What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Man that sounds delish and comforting…and the “along side”…sounds more perfect…

1 Like

Last night…
@RedJim got me in the mood for mushrooms and…
@gcaggiano got me in the mood for olive oil and garlic sauce, so…
On the way home from work, I bought shiitake, oyster, crimini and white - chopped them up and roasted them with a head of garlic (or two), olive oil and a bit of cayenne pepper (good for the heart) and served them atop a sourdough loaf (which was still warm when I bought it). The problem was we finished it before I had the chance to take any photos, but it absolutely hit the spot. Thank you guys!

10 Likes

Ah, simple pleasures…:man_dancing:

They sell these frozen at our local Publix grocery. Like bay scallops

Tonight… mini farfalle alla marinara made in the instant pot… not bad. Next time, I need to add some chopped beef for moisture.
I am now officially on vacation until next year. :partying_face:
Plan on visiting family, eating, and bingeing on The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
May you all have a wonderful holiday season and a Happy 2020!!

14 Likes

Enjoy your time off! Happy holidays! Wonderful having you around HO since you joined the merry band of thoughtful folks who gather here.

3 Likes

Thank you - So sweet. I am a constant taker-outer/restaurant-goer who has cooked more in the last 60 days since I’ve joined HO than I have in all the first 10 months of 2019 combined. Don’t know how long it will last, but… There is just something about cooking and posting online… I feel like I’m on an episode of Black Mirror :joy:
Happy Holidays to you too!

9 Likes

I always forget about yogurt as part of a flavorful marinade. Thanks for the reminder, @digga!

1 Like

@HungryAllTheTime
" has cooked more in the last 60 days since I’ve joined HO than I have in all the first 10 months of 2019 combined. Don’t know how long it will last, but… There is just something about cooking and posting online… I feel like I’m on an episode of Black Mirror"

What a great quote! I may have to share that with my "kids’!

1 Like

Cook and snap

2 Likes

Pssst… Don’t tell anyone, but I’m not sure what that means. Is that a Black Mirror reference? My kids think I should be all over that.

1 Like

No it’s a reference from legally blonde . Just have fun. Changed from bend to cook

1 Like

I was THINKING that! I was thinking bend and snap.
But I wasn’t thinking fun. I am now!

I would like to put out my recipe for my Creamy Mushroom and Barley soup:
1 cup of barley
1/2 half stick of butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of flour
8 ounces of cremini mushrooms
1 clove of garlic minces fine
1 quart of vegetable stock
one medium onion chopped
2 medium carrots shaved
one stalk of celery chopped
1/2 Tsp Kosher salt and pepper
two green scallions chopped fine
1 cup of mushroom liquor
1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Store bought cheese Croutons.
Sautee onions, celery and carrots in in butter and olive oil. Add barley and stir well and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Slice mushrooms and add garlic and mushrooms to pan, for 1 minute.
Add in flour and stir well cook for one minute.
Add all liquids and s&p…bring to a boil and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until barley is cooked.
Add in 1/2 cup of heavy cream and serve.
Serve with cheese croutons and chopped scallions.

17 Likes

Thanks, @PHREDDY soup sounds perfect!

1 Like

sounds great esp for this cold weather.

1 Like

Baked Country Style pork ribs with oven fried gold potatoes.

17 Likes

Bangers and mash (cauliflower, that is!).

17 Likes

Holiday season with the fam already. We arrived in stages.

Don’t expect to be doing much cooking, maybe here and there to relieve mom (when she’ll allow it :joy:).

Before leaving:

Cheung fun from Chinatown trip to buy XO sauce and mushrooms for fam (brown bec I poured the sweet soy into the container and it soaked in). Oh yeah, that’s chili crisp.

Half my lunch banh mi (lemongrass pork chop) for dinner - yummmm.

Dinner last night was mom’s roast chicken. Oof, so good. I watch, and I copy, and I watch, and I copy, but it ain’t never close. Pan-roasted, tiny bits of aromatics, s+p, lemon juice. More than the sum of its parts. No picture, too busy eating in bliss. Potatoes cooked in the same pan. Brother’s reaction upon arrival and being informed there were leftovers in the fridge was ridiculously enthusiastic relative to his reaction to seeing everyone :rofl:.

Here’s our “bread guy” in action- delivers fresh bread twice a day, sliced at the door. Check out that knife. I love this bread. Nothing comes close. He dropped off pao / dinner rolls too… soft, yeasty, perfect.

Oh I did cook up the mushrooms I carried - turned out very well. Fresh shiitakes, cut into wedges and glazed with a simplified tare sauce. Baby king oyster mushrooms cut into batons and sautéed in a butter-garlic sauce. The shiitake stems I turned into a pretty excellent first attempt at cream of mushroom soup.

21 Likes

I want to know this bread guy! Enjoy!!!

2 Likes