What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Not much of an homage to CNY here, didn’t have my act together to go to the store on my way home today.
Although i did find some of that tasty japanese fried rice in the back of my freezer, so dinner was slightly asian flavored.
Seaweed packet and kimchi appetizers

Japanese fried rice that i added more edamame to

And i made @gracieggg broccoli salad! I blanched the broccoli quickly because i bought it from the street vendor and then followed her recipe she posted! Only I didn’t have regular sugar so i added a tiny smidge of agave as the sweetner. Oh, and added in some sunflower seeds. So delicious !!

15 Likes

Harissa, garlic, sumac, and polenta/grits. They were very good, but I’d skip the polenta next time, the crunch was a bit weird.

Sauces are faux sriracha mayo (didn’t have mayo - used yogurt, sriracha, honey, rice vinegar, togarashi, sesame oil) and diluted zhoug.

4 Likes

I should have said PIG wings.

About “pig wings”.

NY Times on pig wings in 2011

"That bone-as-handle notion is integral to the appeal of Pig Wings. It recalls the drumette portion of a chicken wing. It plays off the popularity of stick-mounted foods, from old-school fried corn dogs to new-school fried chicken gizzards. With that in mind, some restaurants have begun selling deep-fried ham shanks as carnitas-on-sticks or carnitas lollipops.

The cultural adaptability of Pig Wings is part of Mr. File’s pitch. (After initially coating his with a dry barbecue rub, he now sells what he calls a “neutral product.”)

Tasting a version flavored with rosemary and smothered with mushrooms at Appert’s, he told the corporate chef, “Call that one a French pork confit, and you might get $20 for it.”

At the Great Waters Brewing Company, he told the chef, Ernest Figuera: “You can do anything you can imagine with them. You can make them Asian, you can make them Mexican. I really don’t care what people call it, so long as they buy it.”"

From How To BBQ Right
"The pig wing is actually a portion of the ham shank that has been trimmed and smoked (fully cooked). And it does look similar to a traditional “buffalo wing”.

Pig Wings have been around a while but I couldn’t find them at any of my local grocery stores, so I asked a local butcher if he could source them. All it took was a quick phone call for him, and I had the pig wings in 2 days. The brand that I bought was Farmland and they came in a 12pc bag for $16.

Pig Wings come fully cooked and directions on the bag suggest several options for how to prepare them. They can be grilled, deep fried, or simply warmed in the oven; but I knew going in that I wanted to get them on the smoker. Here’s how I did it:…"

Pig wings by Real Food by Dad in 2018](https://realfoodbydad.com/pig-wings/)

"That said, check out these pig wings. Yes, pig wings, it’s essentially a trimmed pork shank. My boys are crazy for chicken wings – the 11-year old got my toddler into them, so now we do wings —of all sorts, all the time. Or at least it feels like all time when you are grilling 30+wings at a time.

That’s where these pig wings come in real handy. They are a lot bigger and that means less prepping and babysitting the grill. To make things even easier, just ask your butcher to trim them for you before you get started. I picked up all of my items at my local Whole Foods – the ultimate resource for all of your summer grilling needs.

To cook these, I smoke them with a rub and then barbecue them for the last 15 minutes with a sauce. Of course, you can cook pig wings any way you prefer, just like you would chicken wings."

I’d read about them, but was surprised to find them during a desperate stop at my least favorite, but most convenient Mexican restaurant. Don’t get me started. The “hot sauce”…gah! We thought this place was great when we first moved to California. Not sure who/what changed.

But their bare bones pig wings have potential, and I don’t think anyone else in town has them.

These are fried. I might buy some and see what I can do with them.

4 Likes

Chicken taco Tuesday. Wine to drink . :wine_glass:Cheers .

15 Likes

Woo hoo! I’m in a Napa hotel eating leftover pig wings and chicken wings, but tomorrow we feast!

And learn. That’s why I’m here…to learn.:grin:

Healthy Kithens, Healthy Lives

“A Leadership Conference Bridging Nutrition Science, Healthcare, and the Culinary Arts”

5 Likes

:eyeglasses:

Maybe you could start a new thread and report about the conference? It would be interesting to many of us I think!

3 Likes

We had dinner in the city last night - a favourite upmarket place at the “grand hotel”, which is rated by the Good Food Guide as the 13th best restaurant in the whole of the UK. It was a lovely evening (I’ll post a review to the UK board later today).

As for tonight, the nepherw is home from university for a few days, so he’s coming for dinner, along with his mother and other aunt. The household authorities tell me it’s going to be an easy dinner. Baked salmon fillets, leaf salad and pesto rice salad (which regularly gets an airing when we have family guests). Lemon curd roulade for dessert.

Recipe for the rice salad here (although Mrs H always use a jar of pesto rather than making from scratch) - https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/delias-summer-collection/pesto-rice-salad

I’ve no practical involvement tonight, except for table setting, drinks pouring and washing up.

9 Likes

Bucatini with the really last tomato from the garden and smoked herring. No joking those were the green tomatoes taking time to ripen, the flavour was nothing like summer tomatoes, slight reduction sauce was the best way to finish them up.

While making the meal, they were talking on the news - “traditional ‘herring throwning’, the main event at Dunkirk Carnival in northern France. Hundreds of kilos of herring were thrown from the balcony of the town hall onto the crowd below.…”, I was asking should I throw mine too. :partying_face:

10 Likes

Yes food! I think drinks too! Your neighbour is generous, nice to have her around!

Didn’t you notice that she’s sharing food with you too, maybe she should find a way to cook the moles :rofl: :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Should be a new year race, watch out Wednesday night or Saturday . The traffic would be totally jammed…

1 Like

I want those tacos!!

Useless factoid: I was born in The Hong Kong Sanitarium and Hospital. Literally across the street from the Happy Valley Racecourse.

I should bring home some Happy Valley souvenir, or winning tickets, or something. :wink:

6 Likes

MMMM broccoli salad!!! Glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, what country are you in? I am always so envious of places that are still able to pull fresh veggies from their garden while we are suffering through winter here in the US. Then again, I shouldn’t complain, yesterday was unseasonably warm.

I live in the outskirts of Paris. Those green tomatoes were collected in December, just before the first frost. They took weeks to become red. Then I forgot them, and they shrank a bit in size. I have nothing I can harvest now, except some rosemary and thyme. The rose is still flourishing right now, which is a bit weird.

It is around 10ºC/50ºF during the day time now this week, but some snowing a week ago. I will start some indoor germination these few days.

4 Likes

Mmmm

You fried those shells yourself, didn’t you? I like it.

3 Likes

I would think it would be rather hard to catch a falling herring - rather slippery! So what do they do? Carry it around or do the herrings just become trash underfoot? Is this tradition just in that town or throughout France? (The herring part I mean.)

The spring herring run was historically important where I live in NC. Fishing of herring has not been allowed for many years since the fish population has become so low. But often small coastal towns have Fried herring dinners for fundraising. One small town has a large herring festival on Easter weekend.The last of the NC herring shacks (seasonal, once there were many along the rivers) burnt and does not seem to be planning to reopen.

It’s a reminder of how important the seasonal bounty of migrating fish used to be!

2 Likes

I have never been to this carnaval in Dunkirk, Northern France, “le jet”, the throw are smoked herrings and protected by plastic film. The tradition started after the world war, so it is pretty recent.

Thanks for your link of herring snack.

Very true.

1 Like