What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

Veggo’s brother posted to CH about it. Iirc Veggo was his given name. I think many of us assumed he was vegetarian or vegan initially.

He is very missed. He was a very generous poster and equally generous in helping make connections through private emails.

The following captures how much he touched people:

9 Likes

Safe travels. Even if the avenues to help are limited I’m sure just you being there will be a huge plus.
Sending good wishes your way…

4 Likes

Potato gratin (?). I think that’s what it’s called. I never looked at the definitions of gratin vs scalloped. It overflowed and ruined the oven floor. I forgot to use a sheet pan. But the running joke is whenever that happens, the end result is always yummier. There’s no cheese, the cream sort of becomes cheese-like on top.

Also made a fried calzone today. I don’t know why I didn’t do that sooner. It came out very similar to an Indian/Pakistani bhatura. I kept thinking I should take a picture but then I didn’t want to stop eating it.

10 Likes

This would have cracked Veggo up!

I’ve had a day filled with difficult emotions. Remembering Veggo and the others who have left us too soon has left me a bit teary. But tears are good - they help the body process.

Raising a (not quite as nice) glass of scotch to all the wonderful folks - past, present, future- who enrich our lives in this wondrous virtual exchange.

13 Likes

Thank you very much. I leave in the morning and have invited four couples to join my family for Thanksgiving and try to help them regroup. I can’t imagine losing my home in a fire.

7 Likes

Some mapo tofu over rice, with a beer.

11 Likes

Bought or homemade? You make me remember how much I like this dish.

Midweek doldrums & it’s sleeting! Pantry soup, base - Better Than Boullion veg. Cut up a carrot. Threw in a handful of TF’s 10-minute faro, half a sack of TJ’s cruciferous crunch, Four Aidel’s chicken meatballs (pineapple teriyaki - addicting! Courtesy of Costco). Splash of soy, done. It was ok. Kind of austere. But those meatballs!

5 Likes

“That would have cracked Veggo up”

Yes it would have

I was glad we were able to break bread together.

2 Likes

Back home from Tonneins, after 8 hours of different delayed trains and transits. Not very hungry, as we kept eating canelés on the train. I made a quick dinner in 15 minutes.

Bought from a very good charcuterie in Tonneins, pig trotters with prepared with shallots and garlic, ate cold. Heated up the potatoes in the fridge. Forgot to finish the arugula before leaving 6 days ago, was surprised that it was still edible.

Finished with the last 2 canelés.

Yesterday meal, busy with work and didn’t have time for food shopping. But still had a few odd vegetables in the fridge.

Oven grilled cauliflower, onion, garlic and thyme with paprika and parmesan.

Tripe (bought in Tonneins), cooked with garlic, finished with oven to crisp.

16 Likes

Please tell more about the beer, curious!
Love Mapo!

Exactly! Actually, if I don’t eat carbs, I don’t feel fulfilled with the meal.

But mmm, talking about addiction, lately I’m craving for sugar, that sucks!

1 Like

Best wishes! Nice to give a hand when you can.

Hope those in California don’t suffer too much, very bad air, I’ve heard.

Still no result from allergist after 14 days
So, have been on red meat, dairy free food
Went to Costco, TJ and HT yesterday for grocery
Here is a simple late lunch, early dinner

Wild Ahi Tuna ( never frozen so cannot eat it raw as they suggested it be frozen for 3 days to eat it raw, not being sashimi quality ), seared for a few minutes, still red inside, with yuk kosho dressing ( red and white, some lemon juice, mirin and sesame oil), pan fried shishitio peppers in EVOO until the skin blistered with sprinkling of pink hinalayan salt ( now my favorite appetizer) , left over roasted butternut squash in EVOO and garlic
picture does not show the seared tuna well Bec of the dressing added

11 Likes

Sign of a truly tasty dish😂

1 Like

Freezer shopping yielded an unlabeled (:rage:) container that turned out to be cauliflower cheese from just before my trip… reincarnated as cauliflower soup for the current tundra weather :grin:

I had defrosted a piece of salmon that I won’t be able to eat tomorrow because I have to leave for an overnight trip to a funeral, so inspired by @Scubadoo97 here I am trying to cure salmon for the first time :crossed_fingers:t3:

9 Likes

Very appetizing!

I think your reply was for me? If so then yes homemade, used Fuchsia Dunlop’s recipe more or less:

only with pork.

2 Likes

I liked it, it had a peanut and slightly milky taste as advertised. A little bit of bitterness to round it out. Maybe better as a dessert drink though!

1 Like

yes, it was a reply to you, thank you so much for the recipe reference. i would very much like to try it so may be posting my own photo and dinner story one of these days.

2 Likes