What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

Did a little shopping in advance of Irma. No water, no bread, except hotdog and burger buns. They were down to 4 snack bars

Sigh. Not freaking out about the water. I have several Cambros of different sizes that I’ll fill with drinking water. Can fill the tub with water for cooking and have 35,000 gals in my pool to flush toilets. Most likely we won’t have a need for any of that

Picked up some veggies. White corn 10 for $3.00, string beans and zucchini squash and lettuce. Figured I needed to hit the freezer for a protein and hope we don’t lose power for too long. To many good things in there. Replenished my propane tanks for the grill just in case, although my stove is propane as well

Pulled a couple chicken breasts from the freezer and seared in cast iron with guajillo pepper and s&p. Made a medley of white corn, string beans, orange and green peppers

8 Likes

Sending you my best, hoping the hurricane has weakened by the time it gets close to you!

2 Likes

Be safe!

1 Like

I definitely had my leftover kimchi radish salad last night, i might like it even better with nappa cabbage for the extra crunch factor. Added in some edamame and sunflower seeds.
Worked late tonight, there was a lot of awesome no cheese mushroom pizza (really thin crust, coal oven) leftover from a huge lunch delivery (from our epic neverending meeting today) so i had a slice with one of the untouched mini green salads they put into little plastic soup containers with a bit of mystery vinegrette. Good enough.
Once home i had a glass of wine to dampen my post vacation stress syndrome and had a gob of mom’s homemade apricot pineapple jam (apricots from her best friend’s tree!) on plain greek yogurt. In a flash of genius i dribbled some of my drippy almond butter on it.

Yes, my life is exactly as glamorous as it sounds on paper.

Ps
If you’re in the wasteland of midtown west and hungry they only do the pizza at lunch and it’s awesome

2 Likes

Best wishes that things aren’t too bad

1 Like

Kenji’s recipes are usually a guaranteed win. I’m curious why he prefers sweet potato starch. I assume there’s a food lab article I can read.

His recipe uses flour, I use sweet potato starch, the fine version. I am sorry I did not explain that. When I first made this recipe a couple month ago, I explained I used SPS instead of flour as I feel it is a superior product for frying thickening etc

. That is what I grew up with and I am aware some Chinese recipe calls for that and the chefs do state that you can substitute but the texture and taste is different. I did send Kenji an email early this year (in March ?) asking him to comment on that in the Q and A forum but he never answered.

When I arrived in this country, for convenience, I used cornstarch or flour as recipe calls for except in certain recipe i.e. OH Chien . When my husband was diagnosed with gluten enteropathy, I decided to switch to SPS exclusively for frying, thickening and found it a superior product although it is slightly more expensive and difficult to obtain. I buy 10 -1 pound bag at at time , storing them.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation. I don’t use flour so perhaps this could be an alternative option for me.

i do use flour for baking but for making berry crumbles, I use SPS as thickening agent so the berries will not run all over. i use it for making dim sum, shanghai lion’s head meatball (the last time it was cooked by someone on Hungry Onion, the complaint is that the meatball broke up. i use SPS as a binder, meatball stays intact with no taste of the binding agent. ) I use it to fry with, i find less residue after frying in the oil unlike cornstarch.

2 Likes

Lasagna with deli turkey “noodles”

4 Likes

Made a stew with a few chicken thighs, peppers, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Used chicken stock and and diced tomatoes to braise the chicken in before deboning the thighs. Hearty and made a good companion for garlic and olive loafs. Sopping up the liquid with the bread was the apex of the dish

5 Likes

Very yummy, the stew!
Sorry about the menace, hope nothing too bad will happen. Keep safe.

Here were the last meals.

The last melon this summer probably, with balsamic vinegar cream and some Parma ham.

Thai sauguages with lemongrass, not bad, pretty sweet actually the taste.

Blood sausage with tomatoes, grenadine seeds, minced garlic, spring red onion, red pepper, red pepper flakes, balsamic and xérès vinegar, all spices, evoo and salt, very good.

Orzo with cream, parmesan, cherries tomatoes, dry egg toe powder and smoke eel, so good!!

Cleaning fridge meal, bell peppers prepared in oven for an hour, sardines and chili pepper, and pasta, not bad at all.

7 Likes

This lasagna looks interesting. It never occurred to me to use sliced meat instead of pasta. Is your recipe similar to this one?

2 Likes

Pretty much, my approach was based on this recipe I found a few years ago

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/lasagna_with_ham_pasta.html

2 Likes

I’m thinking I might use some kind of Italian sliced meat (mortadella, etc.) for the “pasta” for more “Italian” taste. Also my husband is insisting on chopped spinach which I always used for my regular lasagna!

BLTs last night, first time this year. Fab farmers’ market uncured bacon, heirloom tomatoes, romaine lettuce. Duke’s mayo, Milton’s buttermilk bread toasted. SO GOOD. we shoulda been eating these every week through summer.

off for a weekend away with friends in Bodega Bay - lots of cooking will happen, and oysters! Enjoy yours, and be safe if you’re in Mother Nature’s way!

14 Likes

I’ve used Italian cured meats as well as turkey with a Mexican lasagna spin, it’s very versatile

Having the same for dinner here tonight … minus the west coast produce and bread :frowning:

lol found this :slight_smile: thought you would appreciate !!! “inside joke”

5 Likes

Thinly sliced extra firm tofu or tofu skins work really well in LC lasagna as well. They absorb the flavor of the sauce beautifully.

1 Like

Homemade Chili Colorado (aka Texas Red), zucchini from farm stand down the road in EVO and butter, rice cooked in chikn broth.

4 Likes