What’s for Dinner #25 - 09/2017 - the Autumnal Edition

Ribs Redux (had them at a big stepfamily gathering yesterday In Ipswich). But since I had already taken them out to be made today, I had to cook 'em! I used Trader Joe’s Brown Sugar BBQ sauce at the tail end of cooking (in the oven).

Sides were tomato-cuke-feta pasta salad, red cabbage & carrot coleslaw, and deviled eggs. And wine. And t’was good.

For those in the path of Hurricane Irma, please stay safe!

9 Likes

I love chicken wings, and I love mac and cheese. Making it with cauliflower instead of pasta (I’m assuming that’s why you call it “mac”) sounds really good. What recipe do you use? There are lots out there, but thought I’d ask first. Thanks!

We live north of San Francisco, and our weather has been hellishly hot. It’s finally cooled off, and I’m interested in food again. Tonight we’re grilling flank steak that’s been marinating in teriyaki sauce along with a bag of Taylor Farms Asian salad. Not fascinating, but tasty.

2 Likes

Home made pizza.

7 Likes

I don’t really have a recipe, I just make a cheese sauce or on particularly lazy days buy a cheese sauce and add some really sharp cheddar and dried mustard to dress it up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks - sounds perfect!

Last night’s chicken breast was totally ignored by all who were present. We decided to have a Souther-Ladies-who-Lunch kind of dinner. Chicken salad over lettuce with carrots, garden tomatoes and cucumber. Some focaccia from the magic freezer. About time to make some more.

Mr. SMT said it was delicious, but I just couldn’t eat tonight. I will try it for lunch tomorrow.

4 Likes

That zucchini tomato dish looks fantastic…,! And very clever to buy so much corn now while it’s good, that will be such a treat in a few months.
ETA: i hope you are feeling better by morning, something about too much hot weather can really affect the appetite and overall sense of well being

2 Likes

I am in denial about the fact summer is basically over and aside from my waaaaay overdue vacation last week i haven’t done enough to try and enjoy it!
So i gasped at straws and made some potato salad yesterday, i like the red potatoes with skin and used a heavy hand with the mustard

Somehow it just wasn’t what i wanted so i ate like four bites and just made a big salad for dinner last night. Kombucha a la carte.
My very very pregnant friend was enthusiastic about the potato salad when i brought it to her this afternoon though.
I went to buy more kimchi today and next thing you know i’m making that sesame radish kimchi salad again!! I added in some cubed smoked tofu and used nappa cabbage. Totally embarrassing how frequently i make this but my obsession has yet to fade. I figure once it’s cold this won’t be appealing anymore. Maybe i’ll move on to kimchi soondubu!
I had kombucha a la carte, and then stared my own first batch making kombucha ! So we will see how that goes, it’s just on top of my fridge in a BIG jar doing its thing for a while.

7 Likes

I used to use a ceramic crock with a tap designed for dispensing from water bottles. The tap made it easy to remove the liquid without disturbing the mother. Prices are all over the place but if you look should be able to source for 30ish.

Dinner was inspired by Emeril’s one pot chicken dish over cheesy rice but I substituted cauliflower for rice and skipped the cheese

For dessert, a matcha coconut butter dark chocolate cup

1 Like

Yes my biiiig jar has a spigot on it so it will be easier to fill my bottles. Now i just gotta wait …! I think it was $25 off amazon

1 Like

those shrimp look so succulent!

1 Like

On a weekend of 100+ temps (highly unusual for these parts), we decided to bbq over the weekend, but our parents’ old gas grill wouldn’t light on Labor Day, so on the official last day of summer i went out and got an on-sale Stok charcoal grill for my sister’s place, and we grilled rib eyes, rock lobster tails with melted butter, and corn on the cob. Three of us only made a dent in one steak, both tails, all 3 corns, a bit of baby kale salad, and a slice each of the apple brown betty our friend brought over. Fortunately it had cooled to the high 80s by then.

luckily for us in SF, our summer weather has really just begun, so i anticipate future grilling days.

leftover steak will be tacos tonight at home.

9 Likes

BLT with home grown tomatoes, green beans with feta & olives, and tater tits:

8 Likes

Today, is another party day celebrating labor’s day.
We had over 20 guests ( one is manager of several restaurants in DC and Va, one owns a restaurant in DC)
Party started at 2:00PM with 2 DJ’s ( my son was one of them, he was the DJ for Ibiza for a few years). Music was non stop. There was fireworks at dusk
We provided 2 -5 gallon fresh oysters( from our dock), 70 crabs ), fresh corn, smoked pork butt saved from from Thursday’s party.
Guests brought pate, crackers, chips NY strip, shrimp, cheese platter, double fried chicken , bratwurst, German potato salad, watermelon, fresh corn, pineapple and fresh berries. They also provided desserts ( brownies, mini french pastries, fruit tart, chocolate chip cookies )
There was red wine, prosecco , lots of beer ( everybody brought their own per request), Irish cream to spike their cappuccino.
One guest brought a drone , took pictures of our property.
The party ended after midnight with one guest sleeping over.
I managed to take pictures of one of the containers of oysters and crabs but not the food brought over as they were scattered all over our kitchen and outdoor tables

11 Likes

tonights dinner was spaghetti with shrimp, pesto
Cooked patagonia shrimp with one head of finely chopped garlic in EVOO, a tin of anchovy in olive oil , and chipotle adobo sauce
The pasta was barilla protein plus thin spaghetti cooked for 4 minutes, drained then added EVOO, to toast the pasta, and shrimp stock to cook it further till pasta was al dente and the stock absorbed . ( shrimp shells was roasted in the oven for 15min, then water and spices added to make stock)
Dessert was a surprise find in refrigerator from party last night brought by guests but not discovered as there were lots of dessert ( a fruit tart with fresh figs that was delicious )
Cabernet Sauvignon
No picture taken as my son had grated lots of reggiano parmegiano all over the pasta and it would not have looked nice on picture but it was really tasty!

3 Likes

Wow that sounds like a really amazing party…! You must be totally exhausted…

Our dinner tonight was the last of the grilled chicken, some steamed late-summer green beans, and mashed potatoes with garlic made in the new mini Instant Pot. Following chemo today, I have no taste buds, but I am told that it was all good. There were tons of leftover potato. Maybe I can taste them tomorrow.

11 Likes

Rigatoni with broccoli and sausage. Pretty straight forward dish, but made extra delicious by adding whipped ricotta ( fresh ricotta, salt, pepper, and evoo blitzed in the food processor until smooth and creamy) and some pasta water for a nice sauce. Pic is from the magazine recipe since we ate too fast for pics.

5 Likes

It was indeed an amazing party.
Although my son dabbled as a DJ when he was making movies for his web site " dance tripping.tv", I have never heard him play as a DJ. This is sort of a party he held in Europe. If you ever visit that website, people dance at the beach or wherever they are playing. He wanted it to be that sort of a party. I had one guest came all the way from NC.
I was exhausted from a party held 4 days earlier ( I cooked ) but for this party, I only made a ton of asparagus which I cooked on the oven for 8 min per tray with EVOO, S?P, garlic powder and topped with Reggiano. We only provided the oysters, crabs, the smoked pulled pork some wine and bubbly. Guests were requested to bring their own beer, aside dish or a dessert.
I just woke up, found a tub of cucumber dill salad in the fridge as guest just came and brought food, stuck in in the different fridge here in the ho use.
The only thing missing were the boats. ( the small boat is in Solomon’s Island where my son sometimes goes to fish, the skull was lifted away by a hurricane last year, and the Cigarette is in the shop)

2 Likes