What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Wanted a cheeseburger with grilled onions , and toll house cookies . After 4 days I took out the snow blower to remove 180 feet of snow in the driveway. Off to the store for the goods . :yum::hamburger::cookie: . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers .

8 Likes

We always called it “the part that goes over the fence last” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Tuna Steak in the pan…I do buy previously frozen as I like to eat it very rare.

Served with wild rice and made a pot of red beans.
BTW that little round thing with the beans is a piece of the ham bone that I fortified the beans with.

10 Likes

I might just pound my garlic and forget about another one that will only last me 3 years the most! I hate it when I have to grind spices and have to take the spice grinder out of the cabinet and plug it into a wall outlet

I hate to clutter my counter space so, the cuisinart, rice cooker, etc are in a cupboard but heavy to take out when I need them… Only thing left on the counter are the gaggia coffee machine , ( since the gaggia grinds the coffee beans , I moved the baratza burr coffee grinder next to my stove and use it to grind peppercorn daily and I love the technique ) and my kitchen aid seltzer maker which I use every day, saved me a ton of money as well as energy to bring home bottled pelligrino. It is a workhorse and very reasonable to operate . I had 3 Sodastream that broke down, so finally bought this kitchen aid/sodastream model, bought an adapter and a large Co2 tank ( do not know what size but it is around 24 inch in length and cost $70.00 to fill up, last us around 7-8 months . The cylinder is long and slender enough to be hidden behind the cabinet’s empty space for access to the windows. I LOVE THIS! I also have a Vitamin and of course a Wolf countertop oven which I use for almost everything that will fit in there , except when making pizza. So, no more toaster either. That saves me a lot of energy rather than using the huge Vulcan oven

My large kitchen aid ,mixer was installed in one of the cabinet but at that time in '89. s the Poggenpohl cabinet had a rev a shelf which was unheard of till in the 2000’s. It was German invention which had which made life easy but it occupies a whole cabinet. I now wish they have had provided me with two or three such shelf for my rice cooker and food processor as I have to take them out every time I use them.

Thanks Trockwood,

4 Likes

My chest freezer in the basement is good, because I keep a list of what’s in there. I try to do the same thing for the upstairs fridge/freezer, but shit gets shoved in there willy-nilly to freeze before I take things to the downstairs freezer, and I sometimes forget to write it on the list. I was searching last night for some steak tips for dinner tonight, and in my digging, realized I had a duck breast in there that had gotten pushed to the back wall. So I wrote a note to myself to REMEMBER THE DUCK this weekend. :duck:

6 Likes

Last night we made sous vide lobster tails with drawn butter, seared scallops, butternut squash quinoa with parsley and pistachios, herbed creamed spinach, and…drumroll please…cucumber salad. Roederer Estate brut rosé in our coups.

16 Likes

Now that’s a Valentines Day dinner! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Lovely!!

1 Like

Quite upset, reserved a table a month ago, but had to cancel it because my cold is going to a more advanced stage with intense sore throat… no way I would be able to drink :wine_glass: or enjoy the meal. Mr. N, though, he is recovering…

Tonight: some comfort food, chicken potatoes and onion cream soup for me. Mr. N ate cheese, bread and fruit.

Other meals this week. Fish soup and fine tripes sausages sliced thinly and cheese tartine.

And fried rice, Chinese sausages with five spices and, rose wine, egg, Napa cabbage, peas and onion with XO sauce.

16 Likes

I’m feeling you. We have a slightly belated Valentine’s day reservation tonight at Ad Hoc, but I’ve been coughing for days. Fortunately the sore throat is resolved, but I don’t want to freak out the other patrons with my lungs on a plate.

1 Like

Get well!

1 Like

I could not find your post on turnip cake as I remember you found them too mushy.
Here is a recipe for savory turnip cake

Remember, the mixture should be pretty dry, (unlike most cake mixture) you almost have to pat the mixture down with a spoon or fork.
I looked into my cook books ( now retired in the library as I am out of space in my kitchen)
Chinese Snacks by Wei Chuan Hue. the ratio of rice to water is around 2/12 cup to 3 cups
remember to use rice flour and not glutinous rice flour, and as she states, the amount of liquid can vary but has consistency which she calls rice paste. There is even suggestion to squeeze the turnip and use the water from the turnip to substitute for the water for the mix.
I also line my steamer with cloth which I have been saving since the 70’s from muslim rice sacks as I used to use rice instead of rice powder, soak the rice overnight, then rain and blend in my kitchen aid. I think the two layered muslim cloth absorbs a lot of water ( or towels) that evaporates out of the steamer.
I also found it best to use meat loaf pan to steam the turnip cake with.
Usually takes 40 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean.
You can eat it it is as is but I found it best to refrigerate overnight, slice it then pan fry , to be consumed with ketchup and tabasco.

7 Likes

Chicken fajitas tonight - DH cooked

12 Likes

Hello, extra-long 4-day weekend!

Dinner was steak tips marinated overnight in my favorite Firecracker Sauce (oil, lime juice, maple syrup, soy sauce, ketchup garlic, Aleppo pepper).

Baked tater with the PSTOB (AND the same for sour cream!) and leftover peas, corn and carrots.

And wine. Like DUH.

15 Likes

Baked a “cute” small Pork Loin–coated heavily with spice, and served it up with Yukon Gold potatoes.

12 Likes

From the 94 year old Lucca’s, our local italian deli that’s closing in April (SOB!!), stuffed shells Florentine (though I saw no spinach), their meat sauce, and their parm regg. We always need to doctor their sauce a bit, but just a little crushed fresh garlic, some granulated garlic, and chili flakes fixed it right up. BF made a salad with his blue cheese.

Going back tomorrow to stock up on more good stuff… :cry:

17 Likes

Pasta with meat . Wine to drink. Cheers.

13 Likes

Rice/quinoa with curried coconut dal, sautéed broccoli and spinach, and pan-fried fish crusted in spice paste and semolina.

14 Likes

Umm
Whaaaaattttt??? What the what???
That is exactly bizarre enough i must try it! Definitely happening this weekend.

Maybe you should try @Saregama ‘s magical tumeric tonic! Feel better soon. I’m impressed you had energy to make anything at all- your soup looks very comforting

1 Like