What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

The sun was shining.
Another good day for Mom.
She returns to the assisted living facility tomorrow.
Fingers crossed for her.

Patriots sucked today.
What the hell?

Dinner assuaged.
Roast duck breast with cider-ginger glaze.
Israeli couscous.
Sauteed sugar snap peas, carrots, and radishes with Penzeys’ Foxpoint seasoning.

Wine.
Because work grind starts up again tomorrow. :roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Beautifully cooked duck!

3 Likes

This all looks delicious. I enjoy shami kebabs, but haven’t made them. Dal in the Instant Pot? (I confess that mine is still in the box.)

Tonight was swordfish piccata, crispy roasted brussel sprouts and roasted cauliflower, some steamed broccoli for the kiddo who wasn’t feeling like cauliflower tonight, and “scratchy husband” pasta from the NYT recipe collection; also a few Wegman’s mini crab cakes to start. Generally well received by kids and grown ups alike.

7 Likes

I don’t wish the making of shami kababs on anyone :rofl: Now I know why mom always curses the grinder - I went through three appliances before the massive food processor worked to get the paste fine enough.

Dal was quick-soaked in hot water, then cooked in the microwave (PC was in use for round 2 kabab mixture), and finished on the stove. I have resisted getting an IP because I think it would end up like the sous vide circulator (which I desperately wanted but ultimately returned). But… thanksgiving sales are coming, and I may indulge myself…

Maybe my last long citibike ride this year today :cry: . I bundled up with gloves and leg warmers but it was windy- at least it was sunny!
Stocked up on snacks to bring with me to philly and had a quick visit with my favorite one year old who was thrilled by my gift of an empty water bottle- aka she tossed pink stuffed bunny on the floor and played with the bottle instead.

Simple big salad for dinner to minimize leftover produce, the rest of the olives, a cucumber, sunflower seeds, and some jumbo raisins i picked up for snacking yet made a tasty addition to my salad. Big mug of miso with tofu a la carte to help keep me warm

12 Likes

Made a major pot of borsht today . Meat stock based. It was time for this soup. Been way to long . The only thing missing is a piece of Lithuanian black rye . Wine to drink .:wine_glass:Cheers .

14 Likes

Gorgeous!!

1 Like

Send those shamis our way, they’ll be gone in a flash. I appreciate you didn’t coat them in breadcrumbs like some do nowadays, completely ruins it for me. Once a year, we grind shami kabobs by hand, with a mortar and pestle. Fun, fun, fun!

The Vitamix doesn’t work. I just do small batches in the food processor. Once long ago I saw someone chill their beef/dal and then use a meat grinder, but it’s never worked for me. There is a wet/dry food processing appliance I see at the Indian food stores that’s supposed to be ideal, but I’ve never seen those used before, so I’m always hesitant to buy it.

1 Like

Cold here, had friends over for beef stew. This recipe never fails me. Sorry no photos, but it looks like the vid! (We ate by candlelight, drank a fair amount of Les Darons dry red, and licked the bowl clean).
I didn’t have chervil, nor celery leaves. Oh, well. Also used a commercial Demi-glacé, which was too salty.
Used tri-tip, blade-tenderized. 2.5 hour braise. Served over lightly buttered egg noodles cuz fried potatoes would have murdered us. Roasted Brussels sprouts and a simple salad on the side. Greatly regret running out of time to make a fresh batch of apple sauce — would have been perfect. Next time!

13 Likes

I tried with a mini cuisinart which has worked before, but there was too much mixture. The big Magimix worked great (I don’t know if a big cuisinart would have, though). I think I wouldn’t make them at all if it required mortar and pestle (though I know my grandmother made them that way!)

Do you mean the idli/dosa grinders? Or the indian blenders? Those are workhorses - vitamix power at a fraction of the price, and with a variety of jar sizes and blade types.

2 Likes

that duck is perfection. Great mom news, too!

2 Likes

I think the idli/dosa grinders is what I’m talking about. I’ve heard them called mixies.

1 Like

The blenders are mixies (ie mixers) too - or sometimes “kitchen machines”

Dinner was a double scoop of cashew pistachio ice cream loaded with turmeric and cardamom flavor from the Indian market along with sliced mango and raspberries from Costco. Tomorrow I’ll swim it off!

Also started shopping for Thanksgiving dinner so I don’t miss out on selection.

Rooster

9 Likes

Tonight was just a burger and hand cut fries. Sometimes just a burger satisfies as much as a fillet. Should have said most times

5 Likes

Pork two ways tonight. the leftover plain pork belly was turned into Phoenix Claws & Jade Trees’ boiled pork with spicy garlic dressing. PB gets boiled with water/shaoxing wine (I used dry sherry) and fresh ginger. Pork and thinly sliced cukes get drizzled with a blend of Sichuan chili oil (made mine Sunday), sugar, minced garlic, salt, sesame oil & soy sauce. Loved that sauce! A very light, refreshing dish that I can usually eat platesful at our Sichuan place. But my pork slices weren’t very thin as I’d already cut the pork for Saturday’s dinner.

Second way was the Saturday leftover red cooked pork and rice, made into fried rice with scallions and an egg each. Holy crap. Too much pork. Never thought such words would pass my lips.

out to dinner with the BF tomorrow night as I’m leaving Wed. for 5 nights with my sister to go back to NOLA. very excited!

15 Likes

Sous vide beef (72 hour) with caramelized onion and cognac cream sauce, arugula salad, broccolini, and roasted potatoes.

14 Likes

Simple but yet very sophisticated!

2 Likes

Looks tasty. What cut of beef did you use?