What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

Been very low on energy this cycle and pictures were not taken.

Three nights ago we grilled up a marinaded flank steak served with pico de gallo [all local ingredients with the exception of the lime] and some cuban style black beans. This same meal reappeared the next night and the leftover beans were refried with some onions and pork fat.

Last night I fried up some chicken thighs and wings. Served this with some buttermilk biscuits and a cherry tomato salad. The chicken reappeared tonight only accompanied by basmati rice. I was too tired from prepping for tomorrow’s family dinner to make anything else.

4 Likes

Went to a grand opening of a new location of an antique store I had liked in its original location, then took freezer food to Mom, along with picking up some sandwiches for lunch from Joppa Fine Foods in Newburyport.

Mom loves me best. :smiley:

Dinner was steak tips marinated in a combo of olive oil, teriyaki sauce, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, minced garlic, minced rosemary, salt, pepper. Grilled on my grill pan; finished in the oven.

Baked tater loaded with butter, salt, pepper and sour cream, and a small salad with lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, goat cheese, croutons, and a lemon-mustard-parsley vinaigrette. Wine.

There will be figs with goat cheese and peppered honey for dessert.

Gratuitous pic of the Finnegan Cat, who is just completely unable to relax.

15 Likes

Spent the day trying to get our basement under control - we moved in exactly a year ago, and the basement is STILL full of boxes and bubble wrap. Made a good dent and celebrated our accomplishments with a grilled flap steak (rare) served with a tangy mustard-mayo sauce, sauteed broccoli with parmesan and black pepper, and a lovely Austrian rosé. It’s getting on the end of rosé season so I am enjoying it while I can. Now contemplating some dark chocolate for dessert.

5 Likes

I had cooked a batch of french lentils (the little dark green ones) on thursday night so that i could make these lentil walnut gyros last night- only i couldn’t find the kind of pocket bread i like so i went with the chubby handmade corn tortillas instead and made a tostada style pile ontop it. I skipped the jalapeno, used cilantro instead of parsley and a mix of arugala and spinach.
This was so good! The stovetop prep of the lentil walnut mix was really quick and easy, I’ll repeat for sure.

I bottled my kombucha today! Flavored a few with chai teabags and ginger, the rest with ginger lemon. Should be done in a few days! Hoping all goes well.

There was a very unpleasant dentist appointment today so i went with a big thick smoothie although chewing should be fine tomorrow, just nothing too sharp or hard.
Smoothie was lots of frozen blueberries, a handful of oats, a big gob of almond butter, fresh spinach , ice and almond milk. One of my favorite combos, and very thick so eaten with a spoon. There’s some chocolate coconut milk ice cream waiting for dessert

8 Likes

@Ttrockwood. Do you toast the oats or use them raw?

Boo!

Have been eating what’s left in the fridge. This is my last dinner.

There are variations all over Asia but what makes this “Vietnamese” is the use of coconut water/juice. All these rich braised dishes are most often served with “Vietnamese Sauerkraut”, pickled mustard greens.

This is a big cut of beef, something from the rib, the inside of which is actually rib-eye. Can’t even find a translation anywhere. It needs slow braising to bring out its taste and texture. I cooked it SV. When the braising liquid and other things in it were ready I added the beef chunks and get them to warm thoroughly.

3 Likes

I love flap meat! Glad I’m not the only one still with unpacked boxes over a year after moving.

I let Costco do most of the work for me last night. Precooked pulled pork salad with pickled onions, BBQ mustard mayo dressing.

I think I will give it a try, for a while I am trying to find different ways to cook lentils.

I don’t have za’atar at home, what is best way to substitute the spice?

1 Like

Sounds wonderful!

@naf, if you have ground sumac, you can make your own za’atar with minced fresh thyme, ground sumac, toasted sesame seeds, and salt. If you don’t have ground sumac, a lemon-pepper seasoning mix (dried lemon zest and cracked black pepper) will do in a pinch, or mix the fresh lemon zest with the salt, and blend with fresh thyme, sesame seeds, and some coarsely ground black pepper.

4 Likes

For the smoothie i use the quick cooking kind and just add them raw, gives some heft to the smoothie so it keeps me full longer. My blender isn’t the best so i blitz them with the liquid and nut butter first then add other stuff.

2 Likes

Agree with Lindawhit- or you could easily just swap around the spices used all together, i think some smoked paprika and lots of black pepper would work great here too.

2 Likes

Za’atar the herb is actually a wild oregano that grows in the Middle East (Syria & Lebanon). It’s next to impossible to find here.

Za’atar the spice mix can be approximated with dried mint, oregano, thyme, cumin and sesame seeds. Red Za’atar, which is common in Lebanese cooking, further contains dried sumac (hence red).

Sumac is a dried sour berry that is ground. You can approximate it with dried cranberry, lemon zest, or pomegranate, tangerine zest, or a combination of these to add a slightly sour note. Sumac is also common in the region including Turkish cooking.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Go Pack Go !!! Schwäbisches Sonntagsessle.

Schweinebraten, Handgeschabter Spätzle, Söße, Blau Kraut, Haricots Vertes, Tomaten Salat.

Das Spätzle Bret und der Schaber

3 Likes

I fired up the rotisserie oven and had a late lunch of rotisserie chicken blt wraps. I wasn’t too hungry for dinner which worked out well as a friend dropped by with a few jars of fresh cream which made for the perfect pair with the berries in the fridge.

4 Likes

I have chicken braising in a balsamic vinegar sauce with mushrooms. Will be serving it over some mashed red potatoes. I will probably serve this with a green salad.

Fall has definitely brought out the cool weather recipes. This past week I made tourtiere, chili and sausage stuffed peppers. I think Cottage pie with sweet potato topping is on the agenda for this week.

6 Likes

A large chickie-boobie was marinated in a combination of olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, minced fresh rosemary, salt, Aleppo pepper, and honey, all shaken up in a jar to emulsify before pouring over said chickie-boobie to marinate in the fridge while I watched the Patriots stomp the Saints.

I pan-seared the chicken, then it went into the oven in a baking dish to finish cooking. White wine was added to the sauté pan to get up the tasty bits, then added the marinade to simmer. I poured half over the chicken cooking in the oven halfway through, reserving the rest for a “sauce”.

Basmati rice was cooked; green beans were steamed and tossed with butter and sprinkled with a good friend’s Salter’s Point Provisions Cape Ann Sea Salt. (Link below)

Yes, there was wine. :slight_smile: And there will be Outlander, S3:E2 on the screen in just a few minutes.
And gratuitous pictures of visitors to our condo’s lawn this morning. A video was also taken of the fawn gamboling all over the yard as well. I <3 when they show up. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Dinner was D’artagnan’s duck breast, seared with left over cauliflower rice and garbanzo with spinach.
The Digital thermometer showed 130 degrees but the skin looks burnt
Served Duck with dip ( soy sauce, garlic, red pepper and cider vinegar )
Wine was pinot noir
Tasted good.

9 Likes

The duck looks amazing but I’m a sucker for the garbanzos and spinich