What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

I love the idea of this. Start to finish!

Our plans for a Superbowl party with the neighbors was cancelled since our toddler woke up with pink eye. Praying I don’t get it myself. Appetizer of guacamole that I had intended to bring. Main of baby back ribs. Thanks for @RedJim for the idea. Roasted potatoes. Creamy broccoli slaw which I lovedddddd! Good day for eating. My husband made us sashuka (sp???) For breakfast. One of the contestants on top chef made it last week and reminded us of Morocco and how we couldn’t stop eating it. His version needs a little finese but nearly there. I prefer my yolks runny.

17 Likes

Gyros with turmeric-mint tzatziki and harissa, lemon-pepper haricots

13 Likes

Oh yikes, the poor kid! Hope you and the hubby dodge catching it!
What was it that made the broccoli slaw so good?

2 Likes

Finally so much warmer today!
Salad dinner with all the good stuff on it tonight, bell pepper, cucumber, olives, red grapefruit, sunflower seeds, cilantro, and added tahini miso dressing after the photo

A few of those totally hideous yet tasty meatless balls i like from 365 brand

And a handful of veggie chips, can’t decide if the beets or green beans are my favorite part, all of them are nice and crunchy salty

15 Likes

Meatballs and chicken wings and granola.

12 Likes

Dinner tonight was pork posole and I just have to say it was probably the best i’ve made. Pork shoulder cut into bite sized pieces, browned, charred poblanos, roasted tomatillos and jalapenos, cumin, oregano, onions/garlic, and canned hominy. I used some homemade pork chile verde broth I had in the freezer. Tasted like my Mexican abuelita made it - if I was Mexican and had an abuelita! Go-withs were charred corn tortillas, dried oregano (key), shredded cabbage, queso fresco, sour cream, and cilantro. But I forgot the beautiful radishes i bought just for the dish, dammit. Glad I made plenty.

dessert was juicy satsumas. love all the winter citrus.

21 Likes

your hubs’ shakshuka looks amazing to me!

3 Likes

Here too, prefer runny yolks, love Shakshouka.

Baby back ribs à la @RedJim looks so delicious. Sorry for the cancelled party, hope baby get better soon.

1 Like

Congrats! And just look at the photo!

1 Like

I just did a healthy squeeze of mayo, juice of half a lime, a splash of apple cider vinegar, a shake of sugar, salt and pepper. It was just so bright and yummy! I could have eaten the whole bowl.

3 Likes

AH! That looks like a better spelling!

Thank you! Baby is totally fine today. Those eye drops are incredible and clears it up nearly instantly.

4 Likes

WOW. That looks amazing! YUM!

1 Like

Copying!

AH! Forgot the shallot! Whoops!

My mom gave me a mini food processor when my kid was starting solid foods because I had grand ideas of making purees for her. Yeah. She hated everything I made! But this mini food processor is now one of the most useful tools in the kitchen. I chopped the raw broccoli fast and then tossed in the dressing after. Makes prep so much faster.

4 Likes

I always , always wash my rice, it does wash away some of the starch; additionally about 10 minutes into the process, I will sometimes add a tablespoon of vegetable/corn/canola oil but not mixing in the oil. I let it sit on top and it makes it way in. My rice very rarely stick together, be plain white, Jasmine or Basmati.

1 Like

Sometimes a good effort really makes the food taste better, and then great table discussion…Good for your guy!

1 Like

We were in the mood for turkey last week, but with two of us even a small bird is forbidding. Mrs. Ph picked up a pair of legs and wings. The weight of the two packages are almost 4 pounds. It so happens we both prefer those parts over the other parts of the turkey. These suckers are now in the fridge, brining in some salt/sugar/ water. My leg and wing will be treated with a dry rub, of onion powder, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, rosemary, turmeric, paprika and some cinnamon. Mrs. Ph likes Goya brand Adobo, Sazon con Culantro y Achiote , some black pepper and fresh squeezed orange juice. They will be roasted at 325degrees un- covered until internal is 180 degrees!

PS…the parts are on a 18"x12" sheet pan and rack for their eventual roasting later today.
As for sides, still up in the air, but there is some broccoli and some cabbage lurking in the fridge. I think I might even open up a can of the red jellied cranberry (lol).

9 Likes

I prefer those parts as well. And of course the “parson’s nose” aka “last part over the fence”.

2 Likes

I was told it was called the “Pope"s Nose”… Either way, I never tasted one because what it is!..

2 Likes