What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

I’ve been cooking but hurried and definitely not winning awards except “fed, mostly healthy”.Tonight, pasta with chicken sausage, broccoli, onions, tomato, and black olives. Would have been better on a pizza!

Last night, followed a recipe/technique for a whole cauliflower. You boil it for 5 min, drain for 10, roast at 475 for 20+. It wasn’t getting crispy after 30+ so I just pulled it out. Tasty but not what I thought. Also roasted salmon, beets from my mom and lentils. Made a cilantro and yogurt sauce. Too thin but yummy.

13 Likes

I want to meet the entire clan! Willing to respond with ours.

2 Likes

More fuyu, more clememtine

Chile relleno, panoply of sauces

15 Likes

Last night was shells and Italian sausage in the IP with red sauce. Big hit with the toddler.

Tonight - tacos out before a train ride with Santa.

17 Likes

have to say, loved this dinner. even the BF, who doesn’t love lamb, wolfed down 3rds of this merguez sausage, TJ’s chili crisp, castelvetrano olive, and parsley linguini dish. Ricotta salata over the top. salad of Cara Caras (they’re here!! they’re here!!), shaved fennel, Niçoise olives, walnut oil, cara cara juice, and s&p. only wish I’d made more of everything.

13 Likes

it all looks/sounds wonderful! where is this magical bread guy you speak of??

1 Like

BF wanted to make dumplings from scratch. I mean homemade dough, etc. I thought he was nuts! It proved an arduous process and I give major props to anyone who can master it. While they ended up tasting DELICIOUS, no matter how many times we watched the video, we just couldn’t shape them correctly (note the one pierogie shaped dumpling!).

20191219_210847
Minced pork shoulder, garlic, ginger, scallion, bok choy, two kinds of soy sauce.

20191219_225051

DISASTER! :joy:

We also made chicken katsu with a luscious curry sauce! Not photogenic.

20 Likes

Kudos for the dumpling attempt!!! I tried making my own dough for dumplings exactly once and found it was really hard to get them thin enough without breaking. I buy them now and it is 100% less annoying of a process.

5 Likes

There is definitely a learning curve with dumplings and as gracie said, using pre-made wrappers is easier. In your case it looks like you may not have developed enough gluten to allow them to stretch thin without breaking. Keep practicing and you’ll get there! Luckily they’re still delicious even if they’re not beautiful. :grin:

3 Likes

what matters is that they taste good
I used to shape my dumplings very nicely for presentation but since I had ulnar dystrophy and arthritis, I just use my fingers ( you can with a brush) to press the edge together and use a fork to crimp . It does not matter. unless you own a restaurant or are selling them. What matters is the taste!

7 Likes

I usually. pick up a few tins of coconut milk from Asian Grocery store when I am there. My favorite is Chaoka as the coconut milk is thicker ( not all coconut milk are equal. This is not coconut water ) However, when I was at Costco last week, I noticed they have more asian food, what I picked up is Goya’s Organic unsweetened coconut milk , a case. of 6 for $8.99.
This are organic and unsweetened so it is a good buy. Chaoka is not organic. If you live near where Costco delivers, I notice they have case of 24. Unfortunately, I am too far from delivery for Costco. What a shame.

1 Like

Since I just received my case of sardines (50 tins of moroccan spicy sardines in olive oil ), rhYJhCKcQQ6wkZm9MiKgGQ|525x700 in with rice

, crunchy home made green tomato, hot pepper blend pickles dated 8/2018 which I found was really crunchy and spicy) CS wine Costco and a cup of tea. Quick and Delicious for me. I swept up the kitchen with the spicy olive oil .

13 Likes

Creamy chicken and farro soup. Perfect day for it.

16 Likes

New idea for a holiday dessert approach, a pavlova board!

5 Likes

My wife would enjoy trying this. Thxs.

1 Like

I “mmm’d” out loud

1 Like

omg katsu… looks marvelous!

dumplings - i just don’t think i could ever get the dough thin enough. we use the pre-made wrappers and they still don’t come out perfect. as long as they tasted good!

2 Likes

It turned out well. I didn’t have celery or sage on hand but the thyme, onion, carrot and garlic was enough.

2 Likes

I’ve never made a farro soup. Good idea.

1 Like

In my wheelhouse…