What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

I 'm making this while the hubs is away. He is Jack Sprat. I’m the wife who could eat no lean.

1 Like

For baked ziti, I only use rigatoni now. Used it once and never looked back. I should try with ziti again. I can’t remember why exactly, but I was never satisfied with ziti.

1 Like

Chana chaat for dinner today. Yogurt (on bottom), cucumber, tomato, diced onion marinated in lemon juice, chick peas, fried diced potato (usually these are boiled, my twist), cilantro, mint chutney, tamarind chutney, red pepper powder, and chaat masala. When you mix it all up, it looks like this:

15 Likes

For the rice? It was takeout. But I’m convinced it had lots of butter and lemon juice, and then they sprinkled sumac on top.

4 Likes

Ummm TRUTH

fish soup! that looks awesomely hearty - what’s in it?

Yummm

We hosted a big fall chili party tonight. I made green chicken chili with homemade broth, 3 beans from scratch, fresh local salsa verde, roasted poblano, onion, and garlic, cumin, Badia Adobo, chicken thighs, and hominy. Served up with sour cream, radish, cilantro, scallions, hot sauces, Fritos, etc. I also made a Thai coconut-curry lentil and quinoa dish for the veggies. There were tons of other chilis, cornbread, roasted veggies, pimento cheese, brownies, mini eclairs, apple pie a la mode, etc. And plenty of beer and wine!

17 Likes

love it. especially your pasta to stuff ratio - matches mine spot on

1 Like

430 invoices.
In 1.5 days.
Two loooooonggg days.
More invoicing to come this weekend.
Yay me. Rah, rah, rah.

Even though I got home late tonight, I was determine to cook something. NY strip loin steak picked up at the butcher a couple of days ago, seasoned with s/p and olive oil, and seared on the grill pan, finished in the oven to medium-rare.

Baked tater, lots lots lots of butter, s/p, and sour cream with some minced green onion, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds. The slices of steak was topped with Ballymaloe Steak Sauce with Irish Stout. This stuff was good! I got it at World Market.

Oh, there was definitely wine tonight. In fact, there were two wines.

15 Likes

All of that sounds delicious! I love the idea of green chicken chili with hominy - Is there a recipe?

1 Like

Yikes that sounds like a really rough week! I hope your back improves quickly, that’s the most uncomfortable thing to deal with

2 Likes

Fun! What a spread too…!

1 Like

One of those potatoes from Tule lake . Baked and topped with butter and sour cream . That’s it . Ate the skin also. Delicious. Wine to drink :wine_glass:Cheers

4 Likes

Last night was part of a Pret sandwich i grabbed in the five minutes i had between getting to the train station and said train leaving… only apparently eating on the train makes me queasy.
Finally back to my apt in nyc fairly late last night , had a bit of oatmeal with a gob of peanut butter.

Tonight all i wanted was a huge salad- the usual suspects here, added a few of those hideous meatless balls after the photo. And a big glass of reisling a la carte

7 Likes

Still having hankerings, so tonight was my first try at Tacos Campechanos. Marinated a small rib eye in fresh lime/lemon/orange juices, minced garlic, serranos, cumin, Maggi, salt, granulated garlic, cayenne, etc. for maybe half hour. Dried off the steak, cut it up, quick saute over high heat with olive oil and butter, took it out, drained it, fried up longaniza sausage, then mixed the steak back in. Lovely! BF said it tasted just like the ones in CDMX. not quite, but they were pretty goddamned good. Beans I’d made Tues. night, with nothing but a couple of fresh bay leaves, crushed garlic cloves and salt. The 3-day wait did them good - very flavorful. My usual mexi-rice but with extra chipotle tonight - muy bueno. insipid-looking cukes were limey & salty & just fine.

Feliz Dia de Los Muertos! (I caught some of the parade in our neighborhood tonight.)

Mission%20DDLM%209

14 Likes

Maria , I would like your recipe for mexi- rice . Care to give. Thanks. Amazing tacos.

1 Like

thank you! and of course! it varies, but the basics are:

saute smashed garlic clove (tonight I also added chopped onion) in about 4-5 tbs. olive oil, add 1 cup rice. stir stir stir over medium high heat until rice turns white (“like popcorn,” my mom used to say), or even a bit toasty. add water and/or chicken broth - about 1-2/3 cup. I usually use a couple of Maggi chicken/tomato cubes of bouillon but I was out. add any or a combo of the following: tomato paste (about 2 tbs.), tomato sauce (same), Pato jalapeno sauce (same), a bit of cumin, a clove or two, a bay leaf, chipotle powder, granulated garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne. And salt - about 3/4 tbs. You want it redder than you might think, you want it saltier than you might think. Play around with it. Let it boil for maybe a minute, covered, then turn heat all the way to low, let it cook for 20 minutes. if it’s nearing the end and you can tell the rice isn’t quite done, just add a little water.

12 Likes

Thank you so much Maria. Wonderful.

1 Like

Nice italian birthday dinner for a special kiddo. I had osso buco with saffron risotto - the last time I had this was probably over a decade ago. Great thin crust pizza and an unusual salad served as starters for the table.

I baked a cake earlier in the day, saved it for tomorrow given the evening’s indulgences.

11 Likes