What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Thank you! But I meant to come back and pick ONE of the accepted ones!

Where I live in California, I put everything “Asian” in quotes, because it doesn’t seem to tell you as much as some think.

Vaguely related, I was at the “Asian” market today, looking for Sichuan peppercorns. Found these, and ONLY these!

I can remember a time when you couldn’t buy them. Is this still an issue?

2 Likes

Your ribs look very similar to the ones I make. How did you season them? I use a dry rub (I have several that I alternate) and no sauce because I’m not a big sauce fan.

1 Like

They were very tasty. Salty, slightly sweet and nice and juicy, with a little heat. The slaw complemented the burgers quite nicely.

1 Like

No seasoning and Kinder’s BBQ sauce of which we’ve been of theirs since discovering a few years ago.

1 Like

I just looked up Kinder’s. I live in Marin County, but I’ve never heard of them even though they’re in the East Bay. Do you go to one of their restaurants? Maybe I need to go there!

They used to have a restaurant in Reno and also a truck where I guess they did onsite smoking and such. It’s gone but then we started finding their sauces in Costco and now other groceries. We get their “mild” and like it a lot and, as I mentioned (I think) we’ve never been a fan of sauces.

Spent the afternoon doing laundry and watching several episodes of “Homecoming” on Prime. (I like it.)

The Saints got robbed by the officials before the end of the regular game.

Dinner was a filet mignon with Ballymaloe steak sauce, a baked potato with the PSTOB (proverbial shit-ton of butter), and steamed asparagus. And there was wine.

12 Likes

This burger sounds amazing!

2 Likes

“Sushi” bowl… seasoned sushi rice, avocado, smoked salmon. Plus shichimi togarashi and furikake.

11 Likes

Steak looks perfect!

1 Like

Wait… according to Wikpedia, Sichuan peppercorn is same as “Chinese prickly-ash”! They had that too!

Ribs and slaw here too! When I put them on the smoker around 1pm, it was 40 degrees and sunny. By the time they were done, it had dropped at least 20 degrees and the wind was brutal. I have never pulled racks off the smoker so fast in my life!

7 Likes

Turkey meatloaf with sweet-spicy glaze, buttered rice, tahini carrots, and Brussels pan-roasted with leeks, butter, Urfa pepper, and coriander and tossed with whole milk yogurt.

11 Likes

Chilly day and needed something hot and comforting for dinner. Had some of the leftover cabbage for lunch so wasn’t into it for dinner again. Decided potatoes sounded good!
Just boiled some little red potatoes and decided a PSTO(vegan)B was the way to go ;)) added some of trader joe everyday seasoning too. Great combo.

Side of a few hideous meatless balls, like the ones in the cabbage last night. Sparing you the photo of those. Needed some crunchy veg so i chopped up some radishes and added the same everyday seasoning

Hot chocolate will be repeated tonight!

6 Likes

A belated and quasi Southern New Year’s dinner. (Costco) rack of pork, black eyed peas and rice, a pan gravy and kale (I wanted collards but they were $4 for 4 leaves and the kale was a nice bunch for $3).

8 Likes

yum, black eyed peas, rice and greens. Makes this southern boy happy

3 Likes

I’m still missing the collards though.

1 Like

Is that just around New Year’s?

Traditional for New Years Day but certainly acceptable and welcomed to eat any time.

1 Like

No, I mean those prices around New Years. “Surge pricing”? Or are collard greens “having their day”?

1 Like