What Are Your 3 Favorite Desserts?

Yes, if it is fondant then the main flavor of the outside dome is sugar and overly sweet, maybe some almond extract of flavorings but with the marzipan you have the marzipan almond flavor there instead.

German chocolate cake just isn’t popular any more, and also labor intensive. If you’re ever in nyc there’s an old fashioned bakery called Buttercup bakery that sometimes has slices but always has german chocolate cupcakes. My mom awarded them a “not bad” when she had it, which is very high praise

2 Likes

Let me know if you make a “custom” crust. If you have a celiac friend or relative, the gluten free shortbread type cookies work well also - you wouldn’t realize the crust was gluten free. Enjoy the experimentation!

German Chocolate Cake was our favorite when growing up. We 3 kids plus my dad would always request it for our birthdays. Mom used a boxed cake mix but would always make the pecan coconut frosting, which is one heavenly combination. I may make one soon!

1 Like

We have a saying in our house & it goes like this: DH what is your favorite kind of pie? Answer: the piece in front of me. If I make another kind of dessert, he asks what I have against pie…& I’m always on the hook to make a pie for pi day. Agree that pie is very good.

7 Likes

So, many of you have mentioned that you are fans of marzipan. I find it a little too sweet but enjoy it in small quantities. I much prefer almond paste if you haven’t noticed. I’m curious, do the marzipan fans care for almond paste as well. Also initially I did not consider myself a big dessert person because I was thinking in terms of frequency when it came to having one … this thread has made me realize that as a person who really thought she wasn’t all that into desserts … I’m into desserts … add a homemade chewy hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream and toasted almond or coconut to my growing list of favorites … I have been known never to not walk away from a good brownie or piece of pecan pie either, oh and then there is cheese … impossible to list only three.

2 Likes
  1. Hot fudge sundae with wet walnuts
  2. Halo-halo (Filipino shaved ice dessert with milk and mix-ins - usually sweet beans, jackfruit, and banana, but I also love adding ube ice cream and leche flan if I’m feeling extravagant)
  3. tie between apple pie or Black Forest cake
1 Like

I love almond paste as well as anything almond; the only exception is I dislike desserts with too much almond extract added. Think cherry pie or pistachio ice cream. I’m still mourning the fact that Hagen Dasz completely changed their pistachio ice cream just a few years ago. The next best one is a B & J product but way too much almond extract masking the delicate flavor of pistachio. On second thought maybe it’s a good thing, I did find the HD addictive.:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’m drooling again!

1 Like

Ha, I could have written this about my husband!

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll have to ask the next time I have it.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about this for a day since I don’t have the sweet tooth I used to.
The deserts of my youth kept cropping up,
with the added fact I don’t see them on menus anymore either:

1. Peach Cobbler
    Love the stuff but I don’t make it. Used to be such a treat and sign of summer.

2. Rice Pudding/Bread Pudding
    I’ll call these cousins because we had one or the other almost every Sunday dinner for many years.
    We always had 1/2 & 1/2 for pouring over.
    And always with raisins baked in.

3. Baklava
    Not from my youth, but the combination of ingredients, the airiness and crunchiness at the same time is always a delight.

• My Turkish friend here makes a version that’s a step above.
    An infrequent treat.
    :smiley:

I’m putting ice cream in a separate category for the purpose of this survey.

4 Likes

Well crap.
Gotta add another to my list if we’re including frozen things.
Patbingsu makes my heart go pitter patter :heart_eyes:

My bff is a crazy pistachio fiend and pitched a fit when HD screwed up their pistachio flavor.
However, i’ve noticed multiples of Talenti gelato pistachio in her freezer so i suspect that is a worthy alternative

Thanks, I will give it another try. I bought some back when the old HD was still being made, and I remember my clear preference was the HD.

Know there was a thread on things tasting different from childhood, but I’ve noticed so many changes in my adult hood and none of it has been an improvement, sadly.

1 Like

Oh, I love Talenti gelato. A spoonful or two is more satisfying than a bowl of ice cream.
I’ve noticed that in this topic dessert favorites run largely to simple, old standards. Can never go wrong with pie, for example. Lately, I’ve been baking hermits. They’re probably unknown outside of New England, though.

2 Likes

I’ve come across them made by southern and Midwestern bakers too!

I love all three of these. I used to make baklava when I worked with a large group of people. It is one of those things that is hard to make just a little.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a favorite of Mr Rat who’s also a pistachio fiend.

Cooks Illustrated has an oatmeal snack cake with a broiled coconut/nut topping. Similar to GCC but sans chocolate. It’s easy to make, and the oatmeal lets you persuade yourself it’s healthy.

2 Likes