What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2022

Good news! They are currently offering it for $14.95 again for the next three days!

1 Like

Thanks, Shellybean. Got it!

1 Like

I tend to buy classics rather than COTMs. My two most recent were Les Halles (Bourdain) and White Heat (White). I am considering Mediterranean Cooking (Wolfert) next. BTW White Heat is terrific, and many of the recipes are that juxtaposition of incredible complexity and showcasing the beauty of the star ingredients. It also reminded me of Escoffier the way a recipe would incorporate three or more other recipes.

2 Likes

I got Thali by Maunika Gowardhan from the library.

Was pretty excited about the concept and how she’d treat it, but am a bit disappointed that it’s pretty much a regular cookbook so far in my read, aside from a discussion upfront about what a thali is.

Her recipes are always good, so I’m sure these will be too. But it the same feeling I had when I got Manet Chauhan’s “Chaat” and it was mostly… not chaat.

I like that she had some sample groupings of recipes in the back, but I had wished there was more as well.

The shrimp pickle intrigues me…

The Kiev International Culinary Academy is offering a layer cake ebook this time.

The cakes look so beautiful and I’m really tempted because they mostly seem to be sponge cakes. The carrot cake in particular has such an interesting look and as someone whose preferred carrot cake is a light and fluffy sponge made with ground pecans, I’m curious how this one is made.

3 Likes

Will look for this

1 Like

@Amandarama I missed it when I looked because it wasn’t under pickles but under curries. But yes, I LOVE Prawn Balchao – you should definitely make it!

Coming back also to say that many of the recipes look good, aside from my comment about the premise. Looking forward to trying several.

1 Like

Yay! That is so good to hear. Thanks! I really liked the stir fried paneer I made from Thali earlier this week. It was like a big hug after a long day.

3 Likes

@Amandarama I nominated it for COTM

1 Like

Just wandering if anyone has Cookie Love by Jean Hwang Carrant? Dorie wrote about it in her blog. Not indexed yet on EYB.

I do - seems to be a good cookie baking book.

Have you tried any of the recipes? It sounded like some of them might have unusual ingredients or twists on the usual.

No I haven’t yet, but I’ll pull it and give a quick look through and get back to you.

1 Like

I recently impulse bought Melissa Clark’s “Dinner in One” (we were at our local warehouse club and it was $20 instead of $30). I’ve flagged a lot of recipes to try, but almost all require modifications that she offers (eg chicken breasts instead of thighs). So far I’ve made two: a gigantic meatball sub on a loaf of garlic bread, and a turkey (not lamb) keema. The meatballs were good, but the sandwich was structurally unsound once sliced. I’d repeat but with individual sub rolls. The keema was tasty but unfortunately not to my family’s liking; I may try the basic recipe with chickpeas and make it for my lunches.

I’ve also preordered the new Smitten Kitchen cookbook so will pick it up when it’s released in November!

4 Likes

I love Deb from Smitten Kitchen; her recipes aren’t overly complicated.

3 Likes

Ok, I’ve given the book a look through, and if you’re wanting unique or unusual cookies, I think you’ll be well pleased! Some of the unusual ingredients I noticed were goat butter, smoked chocolate, and rosewater- those are just the ones that stand out. There’s a chapter at the end that has recipes for unusual fillings, such as various atypical jams and such. Probably how to cold smoke chocolate too, but not sure… the book is nicely laid out with quality photos. There’s about 60 recipes, and it has high ratings on Amazon too.
My only complaint with the book is that the ingredient lists to each recipe are in a small font, despite a lot of white space on the pages. The directions are in a bigger font, but still there’s room for bigger type there, as well. I do have aging eyes - 10 or so years ago it wouldn’t have been an issue. Still, young or older eyes, it’s nice to be able to glance at something and have it be easily seen. :eyes:

Let me know if you have any more questions. I’m looking forward to making a couple recipes, so thanks for bringing it up, as I had kind of forgotten about it.

2 Likes

HONEY CAKES & LATKES
RECIPES FROM THE OLD WORLD BY THE AUSCHWITZ-BIRKENAU SURVIVORS

I pre-ordered this book since all the proceeds go to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial Foundation.

6 Likes

My costco seldom has cooking books these day so when i saw Dinner in One by Melissa Clark I was delighted. I like the way the book is organized. Chapters are on Sheet Pans, Skillets, One Pot Pastas and Noodles,Dutch Oven,Casseroles,Soup Pots, Instant Pots and Multicookers, One Bowl Cakes. I have marked quite a few recipes and now to get organized. I have her Dinner in French and love cooking from it.

6 Likes