"What does the inside of your refrigerator say about you?"

Will do.

The leap year weekend was like an extended Friday the thirteenth. My fridge started out with its usual clutter of nuts, carrots, onions, cheese, and condiments, the freezer 3/4 full of UFO’s and fish. I’ve been largely housebound, with plenty of nonperishables, and a medical procedure yesterday that is likely to keep me indoors for up to several weeks. So on Saturday, I ordered some meats, dairy, and produce from Amazon’s Whole Foods delivery. With a lower minimum order and same-day free delivery, it was a better option than Peapod, which though not as expensive, requires ordering more and waiting a few days.

An email announced that my order was left at my door just before 5pm but since a different Amazon delivery hadn’t yet arrived, I didn’t go downstairs till three hours later, when THAT box came. No groceries anywhere. I called Amazon the next morning, as there was no response to my evening email. The helpful lady at the call center processed a replacement order, which came two hours later. When I went down to fetch it inside, my stoop was crowded with bags and I quickly discerned that the original order had arrived as well. When, and where it was overnight, remains a mystery. The bananas had frozen and were thawing, so I’ve assumed the meat is safe. The problem is that I now had 7+ lbs of chicken thighs, 3+ lbs of pork, two jumbo bunches of romaine, and various other perishables to find room for. Thankfully, I had frozen gelpacks and a cooler. Repackaging the meats and a challenging game of Freezer Jenga were surprisingly successful. The lettuces and two large clamshells of strawberries are living in the cooler. The wild rabbits in my yard will be getting an early taste of spring. But no way I can get through four enormous cucumbers before they rot. One neighbor is away and the other doesn’t eat healthfully. Besides, I can’t get down the inside stairs to the front door. Good news is that the surgery went smoothly and that so far, I am in less pain than I was led to expect.

I suppose I’ll never know how the screwup happened or how the bags made it here belatedly. Anyone else have glitches with Amazon Fresh? This was my second time using them. The previous occasion was the days preceding a colonoscopy. The low-fiber diet is opposite of anything I use. So I ordered some prepared meals, and didn’t see the part about refusing substitutions or that the picker would text me about them. My phone was off. What came bore little resemblance to what I ordered. For fettucine Alfredo with chicken, they subbed Buffalo chicken nuggets. Instead of plain pound cake, frosted carrot cake (from the same label, but brand shouldn’t be the main criterion, IMO), and a few other nonsequiturs I’ve since forgotten.

4 Likes

:flushed: what a stretch this is. Oh my. Did the deliveries provide enough of the right stuff you need?

Hope that you are feeling better and recovering well!

2 Likes

I was just about to think letting someone else choose your groceries may have its merit! I guess it does. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

How strange! Speedy recovery. Maybe refrigerator pickles with those cucumbers?

Idiote moi! I completely blanked on pickles. These aren’t pickling cukes but it’s better than their going completely to waste. I’ll make a little container of raita but that’s not something I use much of. Oh, and I just remembered Benedictine. I even have all the ingredients. I just hope it doesn’t go bad too fast.

2 Likes

@naf and @shrinkrap - did the new thread about pantries ever get created? Will try to post pics of the pantries, canning pantries and canning supplies area at my house today, or very soon. Can’t wait to get back in canning mode.

Please start one.

2 Likes

I will, thanks for confirming!

1 Like

I cannot believe its been so long that we are still struggling with this. This time, should have been heading out of town a few days ago, but didn’t.

Just curious- why do you keep the citrus press in the crisper?

:dizzy_face: I couldn’t find an embarrassed emoticon!

I don’t know, but I suspect I had a partially squeezed lemon in there, that I thought I would be using shortly.

Why do I have such a hard time throwing things away? I suppose I’ll have to take that up with my therapist.
Or maybe I’ll just take a pill.

On my way to look at the short list of refrigerators. Wish me Luck!

1 Like

I sometimes keep some squeezed citrus in the fridge for odour control.

1 Like

Yeah ! That’s it!

1 Like

Bonne chance!! What’s high on your list?

Thank you! I’ll post them on the counter depth refrigerator thread.

2 Likes

The inside of my fridge says I have WAY too many condiments.

1 Like

If you figure out the why of saving everything, or a treatment for it, would you please share it with me?? H would greatly appreciate it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:@shrinkrap

1 Like

I will be rich beyond my wildest dreams!

2 Likes