What is your favorite roasted chicken recipe or method?

Langer’s gets their rye bread from Fred’s Bakery in LA

1 Like

But they won’t send you a loaf. But Langer’s will (with 2lbs of their awesome pastrami).

I have one!! I literally cannot remember the last time I used it. But it’s apparent from looking at it that I did …

I wasn’t an avid cook when I had one. I think I decided it was too big, fragile and rarely used to keep.

Maybe $10 at Goodwill would be well spent.

1 Like

I’m looking at the prices for new ones! I know mine was extraordinarily cheap. Yes, they’re fragile, which is why it was OK … when they were cheap. Mine isn’t huge, either.

I seem to recall that mine was completely unglazed.

I still have one, haven’t used in many years. I used to roast chicken pieces in soy sauce and garlic.

1 Like

This was a win. Wet brine, including buttermilk for 4 hours. Air dry for another 4. Stuffed with 3-herb bouquet. Did the side-side-back in the Weber at 325F. Basted with roast garlic butter. Very moist.
Flaw: bird had been frozen too long.

This prep is like a rotisserie without the spit.

7 Likes

There’s mine in the cabinet, surrounded by paper and palm-leaf plates, udon noodles, a container of demarara sugar cubes, an extra squeeze bottle, a bottle of Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce that’s probably past date, and a package of Frontier freeze dried onions. Pandemic!!

I don’t think mine is glazed. I’d have to extract it, but IIRC it has ridges in the bottom.

2 Likes

I have had one as long as I can remember, and don’t remember ever using it. It is wrapped in tissue paper, maybe from my last move 25 years ago. Every time I think about letting it go, I convince myself that it doesn’t take up that much room, and maybe it’s good for something besides chicken…

4 Likes

Exactly. I’m wondering about brisket …

1 Like

This is from @Phoenikia 's Food and Wine Link

images

3 Likes

Jackie will be my sous chef.

2 Likes

I used mine WAY back when I first got it. It was good, but I never got crispy skin from it, since it’s a moist heat cook method.

I finally donated it to Goodwill, probably back in the 1990s before one of my apartment moves.

2 Likes

Baking bread…

1 Like

Wow! I am not a baker nor eater of bread, but those pictures are inspiring!

I’ve always wanted to try baking bread in a Romertopf, but not enough to warrant buying one or figuring out where to store it. Curiosity, mostly…

Given the level of interest in this cooking vessel & its various applications, might it make sense to split it off into a separate thread about the magic of cooking with a Römertopf?

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking with the “away we go” reference. I linked some relevant threads but they weren’t that specific.

Actually I was mostly thinking, “here I go, down another rabbit hole”.

2 Likes

My favorite method is letting someone else do it. :wink:

2 Likes