What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

I met my favorite six year old and my friends who live nearby at the new-ish location of shake shack that opened in our neighborhood. Actually literally ran into them in the street and they said come with so i did :))
Only catch is I’m an idiot. So of course i had fries, lots of ketchup too. But i kinda never eat fried foods because they give me a tummy ache.
Soooo…yeah. Dinner was apparently too many fries followed by lots of ginger tea and a ginger kombucha later.
Odds are i’ll live to tell, but no chocolate anything tonight

4 Likes

Made the right move . Given it up . :fries:with ketchup.

1 Like

Thanks. I did try @Saregama’s drink several times a few days ago, unfortunately the virus win this time.

Your roasts always looked yummy!

1 Like

Thanks for your recipe, will try it out.

Thank you, naf, for the compliment. It was tasty. Lots of leftovers too.

1 Like

That looks soooooo good

Was there this past week, my son lives on 81st between Amsterdam & Columbus…

1 Like

Saturday evening. When we always make a particular effort with dinner. Except those Saturdays when we don’t. This is one of them. So:-

Pate is defrosting - it’s almost the last of the one I made at Christmas. I’m bored with it now and will be glad when it’s finally gone

Pot roast brisket. Baked potato. Kalettes

Pithivier - also the dregs of a Christmas making. This is a small pasty sized thing that used up the excess from the big one herself made. With ice cream

All nice. And no effort whatsoever. Which is really, really good - I’m bored with food and am seriously considering living off the likes of chop and chips for the foreseeable future.

3 Likes

This alone would make me happy!

In the event, I couldnt be arsed doing the potato.

2 Likes

Dungies!

A Chow thing that gave me pause

I thought it was supposed to be back down. From Melanie W http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/4734…

Using this golden oldie from Chowhounder Melanie Wong, circa 2001

Ode to Melanie Wong

They were $8.99/pound at Country Square Market, and I walked away in huff. Then I went back. It’s February, and I haven’t had them yet!

Here’s what we wrote in 2013, and it’s still true!

" Melanie Wong 12/05/13 5:11PM re: raytamsgv

“I have never been able to make myself do that. I’ve had many people ask me why the crab they try to stir-fry at home doesn’t compare to restaurants. And this is exactly why. Squeamish home cooks par-boil the crabs or start with a dead one. The texture and taste can’t compare to stir-frying a newly killed, almost still moving crab the way your family (and restaurants) do.”

I wrote
"As much as my kids hate it, I don’t have a problem with steaming them live, but ripping them apart alive is not something I’d choose.

Still, I’d like to steam them as briefly as possible, then finish them as one of those Singapore-Style Chili Crab recipes.".

Melanie goes on to write
"Instead of boiling, you might try steaming the crabs. I like to cook my own because I want the crab fat under the carapace and it must be freshly cooked. If you boil them, most of the fat runs out into the boiling liquid. The flavor is much more intense, the meat is less water-logged and needs no added salt when steamed. But I will caution you that the aroma when you take the lid off is incredibly overpowering because all the crab juices are concentrated into such a small amount of liquid.

Only an inch of water is needed in the bottom of the pan, takes less time to heat up. Once it’s boiling, lay the live crab in the pot dorsal side down (to catch the fat in the carapace). Hold it from the posterior end and the claws can’t reach you. Depending on size, cooking time is 12 to 17 mins. The legs will be ready in 12 mins., and sometimes I’ll pull those off to start cracking while the rest of the crab finishes cooking."

I eat the “fat” sometimes , and some times I heed “warnings” about contaminants.

10 Likes

We have blue crab haven in front of our property
Always steam them alive, but be sure your water has come to a .roaring boil before you add the crab to the steamer so that they get stunned within minutes. If you place them in the steamer before the water comes to a full boil, that is less merciful.

4 Likes

Tonight I made Thai turkey kebabs with lemongrass, ginger, Penang curry paste, egg white, agave, and panko. Those were grilled and served over cilantro brown rice with Sriracha-lime mayo sauce. I might have been very hungry, but they were really good! Bagged Caesar to start.

12 Likes

I have had this all clad grill pan for years but never used it till last week when I cooked some chicken legs with bones and skin on, then I added some red sauce from freezer which I had intended to make pork char sho but found out I was allergic to red meat including pork, so froze that instead.
I used it again today to cook a large batch of chicken legs on my 12 X 24 hot plate which I have not used for. along time since I use that to poach or steam fish and crabs only. It is fast becoming one of my favorite pan as one can grill without splattering grease all over. The grease accumulates between the ridges of the grill pan and it is very easy to clean.
So, I grilled chicken legs with skin, transferred them to a French

oven, added the marinade( I marinade the chicken wings in soy sauce, cider , garlic and ginger) without the garlic since I have just roasted 3 lbs of garlic in EVOO and would not want food poisoning if the garlic are old.
To this, I added caramelized onions, bay leafs, freshly crushed peppercorn, more garlic, Javin curry powder, chicken and shrimp broth ( cooked shrimp with tomato and feta yesterday but did not take pictures, so I roasted the shrimp shells), a can of chaoka coconut milk, 4 dehydrated New Mexico hatch pepper, smashed ginger, the juice and zest of. lime, so the chicken legs were completely submerged, came to a boil, added some small new potatoes skin on, sliced in half, simmered on low for around 3 hours, then I added vanilla yogurt to counteract the bitterness of the curry.
This was served with steamed rice
It was good. I guess I have enough that I will freeze most of them .

13 Likes

Here is picture of whole Ham hanging in Barcelona taken by son who ws there since Feb 13.
I had him bring home a Jamon swivel rack in 2013 but now, I cannot eat Ham
I still have Mangalitsa Ham slices from the whole one we purchased last August in fridge.

. Oh Well! My lost !

6 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Diet suggestion for alpha gal syndrome ( lone star tick bite )

It was a very good day.
Good visit with Mom.
Shopping for Mom at Frugal Fannies with Sis.
Shopping for me at Wegmans.
Nothing destroyed by the boyz at home.
Until after I got home.
:::Sigh:::

A word got stuck in my brain while driving home: Nage. Probably from seeing something on Top Chef.

So corn nage was made…essentially a corn mush of some Trader Joe’s sweet canned corn and some of the corn liquid all blended with a stick blender, heated alwith a wee bit of heavy cream, seasoned with salt and pepper.

Seared sea scallops on top of the nage, with corn and peas alongside.

Yup. There was wine.

21 Likes

Regarding “the crab fat under the carapace and it must be freshly cooked”.

So we have had our way with the legs, and the remains, with the “carpace/backs”, are going to make broth for the next gumbo and/or jumbalaya. I have strained and set aside the broth that was in the carpace that contained the the “crab fat”. .

Should this go in the broth?

1 Like

Yummy scallops, and nice presentation!

1 Like