What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

That all sounds fab!

1 Like

Um, sorta…for a big party-sized batch, two slow cookers’ worth:

homemade broth - filled my large slow cooker with a rotisserie chicken carcass and wing, a halved unpeeled onion, water, sea salt and bay leaves. Cooked all day, then skimmed out the solids…

In which I then cooked:

3 beans from scratch - equal parts dried limas, Great Northern, and pintos brined in sea salt water. Probably a half bag of each?

Cooked til creamy and set aside.

In the now-empty slow cooker combined:

fresh local salsa verde - about 24 oz.

roasted poblano, onion, and garlic, cumin, Badia Adobo - one poblano, two large onions, and probably 6-8 cloves garlic tossed with olive oil and the spices and broiled til charred (flip once). Then mash the garlic.

chicken thighs - two packages b/s, very well trimmed, cut into bite-sized pieces, and seasoned with adobo, salt, and pepper

Cooked the chicken with the veg in the salsa til very tender.

Then divided the chicken mixture between two crock pots and sirred in the beans and 1 c. ea. canned, drained hominy, heated through.

Served up with all The Usual Suspects in garnishes.

11 Likes

Forgot to post. Milk Street Tahini Swirl Brownies. Excellent. Tahini is strong at first, but mellows quickly.

16 Likes

looks delicious

Food looks fab. Enjoying reading your blog that I just noticed the link to.

1 Like

many, many thanks, Scuba!

Pretty

Thanks, I didn’t make it this time, the process took a lot of time. This store bought has 40% fish, and vegetables including tomato, carrot and potato.

I have not had the inclination to cook but a neighbor came by today to visit
So, I invited. her for dinner
She just called, a friend is hiking nearby. She ask if she can bring him over
So, I Have an hour to prepare before they arrive
Had already prepared a salad of roasted butternut squash with EVOO, S/P and added 4 organic cooked beets , a red pear, and some spring mix. Made a vinaigrette of lemon Meyer lemon infused EVOO, red wine vinegar , 2 kinds of mustards, lemon , S/P but spilled half of it. So, I just added some more of the EVOO and balsamic vinegar. This will be topped with Feta Chesse. Do not know if I have time to roast some nuts. The picture is before I added the feta . There are more spring mix in there, just hidden under the beets.
Main course would be Ahi Tuna ( Fresh, never frozen), so I would have to sear it for a minute in EVOO and butter when they arrive. I made a sauce of 1/2 tsp each of red and green yuzu kasha, a small amount of mirin, a small amount of sesame oil , lemon and red miso. I hope I remember to take picture before I serve.
Just took my pepperidge farm puff pastry shell out to defrost. I have triple creme brie that I cut in half, spread Dalmatia Fig Spread between the halves. Have 20 ,more minutes to go till pastry is soft enough to handle. Hate to make the kitchen dirty esp when I do not know the guest.

Hope I an roll before they show up but in the meantime, my 2 baby Pomeranians need to be brushed.
Today , I just want to relax, gave them a bath and we just lay in bed as I do not dry them completely Do no like them to lie on my cold tiled floor. So, we three had been in bed since their shower!!!
Guests came
My neighbor’s guest cannot eat dairy products so he passed on the the salad as well as the Brie ( Feta) but he loved the Ahi tuna with the dressing. It was really good.
Sorry, as usual , forgot to take pictures of the Tuna but here is a picture of the partially eaten brie.
They brought pinot noir. Q69x3eRSQwKsomLxXYzEfg

19 Likes

I had time today to actually put some thought into dinner rather than suddenly becoming hungry and just winging it.

Crash potatoes, roasted asparagus, chanterelles with sherry butter, scallops with hazelnut/pear pickle brine glaze.

Roasted little Yukon gold potatoes and asparagus (tossed in evoo - spuds s/p, asparagus sprinkled with homemade lemon salt). Toasted hazelnuts. Cooked off sliced chanterelles in butter, deglazed with dry sherry. S/p scallops, seared in butter, deglazed with extra brine from jasmine tea pickled pears which were made a few days ago. Added the hazelnuts to the resulting sauce. Decide some crunch was needed so smashed the potatoes and popped under the broiler then garnished with minced parsley.

Every thing was delicious. I had thought about lemon juice to finish the scallops but that flavor was already seasoning the asparagus. Figured the extra brine would add a nice acidic note. Sherry went nicely with the chanterelles.

It was nice having a real dinner for a change! The first dish started was ready when the last dish was finished - it all came together in about 35 minutes.

13 Likes

Even Winnie-the-Pooh would have agreed today was WAY more than a blustery day. Especially if you were in a car driving on the highway in first the downpouring rain - and then the insane wind gusts. That wasn’t fun.

A short visit with Mom but she was doing relatively well.

Dinner tonight was a NYT recipe - Sheet Pan Chicken with Shallots and Grapes. Good recipe. Served with rice pilaf and asparagus. And wine.

Pre-roasting:

And after it cooked:

And a beautiful red maple that just turned red a few days ago in my sister’s front yard. That picture was taken within 5 minutes of the sun going away and it starting to downpour again…then the sun came out for my blustery ride home.

17 Likes

That chicken looks fantastic. Aren’t roasted grapes delicious?

3 Likes

I do a similar recipe. I use italian sausage instead of chicken with the grapes .

4 Likes

I would do anything for one of those right now…!!

Nice looking salad. Very fresh looking with the pear and squash

3 Likes

Did you say chanterelles?!???
And crash hot potatoes AND roasted asparagus?!
I’m inviting myself over.

4 Likes

Glad mom is doing well :)) and that you had such a tasty well deserved dinner!

1 Like

Very blustery day here too! It was just too dangerous to bike outside, hopefully I can tomorrow. The nyc marathon route is about a block away so i’ll stop over to cheer them on and give high fives. It’s like a big block party along the route and people set up tables to hand out water cups and banana halves and cheer.

I cooked!! Made a big pot of braised cabbage started with a bunch on onions i let carmelize, added in lots of garlic, tomato paste, white pepper, thyme, caraway seeds, cider vinegar, chopped tomatoes, dijon mustard, cabbage, and the kitchen sink! Photo of it still bubbling away, when finished it’s an unappetizing greyish green. Tonight’s bowl i added in chickpeas and some hemp seeds. Most of the rest will go to the freezer which needs replenishing.

Glass of wine while cooking, another with my meal. Love this one, on the slightly sweet side

Ugh. Not yellow in real life. Terrible lighting in my apartment after dark!

16 Likes

oh that brie! i would have eaten his share and then some. nice of you to cook for them!

1 Like

Looks terrific. Does that wind up as a soup?