What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

oh my god, that whole plate!

i’m coming to the end of my live-like-a-local sojourn in turin so we are clearing out the fridge and having lots of salads, complemented by whatever small hot dish we can put our hand to

First up, end of October clear out the fridge meal - a gorgeous little pumpkin i’ll stick in my suitcase, a plate of Halloween cookies and an aged three-milk robiola, a pasta counter purchase of melanzane parmiggiana, and a salad with ash roasted beet, tomato, fresh goat cheese, mint , and arugula. Will miss the Chinotto - the London version now has aspartame.

Next up two salads one with the remaining beet, arugula, mint and local hazelnuts, the other a local burrata, with tomato, basil, arugula and capers.

A few more items to pull together what’s left before packing lunch for our long journey home to London.

22 Likes

Meals out / takeout the past couple of nights.

Tonight - middle eastern: beef kofta and chicken kabab, tabbouleh, rice with sumac. Rice was amazing, kababs were sadly dry.

Last night - snacks and chili at a friend’s before trick or treating with a bunch of kiddos. My tummy did not appreciate the chili, though it was tasty.

Made some chawanmushi and glazed mushrooms to have with it earlier. One of my favorite recent meals. Forgot to take a pic, though.

7 Likes

great post, john! morning smile for me or what! (as i pack to leave my italian sojourn wondering if i will be let in next year…)

Safe trip, Jan.

I’ve read recently that there’s talk of visa waiver thingies - like the American ESTA - rather than us just being waved through (even though we’re not part of the Schengen Agreement).

Tonight’s dinner is at a favourite place in the city. We had a reservation there last week but the city centre was so gridlocked that it was impossible to get to. Using the tram instead tonight

I’m going to agree with those eaters who say elbows or it’s not Mac ‘n’ Cheese. :wink:

3 Likes

For me, it’s been leftovers or a bowl of cereal since Monday or Tuesday - can’t recall last time I cooked. (I think Tuesday night) I’m in month-end billing hell (with a gazillion political invoices for online advertising), dealing with multiple HR issues, tweaked my lower back yesterday getting out of bed (this is what an old has to deal with), and also trying to deal with Mom issues.

I did manage to pick up some items at my local butcher on the 31st, so I’m hoping one of those steaks is dinner tonight. We’ll see what time I get out of here tonight.

3 Likes

Mallorca was one of my favorite places to visit. What a beautiful place!

1 Like

I did another version of a fast shrimp and veggie pasta. This time with lemon and way more garlic. It needed more liquid. I try to keep white wine in the fridge for this purpose but then I accidentally drink it. WHOOPS!

14 Likes

aw, Linda, that’s all too much. Hope it clears up for you soon, especially the back issue. You don’t need to be in pain on top of everything else.

2 Likes

wow, you did Italia right! buon viaggio!

It was really good!

Latest evolution of my lamb dish; Merquez sausage in harissa and tomato sauce.

15 Likes

That’s what my husband says! And baked ziti has to be actual ziti. Not penne. It’s all short pasta ( although I get that size and ridges matter. Ha ha. )!

Anybody got a link explain which short pasta works best for what, and why?

4 Likes

you made your own merguez with the lamb? love! BF doesn’t love lamb, drat him… tho he does love all things sausage…

1 Like

Please share recipe!

That is a lot on your plate. Hang in there!

2 Likes

Same-sies!

1 Like

:rofl: it is those little people that live with us!

1 Like

Love Heinz 57!