What’s For Dinner #42 - 2/2019 - the Hearts & Flowers & Brrrr-Chilly Winter Edition

Rice Stick Noodle Stir Fry with an Asian accent. Accompanied by an Italian crusty roll carrying a PSTOB*

11 Likes

Another Nigel Slater recipe - this one from Kitchen Diaries 1, for smoked haddock.

The fish bakes in the oven in milk, along with a couple of tins of flageolet beans, cream, parsley & grain mustard. Wilted spinach to accompany.

7 Likes

Your Saturday dinner? Where was the dessert?! :yum:

1 Like

Yesterday’s dinner following a recipe of Regis Marcon, yellow lentils with shrimps. The lentils was cooked with chopped onion, potatoes in chicken broth, with turmeric, caraway, coriander, fresh ginger and coconut milk at the end of cooking. Slices of apple and lime juice with cilantro as garnish.

Amusing as combination, it was alright but not memorable, I think it will work better if there is one flavour more dominant than others.

Friday’s meal, remake the Korean pancake again, this time with spring onions and garlic chives with a simple grilled steak.

18 Likes

The packaging on this is one of those instances where a hyphen makes all the difference. “Baked in” makes no sense otherwise.:joy:

1 Like

Link please!

Steak looks perfect

1 Like

No, that latest post is tonight’s dinner. I usually follow the thread’s title of “what’s for dinner”, not “what was for dinner”. As mentioned on my previous days post, Saturday dinner was prawn cocktail, chicken casserole - and rice pudding (Nigel Slater’s recipe) with apricot compote (Bonne Maman - supermarket purchase)

3 Likes

Grammatically, you are correct, but I think few here will post what we will be planning to eat tonight. Me, for example, I sometimes don’t know what I will be cooking.

“Maman” is feminine, therefore “bon”, the adjective has to be a she too - Bonne Maman.

Thanks - amended. And to think that French is my “best” foreign language!

French is too complex and has many exceptional rules. Natives too, make lots of mistakes in both writing and conversation.

1 Like

Oh, god, I hear you on regional accents. We moved to Texas (for a short while) and even though my parents were from the south (well, from West Virginia), when I asked about a car wash I heard. . .word salad. Bratuhwhatjusuhroundthuhconner. (Bright and White just around the corner.) Poor guy had to write it down for me. Funny though how fast your brain picks it up.
Edited to read: Texans, no offense! It’s a musical sound.

2 Likes

Ugh, we’re in a rut of proteins. PS wants steak and eggs every night. I’m into comfort food AKA eggs poached in whatever grain (oatmeal/faro) & chili verde sauce. Reading this thread = kicking me back into gear. Thanks!

13 Likes

I had to go back and look again at the package- such awkward text on it…! :joy:

OMG John…look what I started here…“to hell with commas”

Perhaps …but dem taters / grains and huevos look delish!!

1 Like

Absolutely, mate.

But let us give no quarter to those who use those damned semi-colons.

2 Likes

A friend from Wales was visiting Disney World with her daughter and English son-in-law in the late '70’s. Kissimmee was still pretty rural back then. The son-in-law ran into communication problems when trying to make a purchase at a 7-11. In exasperation the clerk asked him if he was from some place where they didn’t speak English! The son-in-law was so completely offended and shocked that he never could appreciate how funny it was.

7 Likes

I’m been on a breakfast for dinner kick too!

Two fried eggs over easy, two slices of country sausage, two hash brown patties (prepared frozen variety) topped with garlicky roasted tomatoes.

I’ve been turning it into a “bowl” since comfort is best delivered by the spoonful.

7 Likes

Our first trip to America was 1980 and we stayed in Kissimmee. Then, and for several years later, I was often asked where I was from. Scotland? New Zealand? No-one spots a Northwest England accent. Doesnt happen in recent trips.

On the other hand, we were having dinner in Blowing Rock, NC and my wife simply could not understand the server. I had to translate. A couple of nights later, we are having dinner in Galax, VA. We chat with the server a little bit. She’s fascinated by our accents and asks if she can bring a colleague over just so she can hear us speak. Colleague arrives. We speak. Colleague dissolves into fits of amazed giggles. This was 2013. Joys of travel, eh?

10 Likes