What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

I hope you have a good result with the consultation with your Allergist.

4 Likes

Pakistani fried chicken with tarkay walay chawal (brown rice), kachumber (salad), fried potatoes, and chutneys.

Pumpkin Buttermilk Streusel Pie:https://zoebakes.com/2018/10/21/buttermilk-pumpkin-streusel-pie/

I have some nitpicks, but nothing that prevented me from scarfing down 2 slices for breakfast.

12 Likes

How did you adapt the topping? Zoe’s looked nutty and yours looks more like a crumble, which I would enjoy more.

i love that you’re eating rice AND potatoes on one plate. Very Andean of you! :relaxed:

3 Likes

Leftover green chicken chili and steamed broccoli with tahini-ponzu-mustard-agave vinaigrette. Sounds weird but it worked.

8 Likes

First, Zoe’s instructions are sort of incomplete. In general, her blog is for intermediate bakers. For blind baking, if you don’t have a preference, I would look at Stella Park’s writeup on Serious Eats. I’ve used Zoe’s way before and my bottom crust is always too blond or the sides are way over, although in her Instagram “video” thing, it seems perfect. (No idea how she managed to pull that off.) I’ve also used Milk Street’s method before, but still prefer Stella’s. Also, Zoe doesn’t give times for baking the pumpkin custard, so use your intuition. My pumpkin puree was watery and it took about 45 minutes at 325F.

Second, I think there’s a mistake in the streusel ingredients if you want it to look “sandy” like hers. I don’t think there should be a whole stick of butter. First time around I did it by hand and thought that must be my mistake. I wanted to get it right, so I tried again. Second time, I used a pastry cutter like Zoe but still it came out this way, like one big cookie that you break up into pieces. It tasted good to me and looked okay, so I left it. It could be my technique just isn’t correct. I have a lot of crumble to use up now, though.

Lastly, she tops the pie with far too much whipped cream and streusel . I’m guessing it was for Instagram purposes. The pie filling flavor is delicate, so I used half the amount of whipped cream and crumble.

4 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to detail that for me. My pumpkin pie experience is beginner although my crust baking is coming along. But I am not familiar with a topped version and that sounded different and interesting. How about the spices? Which spices do you prefer in pumpkin pie?

Chicken thighs braised in red sauce . Topped with chicken skin lardons. Zucchini sauteed in oo , grated Parma to top . Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers.

14 Likes

Loving the chkn skin lardons

Is the red sauce tomato or pepper based?

Tomato and some red bell pepper, garlic, onion , and chianti , with mushrooms. Cooked down the canned crushed tomato . Then added the rest . The mushrooms were sauteed first before adding to the sauce.

2 Likes

It was a definite hit. I gave out the leftovers and my neighbors and family loved it.

As for spices, I like the standard cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. But I didn’t miss the cloves here at all.

1 Like

chicken skin lardons! swoon…

2 Likes

aaaaand, MEXICAN! for a change. :smiley: We were going to go out to a Portuguese chicken place I’m reviewing but BF wasn’t feeling it, so i just made us something quick out of leftovers. Taquitos, stuffed with longaniza, mexi-rice, Oaxacan cheese, and topped with the leftover mole and crema. Very rich, so I also had a small chopped salad of cukes, radishes, shallots and scallions on the side…

16 Likes

I haven’t eaten out (or via takeout) this much in a while… my tummy is unhappy, as am I generally - it’s so much easier to control intake (and flavor) with home food.

But I made some yummy cauliflower as a side today - spiced like chicken malai kabab (yogurt/cream/cardamom/nutmeg) and roasted. So tasty. Also pictured - the leftover lebanese chicken kabab platter I finished (chicken was awful & dry, rice was tasty, and I’m oddly fond of grilled tomato).

Other recent self-cooked meals included an “indian omelette” - made thin, with the addition of basically salsa fresca - finely chopped tomato, onion, green chilli, and cilantro.

14 Likes

No pics because I was staving, but bottom round roasts were on sale at my supermarket for $1.80/lb so I made that. I basically followed this: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/herb-crusted-roast-beef/

Paired with roasted butternut squash and asparagus. Easy dinner to get to the table for sure. Next time I’ll make a gravy pan sauce from the drippings but ran out of steam.

Tonight, I am thinking about stuffed peppers. My mom gave me a bag of the last of the peppers from her garden that I want to use.

9 Likes

Thanks, no answer till results came in , 10 days or so ,but I was asked to withhold milk. Forgot to ask him about cheese. Very depressed, stopped by8 to get some almond milk and asparagus.

@Rooster: Actually, the instructions are there in the blog post, but not when you print out the recipe. It’s still not clear what temp to bake the custard. I used 325F and it was good.

1 Like

Noted, thxs

Tonight I’m planning homemade pizza with a white clam sauce base and fresh market basil. Wine and mango gelato from WF.

Get out the vote!
Rooster

9 Likes

I vote for dinner at your place

4 Likes