What is your favorite roasted chicken recipe or method?

I still have one, haven’t used in many years. I used to roast chicken pieces in soy sauce and garlic.

1 Like

This was a win. Wet brine, including buttermilk for 4 hours. Air dry for another 4. Stuffed with 3-herb bouquet. Did the side-side-back in the Weber at 325F. Basted with roast garlic butter. Very moist.
Flaw: bird had been frozen too long.

This prep is like a rotisserie without the spit.

7 Likes

There’s mine in the cabinet, surrounded by paper and palm-leaf plates, udon noodles, a container of demarara sugar cubes, an extra squeeze bottle, a bottle of Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce that’s probably past date, and a package of Frontier freeze dried onions. Pandemic!!

I don’t think mine is glazed. I’d have to extract it, but IIRC it has ridges in the bottom.

2 Likes

I have had one as long as I can remember, and don’t remember ever using it. It is wrapped in tissue paper, maybe from my last move 25 years ago. Every time I think about letting it go, I convince myself that it doesn’t take up that much room, and maybe it’s good for something besides chicken…

4 Likes

Exactly. I’m wondering about brisket …

1 Like

This is from @Phoenikia 's Food and Wine Link

images

3 Likes

Jackie will be my sous chef.

2 Likes

I used mine WAY back when I first got it. It was good, but I never got crispy skin from it, since it’s a moist heat cook method.

I finally donated it to Goodwill, probably back in the 1990s before one of my apartment moves.

2 Likes

Baking bread…

1 Like

Wow! I am not a baker nor eater of bread, but those pictures are inspiring!

I’ve always wanted to try baking bread in a Romertopf, but not enough to warrant buying one or figuring out where to store it. Curiosity, mostly…

Given the level of interest in this cooking vessel & its various applications, might it make sense to split it off into a separate thread about the magic of cooking with a Römertopf?

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking with the “away we go” reference. I linked some relevant threads but they weren’t that specific.

Actually I was mostly thinking, “here I go, down another rabbit hole”.

2 Likes

My favorite method is letting someone else do it. :wink:

2 Likes

I like to get a Bell and Evans spatchcocked chicken. I generously salt it and I also sprinkle on Penzeys Greek seasoning all over. Try to let it sit for a while. In the meantime, I slice onions, shallots, carrots, garlic, even celery if I have it into a baking dish. I have already preheated the oven to 450. The chicken gets roasted this way for about 20 minutes then oven is turned to 375. When the chicken is crispy and browned I will have a little with chopped roasted cabbage and roasted butternut squash. This then all goes into the refrigerator and the next day, I saute a mirepoix and take the entire chicken with bones, all the coagulated juices, the onions and the cabbage and the butternut all goes into a dutch oven with chicken broth and fresh thyme and into a low oven of 300. This cooks for a few hours. The flavor and broth are outstanding. I freeze it in containers and will add chickpeas later. Great great winter soup.

2 Likes

Aubergine, I read the article you posted about Two Lemon Chicken then saw it won the competition in NJChicaa’s article, so I gave it a try.
Bought the smallest roasting chicken I could find, 4.8 pounds! Wow, it looked like a mini-turkey! When did chickens get so big?!
All I did was remove the gizzard/neck/heart, wash the chicken, let it dry and then gave it a dry rub of salt, pepper and a touch of Italian Herb mix I have. I half peeled the shiny part of the two lemons off and pierced them 20 or so times with the chicken stabby things you use to close off the back end of the bird, then I used said stabby things to pin the aft opening of the bird closed with the two lemons inside. Then I put the bird, breast down, in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 30 minutes, flipped the bird, checked it after another 30 minutes, turned the heat up to 410 and it was ready to go in 35 more minutes.
Crispy, very tasty, firm juicy flesh with just a hint of lemon and Italian Herb. Very nice bird!
I give the Two Lemons Chicken recipe a resounding Two Thumbs Up! It is good and simple, which is a nice combo.

As you can see, i had already taste tested the far leg on the chicken before i remembered to take the “after” photo.

11 Likes

I just quarter a lemon, place inside cavity. I no longer tie the legs together.

So simple, glad you tried and liked it. Cold leftovers are surprisingly good.

2 Likes

That bird is a thing of beauty. I usually “taste test” the crispy parts of both wings…

4 Likes

I always taste test as much crispy skin as I can get away with …

5 Likes

Next time I may try dry rubbing the bird while it is still wet from the washing instead of waiting for it to completely dry. I really liked the flavor of the skin from the top of the breast the best but the sides were only ok. The spice mix just did not stick very well to the dry sides, maybe if they were still damp…
And I may use a bit less of the Italian Herb mix. It is really good but I overdid it.
And I like the Aubergine’s idea of quartering a lemon instead of piercing it. I will try that too.
I would like to try cooking it with stuffing inside but I usually botch that so I will just do the stuffing in a pan, above or below the bird for 20 minutes.
I have a box of Aleias Stuffing that I almost used but figured it was just one too many variables for a first try at the Two Lemon recipe. I have not tried it and I am curious to see how it turns out. I like to use the gizzard, liver and the heart (minced up) in the stuffing so I do not waste much.