Into Spring Edition - March 2020

Thanks @paryzer - will certainly be exploring options with new Doc, to which I was assigned by my insurance, at the beginning of my health crisis. Wasn’t happy about the switch, but do like her, and feel she’s a good doc who asks all the right questions.

Happy eating through this unsettling time & hope you and your lovely wife remain well!

1 Like

Are we still in March or we just afraid of April Fool’s Day?

4 Likes

You had mentioned a while back that you made it vegetarian - I love that your kid is making it now too!

I will say that its restorative powers are indeed in play - I’ve been off and didnt have an appetite for lunch the past few days, but I converted one container of stock into proper chicken soup for lunch today by adding vegetables and it hit the spot!

I use those as picnic plates! The whole set is perfect for park stuff in the summer - wine glasses in cute colors!

Yes! I knew I was onto something :slight_smile: They are great for snacks or small meals too, and you can cram way more of them in the dishwasher than larger ceramics.

I think theres a lot of that going around - cooking/eating other people’s preferences, I mean.

We have certainly devolved a bit where common ground is concerned.

There’s a kid meal (usually very easy, with salad and veg common to the adults), then a veg adult meal and a non-veg adult meal. The trick for the adult meals is that the adult choosing the vegetable sides doesn’t always pick something that goes with the other meal, which can get frustrating.

I’m trying to suggest a single theme for the overall meal to simplify the matching, and also need for thinking. ie Italian for everyone, or Thai, Indian, etc. We have bad outcomes when one person goes rogue on cuisine and then the sides don’t work unless they’re just simply roasted veg or a big salad.

2 Likes

Thanks @Lambchop! I wish you the best of luck with the new doc, and hope she can find a solution to your sleepless nights!

Oh @shrinkrap, my oldest, at 34 sounds just the same - I empathize. She does eat a wide variety of stuff, but is picky about what goes with what. Family dinners have to be carefully decided, with heavy input from her. H is the one who totally spoiled her though!

I know; right? Or maybe it’s me. To her credit, she is a fan of the veg I grow.

I am always quoting The Little Red Hen.
Husband, OTOH, gives bread “with an open hand”…MY bread!

Today I asked if she wanted to pick peas and she said “wait…did you say PICK peas or EAT peas?”.

1 Like

I started a new thread here. Nowhere as eloquent as @lindawhit but hopefully it gets the job done:

6 Likes

Will do!

Here it is:
My mom’s recipe: (Which means I have been eating this for more than 6 decades!)
(6 servings)
2lbs of chuck cubed
one large onion diced
2 stalks of celery cut in small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
3 carrots cut into 3/4" bitesize pieces
1 parsnip cut into 3/4" bite size pieces
3 white potatoes cut into 1 1/2" pieces
2 tbls. tomato paste
14 ounce can of beef stock + I can of water
Kosher salt
Black pepper
1tbls. olive oil
Brown the meat in batches and remove from pot. Add onion, celery for 3 minutes, add garlic and return meat to pot. Add in stock, water tomato paste, s&p cover and let cook on a low flame just barely boiling for 1/2 hour. Add in carrots, parsnip and potatoes and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. If a thicker gravy is desired, thicken with two teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved in a 1/4 cup of cold water as the stew boils (be sure to cook out the corn starch)

Keep Safe and distance yourself!

7 Likes

Thank you so much . Nothing compares to this . I’m writing it down . Thank you again .

2 Likes

I knew it was the secret ingredient that turned the corner for me . The parsnip . I love my roots . It was my father’s secret in his cooking also . A Lithuanian.

3 Likes

My mom too! Her running joke when someone eats something she made “well, you sow the seeds you saved from the prior year into a complex mix of compost/dirt, then you move your tiny seedlings in and out of the sun 10,000 times until they are strong…”

2 Likes

I need to re-read that little book @shrinkrap; thanks for the reminder!

True story: hosted a morning book group here a couple decades ago, and had made a nice morning spread, everything homemade. I had even ground the whole wheat for the muffins. A friend looked at me when I told her and said WHO are you, The Little Red Hen?

3 Likes

Love your story @gracieggg; your mom sounds like a hoot :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve bookmarked your recipe @PHREDDY, and like @emglow101, will be writing it down. Thanks for posting.

Great job @ChristinaM - I do believe you’ve got a writer in your brain. As well, let’s all be thankful we don’t live in Kansas! (With all due respect to any members or readers, who in fact may live there…) Dodge City is pretty dang cool, and I hear KC is a fun town. Driving through endless cornfields in every direction was a truly disorienting experience for me.

1 Like

deleted. moved to April’s thread.

1 Like