What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

:sneezing_face:

1 Like

That’s an actual picture of me!

Here is one of my husband: :mask:

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes it’s no fun prepping a day or two before you actually get to eat it, but it’s always worth it in the end.

3 Likes

YUM!!!

(I’ll repeat my gross cold/cough remedy - tsp of turmeric powder 2-3x a day, plain downed with water, or mixed with honey, or in warm water or milk; pinch of pepper too).

1 Like

Whoa. That’s bold. I don’t know if I am brave enough. My dad is always chewing raw garlic when he starts to get sick. GAH!

Certainly consuming the garlic will assure no one else will come in contact with you and get your cold!

4 Likes

Well, turmeric is well known for its healing properties. It’s not really gross in smaller quantities mixed into other things (for eg warm water and honey). I bite the bullet and just down it because it stops the cold or whatever in its tracks. Kids in my life are now used to it mixed into a paste with honey, flushed down with warm water.

2 Likes

Looks fantastic. Do you have a link to the Malaysian curry recipe?

“Odds and ends” from the fridge when I realized I was missing something for the meal I’d planned.

9 Likes

I just emailed it to my mom so I had it handy. My notes are sprinkled within. It is called Malaysian Rendang Curry:

Super tasty and you can make it in the crockpot if you want. I usually double it, but here is the single version:

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces or 6 chicken thighs/drumsticks - I do all boneless, skinless thighs

Sauce:

1/2 can coconut milk (you can use a little more)
2 T canola oil
1 onion, peeled and quartered
4 cloves of garlic
1 thumb sized piece of galangal (or ginger) - I always use ginger
1-3 red chiles
1 T tamarind paste
1 T palm sugar OR brown sugar
2 t dark soy sauce
4 T fish sauce
1/2 t turmeric
1 T ground coriander seeds
1 T ground cumin
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 cloves
1 t shrimp paste OR 1 T more fish sauce
2 whole star anise - I omitted this time since we aren’t crazy about this flavor and it is fairly strong

Put all sauce ingredients (except star anise) in food processor. Blend.

Taste, add more fish sauce if it needs more salt, more chili if not spicy enough and if too sour more sugar.

Add sauce, chicken and star anise. Bring to boil. Reduce, simmer and leave uncovered (you want the sauce to reduce and thicken). Simmer until the chicken is done (about 2 hours or so). If you are doing it in a crock pot, low for 6ish hours until the chicken pulls apart.

5 Likes

Thanks! I will definitely try this.

1 Like

DISLIKE ALL OF THAT! Hope today is better.

2 Likes

Breakfast for dinner last night.
And yes, the toast was served with a PSTOB atop it…

7 Likes

Feel better!

1 Like

A couple of small cod fillets have been given the flour and egg treatment, before getting a coating with porridge oats. They cook in the oven. Alongside, some new potatoes which will be parboiled and also finished in the oven. Peas going towards the five a day.

For dessert, a Nigel Slater idea for using up the last of the jar of mincemeant from making the Xmas mince pies. It’s mixed with a little flour - 80g to 250g mincemeat - a couple of egg yolks and the whisked whites. Dollops of the mix are fried till a bit crispy on both sides. There may be cream in the fridge but, if not, there’s definitely ice cream in the freezer.

5 Likes

ooh, sounds great, i’m going to try this, thanks for posting!

1 Like

Thanks, just a cold! Nothing serious!

Hubby made boeuf Bourgignon from “Dinner in an Instant”. Served up with egg noodles and green beans amandine. I ate half. Cocktails and jazz out after.

13 Likes

I have bread, milk and eggs, so I’m all set for THE STORM (provided the power stays on!).

Tonight’s dinner was easy-peasy: leftover pork loin thinly sliced, thin Swiss cheese and a healthy schmear of honey-crunch mustard on the inside of one of the pieces of sourdough bread, with butter schmeared on the outside of both slices, and grilled on the grill pan.

Tater chips and fruit (OK, OK, it was a glass of wine!) on the side.

15 Likes

And cocktails - gin sour with Meyer lemon and with regular lemon and amarena cherry syrup. Prefer #2.

16 Likes