What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

I have never seen red pear before. I usually use Granny Smith apples for this recipe. Gave it a try and it was good.

Did not have any crackers so the brie that hoed out, Wolfie and Luna beat you to them.
Still have plenty , come over!

1 Like

I let it simmer about another hour after the photo, so you definitely need a spoon to eat it but not quite saucey enough to qualify as a soup or stew if that makes sense… it’s best served over some noodles or polenta but I didn’t have my act together!

Wow, that would make it a real stick-to-your-ribs meal.

1 Like

Incredible…let me get my loaf of bread😋

1 Like

I have made these brownies twice. Really tasty and chewy.

Tonight was a totally necessary day of rest from eating. I didn’t even have a cup of joe.

This wknd was a gastro blur my friends. We arrived at my brothers place with a van loaded with pantry items, side dishes, small goodie bags and booze.

everyone, 22-60 yrs of age took turns cooking or preparing a favorite with lots of fun kitchen chaos my younger sibs bring to every party. An official food fight in the backyard ensued the second night and from that point it all got a bit hazy. Music, madness and lots of laughs.

grub,
Chicken four ways, baked-grilled-wings-soup
Roasted vegtables and fruits
Fire pit taters
blackberry pancakes
maple eggs, a new one on me
pumpkin mousse
pear crumble
3 large bags of prep’d green salad
red rice
loaves of bread
a couple of soft rind cheeses
roasted peppers and olive platter
…and from there its a blur.

Burp.

17 Likes

what a fun family!

2 Likes

Long visit today with Mom.

Then doing some invoicing for work so tomorrow isn’t quite so crazy.

Comfort food for dinner - Mom’s Lemon Pot Roast, boiled potatoes and carrots.

Oh - and wine. Comfort liquid. :wink:

10 Likes

Love that pot roast!

1 Like

Oh yeah, looney but always fun.

1 Like

It is! Good for chilly winter nights. And (gasp!) vegan. But whatevs, if bacon is your thing i feel like people make cabbage with bacon fat, so you could use that when sautéing the onions.

1 Like

Friends were visiting from out of town so i agreed to meet them at Dumbo House (aka the brooklyn location of soho house) for brunch. It’s a beautiful space but also as i suspected definitely a “scene” which is just not my thing any more. Probably especially because i work in fashion. Anyways, on sunday the only option is their (surprisingly expensive) buffet which was fantastic yet ultimately not worth it for me since i pass on things like the enormous porchetta, shrimp cocktail, lox platter and omelette station…
anyways, i ate enough of the various tasty veg options I’m not interested in dinner. Will probably have a big honeycrisp with nut butter and my tea. Have to be up stupid early to get the train to philly
Great to see my friends and we had a gorgeous day to wander the area a bit and do the carousel with the little ones.

Fantastic timing earlier today as i saw the first group of mens marathoners as they went down 5th ave through my neighborhood and somehow got this great photo! The third runner in the photo was the winner today, the two men in the front were second and third places

13 Likes

Awesome pic!!!

2 Likes

wow, that really is a great pic!

1 Like

Made the mole almendrado (almond) tonight, with the mix i bought in CDMX, and used it on carnitas enchiladas. made the carnitas first thing this a.m. Melty Oaxacan cheese in with the meat, queso fresco and Mexican crema on top. Leftover Mexi-rice and beans from the other night. Don’t seem to be getting tired of these flavors…

carnitas%20makings%204

Didn’t end up using that duck fat, as I had enough bacon fat for the carnitas.

The mole sauce was pretty fantastic. need to work on getting mix-to-broth (i used homemade pork broth) ratio down pat, as it was a bit thick early on (but tasted amazing) and then i had to thin it down a bit to serve.

14 Likes

Ohhhh I’m going to need to try that roasting grapes concept. That sounds delicious.

3 Likes

Sounds like a blast!!! Glad you had such a great time!

1 Like

FYI…I do not use bacon fat or any animal protein, just never have as this was always made in my house hold with a dollop of sour cream and some fresh chopped scallions on top. This bowl of goodness was served as part of a “dairy” meal in our home. perhaps followed by some cheese blintzes and a “cooked fruit relish”. One little difference instead of the vinegar, I substitute some chardonnay.

4 Likes

This is lunch not dinner
Been on red meat free diet for the past 13 days
Consultation with allergist at 4:30Pm today to ask if I had a false positive alpha gal test, maybe request for AgE panel ( specific beef, pork, lamb )panel if he agrees, also skin test or food challenge.
So, am uptight, not wanting to cook, nor do anything today.
Simmered broccolini after water came to a boil for 2-3 minutes
Sautéed mushroom in butter and olive oil,( left over from my breakfast this morning of egg omelet and mushroom)
set aside,
to pan, added shrimp stock ( no white wine available). tilapia loin from costco till fish flaked, broccolini and mushroom back in to pan, was about to grate gruyere cheese but found a package of mozzarella, unopened, perhaps will expire soon so used that instead til cheese melted ( not a good choice) Mozarealla did not melt well.
Salt, and white pepper to taste but after picture was taken, added a bit of soy sauce to color it.
Served with rice.

9 Likes