What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Oh, I should add that I julienned the carrots and cucumbers, but cut the peppers ridiculously large with the chef’s knife! Certainly not balanced. Next time I’ll try julienning them, either with the OXO grater set that I usually use, or with the knife if they don’t grate well.

More strange flavor bang bang info

BANG BANG CHICKEN, STRANGE-FLAVOUR CHICKEN, OR COLD CHICKEN WITH SAUCE from “With a Glass”.

I used 1 cup grated sweet potato to eight cups of sauce. Judging by many commercial brands, sugar is used to counter acid. I enjoy tomatoes and limit sugar wherever I can. But if the fruit is really lacking I either used canned brands I trust or my Aunts tip.

If you give it a try, I will look forward to your review😊.

1 Like

Tonight uses the last of the brisket. Meat will be chopped and mixed with sauteed onion and zucchini then stuffed into a peeled poblano. The stuffed pepper goes into a baking dish and will be covered with the last (frozen) bit of shakshuka sauce and cooked until hot and bubbling. Sides are black beans, yellow rice and avocado slices. Leftover black beans will later appear in a sweet potato soup.

6 Likes

Palestinian köfte using a recipe from “Gaza Kitchen” by Laila el-Hadad. Folded into charred tortillas with harissa (in place of shatteh), cucumber-yogurt sauce with cumin, turmeric, and dried mint, and salsa roja (tomatoes this time of year are awful). Hubby made a red lentil-butternut squash soup to start. Grilled coriander and lemon broccoli on the side

17 Likes

My mouth is watering!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like

Haircut.
Long-term care home visit.
Mom visit.
Supermarket visit.

Dinner was planned on the way home from Mom’s: mini quiches with roasted asparagus, red bell pepper, caramelized onion, bacon and goat cheese.

A side salad of red leaf lettuce, cocktail tomatoes, sliced/quartered radishes with a lemon-mustard-honey vinaigrette and sprinkled with minced scallions and the bacon that didn’t go into the quiche.

Wine as the final side dish.

There will be some chocolate for dessert. Maybe Licor 43 alongside. Whatever interests me on the flat screen.

16 Likes

I wonder who you’re talking about. :smirk:

2 Likes

Thanks! DH cooked most of it.

1 Like

My mind is silly - I immediately thought quiche on the half shell because of the scalloped edge of the tin! And that’s my mind without wine! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

The poblano had some kick to it! So sour cream garnish and lime juice over the avocado.

My frugal self loves a meal like this - used half an avocado, half a zucchini, 2 small slices of brisket and the last 1/8th of a red onion. I enjoy the puzzle of using a bit left from another meal to create something quite different while cutting down on the waste of a little of this and that. Plus it tasted great!

7 Likes

Welcome back! Sounds delicious! Do the meatballs disintegrate with that long of a cook time or stand up?

You are so accommodating! Any vacancies? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Damn girl. Don’t be surprised if you have us show up on your doorstep. We will bring wine!

3 Likes

Yes, they break down completely to flavor the sauce. I wound up using it for french bread pizzas, lasagna and a small steak pizziola. When we make larger meatballs for sandwiches or pasta we make a slightly diff type of tomato sauce.

1 Like

Very welcome, any of you!

2 Likes

Needed soup today! Entirely too much running around the city today in the freaking cold. Lots of veggies and some cabbage which I really like in soups. Started with onion and garlic, a big blob of tomato paste, the cabbage, canned tomatoes, some carrots, white beans, caraway seeds, red wine vinegar, black pepper and salt. Added a blob of dijon to my big bowl which was great with the cabbage.
Most of the rest will go to the freezer

Definitely making the same hot chocolate with oatmilk again tonight, that was delicious and really creamy

8 Likes

:smile:

1 Like

Guests were up till 3:00-4:00am . I went to bedroom to watch tv til around 3:00 AM, they were still spinning. Good thing I am hearing impaired and has my headphone to watch TV.
Son made breakfast ( turkey bacon, sample duck sausage, scrambled eggs, croissant, fruits.
Lunch was late having a late breakfast. I took pictures but do not know what happened. Main course was shrimp and lobster sauce ( first recipe using ground pork), second recipe using ground duck cooked the same way. Was pretty good except I added broad bean sauce as well as black beans with chili oil for the ground meat etc. etc. One guest says she is allergic to soya oil unless I is fermented. So, she had seared tuna ( I would not allow her to eat it raw as it has ever been frozen so I seared it) and some left over wild boar Italian ragu . All these last minute confusion, wonder what happened to my pictures? Dessert was apple pie from Whole Foods. ( I did not try that, . was told it is sweet)

Dinner is part of the mail order duck that came ( am trying to experiment with them so I can order some more), 1.5 lbs of breasts that I cut into strips, marinaded this morning with gochuchang, sesame oil, then cooked with caramelized onion,s ginger garlic and spicy chili crisp/ Then, the duck was taken out, stir fried golden Beets, and a little carrots till tender, added , snow peas and asparagus, ( I boiled the ends to make a little sauce from marinade) then added them all together.

There was substantial duck meat -1.5 lb of very lean meat for $8.75. I enclosed picture and it was quite tender.

14 Likes