What Are You Coveting/Waiting /Saving For?

They apparently are made by American Quick Foods, which is based in Kansas. Link to their website is listed below. It lists all the specs except price.
They also offer the option of a case of pancake mix, 15 bags that weigh 1.6 lbs each- to make over 500 pancakes if you buy a case.

https://americanquickfoods.com/

Looks like they don’t sell them (see p. 4 of linked pdf below). They come with a subscription to the food mix.

1 Like

Have you looked at this GE model? It is really small. I recently replaced a small 30 year old Sharp with this. I needed one that was small enough to fit on a 12 inch deep shelf and this works.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-0-7-cu-ft-Small-Countertop-Microwave-in-Stainless-Steel-JES1072SHSS/205755052?

1 Like

I did not covet or wait. It was an impulse purchase. I didn’t even have to save as they were very reasonably priced. I got three water stones (400, 1000, and 3000) with a rack and a flattening stone from Sharpening Supplies, all house brand and MiUSA. My old stones were pretty dished and too small for my larger knives. I may need to wait a few months to try them out.

1 Like

Thank you! I did not run across this one in my search. I did find a Toshiba .9 cu-foot and have it earmarked. I like the GE one better - no bulky handle. Since 2021, we have had to replace a stacked washer/dryer, a dishwasher and a gas range. Hoping the microwave keeps on chugging until our heating and electric bills go down in the spring & summer.

Got a link to the stone set?

I recently purchased these angle guides intended to rubber band to stones to help with holding true(r) angles: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4QMO7U?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like

Thanks. I found the site, just not sure about which set…

I got a 1000/3000 XL, a 400 XL, the Double Time flattening stone, and their house brand holder. I had described my knives to them and asked if the 1000/3000 was a good choice. They suggested adding the 400. The flattening stone and holder combination was a logical addition.

1 Like

Thanks. Sounds like it was a custom kit they assembled for you.

1 Like

Thanks for catching that.

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $3900 if the OP is interested. Price does not include additional shipping charges and there are no returns allowed.

1 Like

I use this pan all the time. Makes risotto and such thick dishes a breeze. Large batches of lemon curd, aloo gobi, etc whatever cuisine it is a big help.

1 Like

Yep.

I saw that one. Wonder if the seller is breaking some kind of licensing deal by selling it, or maybe they got it before the current sales method went into place. Also wonder if the maker would be willing to sell the food supplies to a “rogue” owner. It would be in their best interests to do so, financially, but to the extent a business is made up of people, sometimes they can be petty even against their own interests.

Dungeness Crab

3 Likes

The big price tag is a deterrent but so is the question mark of having access to the prefilled bags of pancake mix. I kind of doubt it would be feasible to reuse and refill them with my own batter. Otherwise it might be a consideration to make an offer on that unit.

Honestly the pancakes were good but not amazing. The main attraction was the ease of obtaining freshly cooked hotcakes with the push of a button. Otherwise I think even pan fried krusteez pancakes might taste superior since crispiness and size and thickness can all be modified by the cook while this machine to my understanding is less amenable to pancake modification.

Krusteez was fine until we discovered the Snoqualmie Falls mix. Made with real buttermilk, it is a pleaser.

I love buttermilk, and I love buckwheat. However, my usual pancake, quick and easy, is a cup of AP flour, a tsp. of baking powder, a quarter tsp. of salt, a tbsp. of turbinado sugar, and egg, a splash of vanilla, and enough milk to make a very thin batter, thin enough for a single cake to cover a plate. It is easy enough that a mix seems unnecessary.

1 Like

Simple is best! This mix is best for mass production when guests are involved.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting a 12-13 inch darto pan - carbon steel.

it seems kinda cool and folks at egullet seem to like it a lot

I have a de buyer but it’s not large enough (the interior pan dimension is only 10 inch)