What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Thank you!

The Nasty Bits: Crab Innards

“For a change I decided to focus primarily on the innards and see what other preparations could be done with the crab’s internal organs and, when in season, the eggs. Like the crab meat itself, the taste of what is inside varies depending on the type of crab. On blue claws the innards taste somewhat like caviar; on Dungeness, they are more abundant and custardy in texture, with a sweetness that reminds me of sea urchin.”

9 Likes

The pork must be quite tender, lovely pinkish.

2 Likes

Busy couple of days here, working on freelance project this morning and then went to see my bff for socializing but also “work” to style looks for her for an upcoming work trip (new bfd job for bfd fashion brand going to fashion week so she was kinda overwhelmed)
Once we finished photographing all the looks we caught up over wine and snacked on pita chips and edamame hummus and random chunks of roasted sweet potato leftover from my favorite one year old’s dinner :))
A quick stop at the corner market and i found a great clearance bag of squash that was totally fine- for $2!! Couldn’t pass that up.
Steamed some of them, who know if/when my landlord will send someone to actually fix the pilot light on my POS oven. Trader Joe’s everyday seasoning on the squash, added some of the special phreddy vinegrette after the pic.
Side of a few of those hideous meatless balls and some kombucha

11 Likes

I’d brought home some Augie’s Montreal deli sliced brisket from last week’s lunch out with my sister, and gently steamed it and served it on warmed rye bread with TJ’s deli brown mustard. I quick-pickled some persian cukes with white vinegar, salt, sugar. Very crunchy and fresh! Also, made crispy outside/tender inside hash browns, and cole slaw with a little mayo, a little brown sugar, celery seed, s&p, and my new vermouth vinegar.

16 Likes

gawgeous scallops! and the corn puree! yum…

1 Like

I searched deep . No Augies . Must have been my imagination crossed up with Izzy’s steak house .

1 Like

oh holy hell does that pasta look good. i really should make more of this kind of meal - the BF would love it.

2 Likes

Your hash browns look fantastic. How did you make them? They look like the potato pancakes that we had in Cracow a few years ago.

Yes, method, please

I’ve tried to make hash browns, rosti, or whatever. But can never get them as crispy as Maria’s look.

2 Likes

I know, your question was the tomalley but while we were on that topic, I wanted to let you. know that the female coral is even better. Too bd I hardly get any coral as we toss all our females back.

1 Like

And you live in rööschti land where it’s the national dish, I thought you were in the position to teach us. :relaxed:

I like Reibekuchen also but it tends to be deep fried and fatty, not to mention pasty. Much prefer Swiss Rösti.

Yours looks fab, @mariacarmen!

PS: I’ve been meaning to start a “potato cuisine” thread but haven’t got around to doing it. Can someone please start it?

1 Like

Well, röschti are made from precooked potatoes that have spent a night or two in the refrigerator before being coarsely grated and cooked in oil or butter, or a combination. But I don’t think I ever saw any röschti with that degree of caramelization.

3 Likes

ah, that makes sense. Still never been to Izzy’s, been wanting to try it for years.

a friend shared with me her method. grate a russet potato, squeeze the hell out of it in a cloth/dishtowel, place in a bowl, cover with paper towel, microwave for a minute. Toss with salt, granulated garlic, fresh ground pepper. Then heat a lot of oil (maybe 1/3 cup?) in a pan over medium-high heat. i took handfuls of the shredded potatoes and heaped and patted them into the pan, making four little patties, flattening them with a spatula. let them cook on one side for about 4-5 minutes, checking to see how the browning is coming along, loosening any time it feels like they’re sticking, flip, do the same thing. it’s ok to flip again, too.

9 Likes

thank you!

i think the key is squeezing as much water out of them once grated as possible. the microwaving helps with drying them out, too.

2 Likes

I use my air fryer for hash browns. They get a real good crisp easy.

Will try microwave first also.

4 Likes

Thanks, MC. I do the squeezing out in a towel but will have a try at the microwave as well.

As for tonight, it’s a “no cook” evening. We’re going into the city to possibly try a new (to us) Sichuan place in Chinatown. At least from it’s name of Spicy City we’re presuming it’s going to be Sichuan. Chinatown is tricky these days - ever since the food hygiene authority set up its national “scores on the doors” website. There are just so many places with very low scores that even I am not keen to go to.

7 Likes

Thanks. I don’t have a microwave, so I suppose I could just cook them a bit longer, first at a lower heat to cook through, and then at a higher heat to brown?

1 Like

yes, maybe toss them about in a dry pan over the lower heat for a bit to get the moisture out, then scoop them out, add your oil and heat up the pan again.

1 Like