What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

:+1: should work well. Just need enough salt to pull some water out and the sugar also has the same effect and balance the salt taste. I’m not afraid of sugar but I know many people like to avoid it

It’s a snowy, blustery day here around NYC. To avoid commuting in the snowstorm, I worked from home in the suburbs today. I have pot roast in the oven, sweet potatoes roasting, will steam some broccoli and roast some asparagus the last few minutes before we eat. At the moment, the house smells amazing, everything is prepped/in process and I"m enjoying a glass of wine with great music while the kiddos happily build LEGOs in the adjacent room. So thankful to be warm and safe inside with my favorite peeps.

12 Likes

“What kind of monster makes a fried calzone only for themselves?” So I made some more today for them.

I was informed I’ve actually made it before, and even made the “real” Italian fried calzone which isn’t super soft like these. I honestly can’t remember these days.

16 Likes

Day 4 of grey chilly rain…

Dinner was steak, baked potato, baked onion and spinach sauteed in bacon fat.
A sunny lemon poppy seed muffin will be a late dessert with tea !

9 Likes

Thanks! I looked at epicurious and used their 50/50 salt/sugar ratio, but I may have overdone the coriander and fennel… time will tell…

1 Like

My current idea of heaven.

2 Likes

Nah…

1 Like

Our New Orleans-themed dinner date got cancelled tonight as our babysitter didn’t want to be exposed to our babe’s illness (understandable enough). So after contemplating takeout, I quickly threw together pork and scallop dumplings (from frozen) and black-bean fermented-chili tofu and zucchini over rice. Better than what we could get locally and cheap.

14 Likes

Delayed due to weather until Sunday. Ty.

That’s a very impressive “throw together” meal! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Looks so good. Interesting beer.

1 Like

I have never tried tripe.

Chicken with broccoli and vegetable fried rice

8 Likes

10 Likes

Glad you were able to stay home and work too. I did as well but my husband commuted in. Port Authority was shut down so he was forced to take a train. Happily, he walked in the door by 845 from getting on a 7 PM train. Best case scenario after hearing horror stories of 6 hour commutes, 20 car pile ups and stranded kids on buses.

3 Likes

Another long day. But home in time to watch the news and cook dinner and eat at a reasonable hour. AND I’m off next week (but not doing anything fun).

Dinner was roast pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil, s/p, and Penzeys’ Tsardust seasoning, roasted for awhile, then a mix of Honey-Crunch mustard and white wine spooned over top which ended up making a bit of sauce.

Roasted baby potatoes with oil, s/p, garlic powder, and dried parsley, and peas and corn.

You can be damn sure there was wine. Two. Full. Glasses.

And I’m sleeping in tomorrow. At least until 7 a.m.

15 Likes

Yay for vacay next week! And not going anywhere kind of makes it even better-traveling can get stressful.

5 Likes

Chipotle black bean burgers with cheddar, avo, and bbq sauce. Aldi “Deutsch Küche” green pea soup on the side. And some Healdsburg pinot.

Holiday travel tomorrow, so not much cooking (but plenty of eating) in my future.

12 Likes

East coast people know yesterday was a total mess-well i am one of those epic sagas of people trying to get home… arrived at the train station in philly a little after 6pm. Finally left on a train at 9pm. The saga continued trying to get to my apartment once in nyc.
Dinner was peanut butter pretzels, an edamame salad thing and hot tea from Pret (it was so late with so many stuck travelers they ran out of sandwiches).
Second dinner was indian delivery after midnight once i got to my apartment and realized i was starving- not at all authentic coconut milk veggie curry of some kind and i cant remember the name for it but the flatter whole wheat bread. It came with a side of rice too but I wasn’t into it at the moment and put in the fridge for later

Desperate for a salad tonight i made my basic version with cucumber, olives, lots of sunflower seeds, there’s lettuce under there somewhere. Added miso tahini dressing after the photo. Side of hot miso broth to keep me warm, had some homemade kombucha while chopping stuff.

13 Likes

Dinner tonight was the leftover pork belly/rice/stir fry bowl from earlier in the week. Flavor had melded into something much better than night #1! Which makes me think perhaps the original dish would be improved with an overnight marinade.

Finally sunshine today! I was checking on my elderly neighbor today - was a little concerned as she had not answered the door the day before. We discovered her doorbell is not working. Then I noticed a line of ants marching from her pantry. I emptied it out, wiped it down and treated it with ant spray. Seems they were drawn to a honey jar that was a little sticky. I think her vision isn’t strong enough to spot the little sugar ants.

I’ll return tomorrow and put it all back together. We were just getting started on her Thanksgiving shopping list when the ant drama began. We’ll finish the list Saturday and I’ll check the dry ingredients to make sure they are in good shape. She is just making pies so it shouldn’t be overly taxing for her.

18 Likes