What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

An interesting book in spite of its obvious Americanisation of the food. I’m thinking the general use of beef, rather than lamb or goat, in many recipes, including the two kofta recipes

1 Like

No offense, but this sounds like some Paleo dogma b.s. I don’t think there are true allergies that distinguish between fermented and not.

3 Likes

Please excuse my complete ignorance of these matters but how do you ferment oil, please.? And why would you do so (obviously except for the needs of what must be a tiny number of people who claim an allergy to unfermented)?

2 Likes

Some beef noodle soup using this recipe:

I mistakenly got eye of round instead of beef shank. After cooking, the eye of round was incredibly tough and fibrous, so I got some chuck roast and cooked it again in the pressure cooker with the stock. Chuck came out much better, very tender after cooking.

11 Likes

I’ve only heard of fermented cod liver oil. Supposedly fermenting the livers allows for cold process separation of the oil. This, in turn, provides more/better quality of vitamins and omegas. The Weston Price Foundation is one of the original proponents of it.

From Organic Facts:

" Fermented cod liver oil (FCLO) is made when the cod livers are allowed to ferment, allowing the fats to separate more effectively, resulting in a higher concentration of important fatty acids. Furthermore, FCLO is cold-pressed in its production, preventing any loss or degradation of the valuable nutrients in this oil. Green Pasture is one of the primary producers of this oil, and claim that the fermented version of cod liver oil is better than traditional fish oil. Unfortunately, there is no proven, clinical evidence that this type of oil is any better than the unfermented variety, as the concentrations of vitamins D and A, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, may fluctuate between brands and producers."

I suspect fermented soya oil is a similar process/philosophy.

Fantastic

1 Like

I think authenticity is over-rated. As a 1st generation Korean-American, I applaud the “bastardization” of my home country cuisine, a lineage that includes HRD San Fran, and most recently continuing through Chang, Choi, and numerous other less well-known cooks of Korean (or otherwise) ancestry. Non-Koreans NEED apply. :star_struck:

ETA: There was a recent Smitten Kitchen Instagram kerfuffle over the ownership of bibimbap. I’m writing this post-script as an acknowledgement of current events/I don’t live under a rock. But I don’t wish to inject politics into food discussions.

1 Like

Does this mean you were born in Korea or does it mean that your parents were born in Korea? I’ve heard “1st generation” used both ways. I always thought it meant your parents were immigrants.

I meant that I’m 2nd generation. Sleep-deprivation.

It rained the whole week, I must say since nearly 1 month I haven’t see the sun. Gloomy and moody.

Big Pho Bo week (5 meals!), used beef chucks, ox tails and bone marrow, plus onion, leek leaves and spices (star anises, white pepper, cinnamon, ginger etc). Broth tasted really good with slow simmering and several reheating. Herbs included Thai basil, mint, cilantro, aneth, mung beans sprouts and with thinly sliced white part of leek (briefly cooked by broth for 2-3 minutes). Some sliced raw steak at the last minute cooked by the hot broth, so good for the cold and rainy days.

Cod with Vietnamese fish sauce, sesame oil and ginger, potatoes and arugula.

Tonight, it was pork ribs marinated last minute with soy sauce, oyster sauce, yakitori sauce, Taiwanese black vinegar and oil. Oven cooked. Egg tofu added 10 minutes before the end, with cucumber.

13 Likes

I would have trouble not seeing the sun for a month…I have to use full spectrum lamps in the winter.

3 Likes

I made what I’m calling “Taiwanese sloppy joes” with braised beef, cilantro, cucumber, scallion, jalapeños, and pickled ginger. Broccoli from last night repurposed with sesame, ponzu, and chili-black bean oil.

13 Likes

That looks yum!

1 Like

That looks sooooo good.

1 Like

It was a hack but really tasty!

1 Like

Patriots march on to Kansas City.

I marched into the kitchen to run the dishwasher and upstairs to run a load of laundry during breaks in the game.

I was thinking about getting more inventive with dinner, but went with tried and true.

Small center cut pork loin seasoned with olive oil, crushed rosemary, dried thyme, minced garlic, salt and pepper and roasted until it reached 140-145° internal temp.

Sides were mashed maple-ginger sweet potatoes with pomegranate arils and steamed asparagus.

Wine. And chocolate for afters.

10 Likes

Delish!

1 Like

Celebrating my son’s 32 birthday tonight. He loves lamb so shanks sounded like the perfect dish. It probably is my favorite lamb dish. I had removed much of the silverskin so tied them to keep them from falling apart in the oven

14 Likes

that looks utterly fantastic. thanks for sharing the link!

1 Like

drooling…