Clay Cookware

The discussion about enameled cast iron got me thinking about my pots and pans. I am promiscuous where cookware material is concerned. I have enameled cast iron, non-enameled cast iron, stainless steel, aluminum, clay and nonstick pots and pans.

My favorite is my Piral coated earthenware pot. It’s about three quarts. I use it for soups, pasta sauce, etc. Where it really shines is cooking dried legumes. The texture comes out nice and creamy.

Is anyone else here a fan of earthenware pots and pans?

For the record, my clay pot and the ability to char vegetables on the burners (hobs to you Brits) are why I will never switch from gas to induction.

https://terraallegra.com/

1 Like

I am. I posted a donabe cookware thread.

Like you, I have more than just one type of cookware. Bare cast iron, enameled cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel clad, pure aluminum, clay. I actually no longer has nonstick cookware anymore.

2 Likes

I’ve had a sick love of French and Italian terra cotta ware for years. As a flea market junkie, I’ve had trouble saying “no” to any decently priced piece in fine condition. I’ve found it my duty to provide a home for these wonderful pieces that display the hand-of-the-maker. LIke these…
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.49.02 PM
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 4.49.25 PM

3 Likes

I too own several donabe, romertopf, and a terra cotta Dutch oven from Iberia. Part of the attraction was the hand made craftsmanship. However, I now think there is no actual advantage when compared to any other cocotte in terms of taste or temperature control. I don’t think the results, if plated side by side in equivalent serve ware, would be distinguishable. Rather, the only advantage is the aesthetics of the clay cookware. The only clay cookware I use any more is my Yunnan chicken soup steamer mainly for its shape. The rest might be hocus pocus.

@pilgrim i may be demonstrating ignorance here, but I’m curious about whether there are lead concerns with buying these from flea markets / second hand stores?

The need to soak always trips me up on timeline… I never think of it far enough in advance!

Mine only needed to be soaked once overnight before I used it the first time.

1 Like

Indeed, you have the same lead risk if you buy these stamped, branded pieces in a shop. Much more a beloved collection than set of cookware, I never use them for acidic foods.

But your point is well taken. To shop in flea markets or second hand stores or estate sales, you should be aware of such dangers plus be able to recognize stuff of value. Reidel glasses at 4/$1, Rosenthal, Luneville, Pillivuyt and friends’ china, All-Clad for pennies on the dollar…

I have earned the sobriquet “Second Hand Rose”.

Sorry — I was actually asking for the perspective of someone who would like to buy in these formats, to educate myself.

I wasn’t trying to be snarky. I apologize. To rephrase, to shop these venues, you need to be aware that someone has discarded an item for a reason, Too big/small, change of lifestyle, it was a despised gift OR it has a problem. So you shop with hope but also a degree of skepticism. You need to know about the product you are contemplating buying, its original cost, its reputation, to recognize high-end or special antique examples.

We have been frequenting estate sales and flea markets for decades. If you have access in your community, give one a try as a treasure hunt and museum rolled into one. Do not buy unless you thoroughly inspect an item. Have fun.

It appears that lead testing kits are inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=lead+testing+kit+for+dishes&adgrpid=55525653745&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI28ndgNHw9gIVJA_nCh2XFgLhEAAYASAAEgIUS_D_BwE&hvadid=274713903092&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9061109&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=5102948095369338008&hvtargid=kwd-299506353083&hydadcr=13963_9748986&tag=hydsma-20&ref=pd_sl_9nn1z1xova_b

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Romertopf Clay Baker and other Clay cookware

Yes, and maybe the sense of tradition that goes with.

Thought I will share the Yunnan steam pot (inspired by the conversation with @alarash and others)
My setup

Making a pork bone soup. Traditionally, chicken soup is much more popular with this cookware
Starting with a pot with pork and pork bones (no water)

30 mins-90 min.

5-6 hours

8-9 hours. The broth is clear, and yet the taste and smell is intense.

I put a black box as a background to highlight the jet of steam

7 Likes

I do the same thing with a couple of chicken thighs and legs, but I put them in raw. Is your pork already cooked, or maybe blanched to get some of the impurities out? Looks delicious. I think I have the exact same pot.

1 Like

Yes, they are blanched to get some of the blood and so called impurities out. I will do chicken next time. How long is your cooking time in this pot?

1 Like

Very cool! Did you taste the broth, or is this to be used for cooking in another dish? I do this with chicken but in an electric double boiler set up that I have. I’m surprised you got that much liquid out of so much bone in those cuts of pork. Is this the standard for how to use this clay pot - you put this above another pot of boiling liquid?

Hi Kokuta. Yes, I have tasted the broth. It was good. I still have some in the refrigerator, so I better finish it. Most of the liquid is really from the water condensation. I posted in a different thread. The steam comes through the small hole in the middle and condense as water back down to the pot.

Yes, one put this Hunnan steam pot on top of another pot. It acts as a hybrid between a double boiler and also a steamer. It allows the foods to be heated at ~ boiling water temperature (100oC). It initially acts more like a steamer because the foods are initially cooked without water, only steam. As times go on, more and more water condenses inside the pot, so then it switches more like a double boiler.

Another unique function (which I have not taken advantage) is to add the seasoning/spice on the bottom pot. It allows a certain flavor of spice to come through with the steam, but not directly cooked with the foods. It supposes to have a more selective profile.

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not going to pretend I can speak highly scientifically about the double boil method, but the value in that route (often touted by the old Asian ladies!) is that it’s pure essence, has all the nutrients of the chicken/protein, it’s unadulterated, blah blah blah. On the surface, it’s sealed or more sealed so it would seem to make sense. I wonder taste wise if the resulting broth is truly more intense than using your steam pot.

Ah, you are referring to the double boiler chicken essence where one does not add water – it produces a dark liquid. Obviously, the chicken essence is more intense because no water is added.

I speculate that another reason for this Yunnan steam pot was invented is to cook with distilled water.

By the way, you can stack multiple of these just like stacking bamboo steamers.

2 Likes