What’s for Dinner #39 - Nov. '18 - The Beginning of the Holiday Season!

Welcome, Mah! Glad you have have found us, finally. Most of us are from that wretched site so maybe you do recognise the majority of the users here.

Don’t underestimate how much one can teach another by telling them what they have eaten.

4 Likes

I used dry sherry a week ago and thought the flavor was nicer. The vermouth was good too!

1 Like

Nice to see you here!

My family would eat puff pastry pizza every day if I let them. Or keema patties. Actually, they would even eat plain puff pastry every day. It’s close enough to bakarkhani that it works as a chai snack. I’ll admit it’s a bit heavy for me. One pastry and I’m good for a few days.

3 Likes

Glad to see you here!

We were supposed to have our belated Diwali dinner, but it was postponed again because a different family member was out :joy:

So we had assorted meals. There was fresh margherita pizza for the kids, but I wasn’t feeling it. I had king oyster mushrooms with tare sauce (yakitori style but on cast iron pan instead) over rice.

I also made shami kababs (beef/chana dal) earlier in the day (family favorite… though not mine), made a second vegetarian round upon request (first try at those), and then speed cooked dal and baked off the bread I started in the morning to round out that meal (salad was the veg).

12 Likes

Still at the in laws. A few Pied-Noir cold cuts and grilled sausages, Spanish inspired I believed.

Boudin (French blood sausage) on top, left below Blanquicos (pork with cinnamon and anise sausages), slightly hot Longanisses (orange ones)

Boutifare Galabard (blood sausage, the big one behind) with the uncooked Blanquicos

Tomato olives salad

And red Bourgogne :wine_glass:!

11 Likes

Ha, this is still on my wish to do list. Will try to find time to make that after going home next week.

They looked so good!

No way to let this feast stop!! Lovely meal.

1 Like

Creamy smoked chicken ww rotini with bacon, peas, Parm Regg, and acorn squash. Leftover cuke salad and yellow squash.

9 Likes

Crab cake and simple arugula salad for dinner

13 Likes

Mom had a very good day. :heart:
Then some retail therapy with my sister.
Then my happy place, Wegmans.

Dinner was Wegmans’ local-caught seared sea scallops with a lemon-wine sauce and lemon zest and minced thyme sprinkled on top, basmati rice and asparagus.

Wine.

It was a good day. :heart:

17 Likes

Welcome back, @MAH. Always glad to have more join at the WFD community table.

4 Likes

That sounds freaking AMAZING, i adore those mushrooms!

1 Like

I was craving all of the green things today, yet can’t buy too much fresh produce since i have this weird back and forth schedule now. Settled on a half a cabbage and made a bit of slaw with vinegrette and some red bell pepper, generous amount of black pepper, grated part of a sad carrot and a few thin slices of zucchini. Let it sit in the fridge a while to get more tender. A few random olives on top.

Also had some zucchini i just quickly blanched and topped with crazy salt, totally boring and yet exactly what i wanted.
Had a few meatless balls while cooking the zucchini and kombucha a la carte

10 Likes

gracias!

that’s a perfect dinner.

1 Like

omg those sausages are dreamy!

1 Like

Recipe from Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees tonight - Red Cooked Pork. I was generously gifted this book and this is my first foray into it - I chose one of the less involved recipes - lusciously fatty pork belly braised in a delicious soy/sugar/star anise broth. Jasmine rice, smashed cukes (a fave around here), and some long bok choy I sauteed with a little sesame oil, ponzu and oyster sauce (meh).

i have more pork belly i only boiled so that’ll make an appearance in different form soon.

But i did it! I stopped cooking Mexican for a day!

12 Likes

delicious, interesting post and subbed to your blog post. a very productive use of my time. thanks, maria

1 Like