What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Spectacular photo.

8 Likes

Gracias!

1 Like

I don’t understand how people can dislike mushrooms, including my brother in law.

I adore!

2 Likes

Tip for the best flavor mushroom
after they are rehydrated in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes, be sure to squeeze the water out of the mushrooms. This way, the mushroom will acquire all the nice flavors , sauce etc that you add to. your dish.

6 Likes

It is funny you mention this, but I always put aside the mushroom liquor and use it later to flavor my creamy Mushroom and Barley soup…The umami it adds is just incredible!

10 Likes

Leftover soup tonight - no repeat pics.

1 Like

And DH. Not cepes, not morels, not chanterelles. Weird.

4 Likes

Grapefruit with green olive. Nice.

Enchiladas Suisa with chicken, red onion, cheese, green sauce.

17 Likes

I have yet to meet a mushroom I liked. Those little spongy fungus dirt balls make me want to gag. :nauseated_face: Makes me sad because they look so good in so many dishes!

1 Like

Quick pot of lentil soup with a buttered tortilla. Soup started with onions, carrots, celery, fennel, and herbs. Lentils, chicken stock, and a quick boil. DH has man flu (aka a cold) so this hit the spot.

5 Likes

Pork schnitzel . Tossed back in the pan with vinegar. Topped with greens. White beans with tomato .
Wine to drink . Cheers

17 Likes

I’ve heard the dislike of mushroom is due to its slimy texture.

A quick simple dinner. Thin sliced garlic sautéed in butter followed by Patagonian scallops with basil over herbed pasta

16 Likes

While my DW’s meatloaf–from nights ago, continues to replicate the Parable of the Loaves And Fishes in real time; I took our leftover mashed potatoes and put a hard fry on them in our wok. Blissful eating. Love that tool.

16 Likes

I now use exclusively Patagonian red shrimp
Never. herd of Patagonian scallops
Only buy Costco’s scallops as they and Whole Food’s sea scallops are dry without STP . Where do you buy Patagonian scallops? are they dry?
thanks

Sometimes, I save the shiitake mushroom liquor to add to soup ( sweet and sour) but the mushroom which are rehydrated for stir fry or for dishes like mapo tofu, or for radish and turnip cake for braising dishes, I gently squeeze the liquor out so that it can absorb as much of the flavor of spice I am cooking. It makes sense when the mushroom is already loaded with rehydrating water, it does not absorb as much of the flavors of spice and sauce one is cooking with. Does this make sense?

3 Likes

I tried something new last night. Taking the method of a 7 layer dinner ( usually a sausage/potato/rice/veg bake, common in the Maritimes, Prairies, Midwest rural parts, who knows where else?), I coated 4 skinless boneless chicken thighs with a tandoori masala blend ( a couple tbsp) and some yogurt (maybe a quarter cup), added a cup of jasmine rice, stirred everything then moved the chicken thighs to the top, added a cup or so of water so everything was submerged, covered with foil, put it into an oven set at 265 degrees, and set the timer for 90 minutes. Went out and did some Xmas shopping and dinner was ready when I got home. The rice was a little on the mushy side, but I’d do it again, maybe with another spice blend, maybe with a rice that takes longer to cook.Slow roasted a chopped eggplant that was tossed with evoo and curry powder at the same temp, as the side.

5 Likes

…when leftovers are even better than the original

1 Like

@LindaWhit thought of you when this came across my inbox. I like this website. Has some reputable/legit food writers. Yogurt marinade

1 Like

DH objects to the flavor. He enjoys raw mushrooms in salads but can sense mushrfoom essence and not enjoy a braise or sauce. I can’t use dried cepes, morels, et al. Bummer.

1 Like