What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

So fancy looking!!

1 Like

Working dinner with my friend i’m helping, we really hit our groove this afternoon and then realized we were hungry but not ready to wrap it up and call it a day yet.
Just went across the street to the enormous Deli of Everything you Could Want and picked up one of their vegan salads- nothing special but did the job. Had a ginger kombucha to drink (thankfully woke up feeling fine after the fries fiasco last night)

10 Likes

Today was day one of a predicted week of grey sky’s and near constant rain. A container of chili from the freezer and a pan of corn bread was cherry and warming!

4 Likes

Eipicurious Crab Stock

Right behind you . Snowed in ,cabin fever . Plenty of food I could make . Frozen pizza and wine . :wine_glass:Cheers.

3 Likes

Some chicken parm using Chef John’s recipe:

Only without provolone and basil because all I had was frozen mozzarella and parmigiano-reggiano. Used jarred Rao’s marinara for the tomato sauce.

And some asparagus and broccolini.

10 Likes

I suspect that we Brits will read that in a different way to you Yanks. :blush:

Upcoming dinner - quiche Lorraine (supermarket purchase), red cabbage slaw. I’n still trying to perfect my dressing for the slaw. At present, it involves mayo, a splash or two of cider vinegar and a smallish dollop of Dijon mustard. It needs a tweak - I’d add chives if any were yet growing in the garden.

6 Likes

Beautiful plate! Your dinner reminds me of a scallops over succotash recipe, by Sheryl Julian, that I saved long ago. Such a satisfying dish.

1 Like

Personally, when I am shelling crabs to eat with friends, I eat the tomalley or share them with my poms who loves crabs! I can never shell fast enough for them. However, when I have left over crabs, I shell them, divide the crab into 4 pieces and use that to make “crab in lobster sauce” , the same recipe as with shrimp in lobster sauce. I would use the tomalley and add it to my ground pork which is what I use for shrimp in lobster sauce. Substitute the crab for the shrimp. It is good. There is no lobster in the so called shrimp in lobster sauce, rathe black beans. recently, I substituted the pork with ground duck meat and it was DELISH!
Here is one recipe for shrimp and lobster sauce. I substitute crab for shrimp and when I was in HK, they substitute lobster for shrimp which is really good also.

3 Likes

I follow Lopez in Serious eats. He uses Parmegiano and Mozarella.
It is really great. very similar to yours.

3 Likes

The “Parmo” is a popular takeaway food in the Teesside region of northeast England. Apparently brought to the UK by a US Army chef in WW2 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parmo). Perhaps thankfully, it hasnt really travelled outside of its home region.

.99 at HT on sale, Bought 2, gave one to neighbor.
I can eat pineapple, and it becomes sweeter with small amount of salt sprinkled on it.
her are

pics, I ate a slice already
That will be to eat with left over curry from yesterday

13 Likes

Nachos with cheddar, Comte, chicken, jalapeño, Italian diced chilies, parsley (no cilantro in the house) and some sour cream on the side.

14 Likes

Proof that a 3.3lb pork loin roast is too much for two people. This is Day 3 Dinner for that roast. Gave up on it and made a Stir Fry…

IMG_3138

13 Likes

LOL! Well, Fannie is the name of the person who started the off-price store, but yes, I can see what you’re getting at. :smiley:

Not a bad repurposing!

2 Likes

Thank you! Added a bit of the tomally to the crab stock and almost swooned. Shrimp not done but I put it in now for the hubs who likes his “well done” . :hushed:

I do the Alton Brown oven roux

I never seem to have the courage/fortitude to take it to brick colored.

Alton Brown Seafood gumbo

Gumbo! *

18 Likes

Chicken korma curry with cauliflower over brown rice.

12 Likes

It is really a waste when I see people throwing the tomalley away when we have a crab feast.
We typically throw female crabs back into the river for them to reproduce but if I happen to have one that slipped away, and has red eggs, ( corals) they are simply outstanding.
The Chinese in the Philippines use the red eggs when they are firm, cooked with whiskey, and also them to fried rice.
Same with the prawns with head when I cook paella
I always like to have some of the huge shrimp with head on, so good to suck on their head .

The moisture and the flavor is all in the head ,” says Underbelly and One Fifth chef Chris Shepherd. “Yes, the tail is the meat, but the head is the essence of life.”

Embarrassing to ask friends to toss the heads back into my plate
There is also a very delicious crunchy fried shrimp that a friend’s restaurant cooks. The shell and head are so crunchy, most chinese just devour the shrimp, shell head and all. Americans peel them and discard the head. They do not know what they are missing.
Here is a recipe from serious eats.

4 Likes

An unsuccessful day antiquing, but still a good day enjoying the sunshine.

Dinner was seared pork tenderloin that was then roasted with some spicy plum ketchup that I augmented with a bit of balsamic. Sweet potatoes were steamed and mashed with butter, ground ginger and maple syrup, and green beans were steamed and served with toasted almonds.

Yup. Wine. No work tomorrow for the holiday, and a storm coming in overnight. It’ll be nice sleeping in without having to shovel out.

13 Likes