What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

I didn’t take a picture of the rest of dinner, but these rolls and loaf were too pretty to not share. I like to have bread in the freezer for quick sandwiches.

Dinner itself was broiled salmon with mustard/brown sugar glaze, sauteed bok choy over lentils.

15 Likes

Chuck, but taste and texture of prime rib. Very interesting.

3 Likes

If I were stranded on a deserted island, and only had bread & butter and potatoes to eat, I wouldn’t be frantic to be rescued.

5 Likes

Same. I just don’t GET people who are carb free but aren’t actually celiac. I don’t have a mixer or bread machine so this loaf did take a little muscle.

2 Likes

I love bread… and rice… and potatoes… and pasta… but I definitely notice the (well-researched by now) “carb addiction” in myself - if I eat some, I want some more… and some more…

I’m not carb-free, but it’s easier to control what I’m eating when I control or watch my carb intake. So I do get folks who restrict carbs - it’s just easier to not plan meals around around carbs most of the time if that’s one’s slippery slope, vs controlling how much one eats of a carby meal.

Not easier planning-wise - that’s actually harder. Easier in terms of reducing personal challenges. Everyone has theirs. I could take or leave sweets,

The celiac / gluten sensitive category is very different, of course.

7 Likes

Now, this is a response that I can understand. My general rule of thumb is if I make it then I eat it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good rule. Doesn’t work for me, sadly. I would make two or three portions of pasta bolognese. Over the course of the evening… it turned into one (delicious but very unhealthy) portion. Now I freeze first if I’m doing something like that.

Like I said, everyone has their own stories. One of the reasons I love reading this thread is that there is so much variance in what is a “normal” meal for different people, for whatever reasons!

6 Likes

Cheese calzone. Marinara on the side, with a drizzle of basil oil.

Blackberry Pear Hazelnut loaf cake, from the book How To Eat a Peach. I admit I was attracted to the title – it didn’t help the recipe was under the chapter October is the Best Month. Cake was sadly not as good as it looks (basically a french yogurt cake). I think this will be my last sweet bake for a while. Need to step away for a bit.

11 Likes

:drooling_face:

We have been discussing trying this. Did you trim the piece? Temp?

Used leftover loin roast in Cubanos with green salad. Hit the spot.

16 Likes

No questions carbs can be addicting. It’s an addiction I endure for the pleasure it gives. We eat less but I can’t give it up. Tonight dinner is leftover non Texas chili and cornbread

3 Likes

Had purchased a new-to-me SV pork belly from Costco. Heated it with some bottled Korean bbq sauce (whole Foods purchase iirc). Stir fried last of the cabbage, an onion and carrots. Served over rice in a very, very big bowl. Hearty and tasty on day 2 of endless chilly grey rain.

I hadn’t realized until I took a bite that the pork belly had smoke. Not the best combo of flavors but it wasn’t strong enough to ruin it. I don’t think I’ll purchase this again. Quality and flavor were fine but I’d prefer no smoked flavor when purchasing this amount which is a lot for a solo cook. It becomes less versatile.

7 Likes

:heart: LOVE :heart: the stretch of cheese between the two halves. :smiley:

2 Likes

Lunch was minestrone, beans and broth from scratch.

14 Likes

Right?!

1 Like

Last night was desk dinner, nothing noteworthy middle eastern delivery salad and some hummus with lackluster pita…
potentially just as pathetic box of TJs lentil soup tonight- the before photo is better than what it looks like in a bowl! I’ll have a honeycrisp with my tea in a bit.
Wish it was a bowl of @ChristinaM ‘s good looking minestrone!

5 Likes

BLT on an English muffin with cucumber salad. Staring down the container of kheer…currently managing a cardamom overload. :yum:

Rooster

4 Likes

Word!

The SV expert wasn’t me, but it was a trimmed, frozen, vacuum sealed piece. 72h at 130 (last time was 60h).

1 Like