What Are You Coveting/Waiting /Saving For?

Deals come and go. Needs arise. But what’s on your radar?

Maybe something that’s rare or unavailable, or would be infrequently used, or only marginally better than an item you have? Is it something you’ve scrimped for, or something you haunt websites and thrift shops hoping to find? Is it a state-of-the-art appliance? Is it something you once had, lost and want again? Would it be a splurge?

One item for me was a duck/lobster press. Another was a 3mm oval tinned copper fish pan. I ended up getting both, but I gave the press away to a dear friend.

1 Like

Our oven died. We have a slide-in 30" gas range that is adapted to propane. The burners still work on the stovetop, but it’s an old appliance ( pre-2005) so we went shopping for a new one. We use our oven all of the year. Gulp - about $2800 for a new one, and who knows what the gas plumber will charge us for installation but we will be back in business for Thanksgiving.

5 Likes

I could go for a total kitchen remodel of our 36 year old log home, but I doubt it’ll happen in my life time. I can only dream of winning the lottery …

1 Like

I want to try an induction hot plate/burner, so I might treat myself to a single induction hot plate/burner and if I like it… maybe just maybe I’ll upgrade my stove and get one with an induction cook top.
If anyone has any experience with induction hot plates or cook tops, I would very much enjoy hearing your opinion/experiences.
(There is no natural gas in my area, so I have to stay with electric.)

Kaleo! You and that freakin duck press! I dont know if i told you this before…but a few years ago, after you mentioned it on Chowhound, I was in Paris, and saw one in the window of E.Dehillerin…and knew exactly what it was the moment I saw it.

I have a low threshold for buying kitchen gadgets, but what i dont have that i have had an eye on is an Ooni pizza oven. I just haven’t pulled the trigger on one yet.

I am always on the lookout for a better better better kitchen knife, but there is no way I can justify any more knives than I have…which is almost embarrassing.

1 Like

Last year, my DH gave me a knife for Christmas. I never thought I could love a kitchen tool so much. Husband sent the guy some black walnut from a tree my father cut down in the 1960’s. Nick’s father was the best man at our wedding in 1978. https://nickrossiknives.com/

6 Likes

Nothing at this very moment to be honest. I can be spontaneous, so I tend to buy things when a good price comes up or a strong demand occurs. Sorry. Nothing at this moment.
Today, I just bought a aluminum pot, and it wasn’t on my radar until I saw the item.

Nice.

1 Like

In a recent newsletter from David Lebovitz he talked about his new induction cooktop. Sounds like there is a much higher learning curve than you would think. I don’t know anyone that has one, but I would need to know a lot more before making much of an investment.

3 Likes

Having done it before (electric to induction as well as gas to induction), I don’t think it’s any more difficult or easier than going from gas to electric.

If you can spell DOG if someone gave you the “D” and “G” then it shouldn’t be a problem.

5 Likes

I was surprised when I read his article. Maybe it’s because his is made in France. Didn’t realize you had already used induction. If you had your choice of anything, which type would you have?

Hello y’all, I was a long time lurker at CH and just before they shut down made a note to bookmark this place, and here I am.

To the topic at hand. I have a gas stove but arranged a hybrid setup with a Duxtop 9100 cooktop sitting on one side. And after a couple years, I am thoroughly satisfied with the performance of the little induction top, which cost about 60 dollars.

The key is to understand its strengths (super fast boil, easy maintenance) and weaknesses (hotspots, small coil ring) and use the right types of pans for each task. A loose rule of thumb for me is to go induction for liquids, and gas for dry searing. Another would be pans 24 and under go to induction, anything bigger atop good old flames.

And based on that, if you make a lot of soups, braises, pastas, then you will enjoy the Duxtop. On the other hand, if you generally sear and saute lots of proteins or rely on cast iron pans, then I would suggest that you look elsewhere, perhaps at higher tier PICs that I reckon would perform better, heat more evenly with larger coils.

8 Likes

Gas.

But that’s just based on the way I cook and the meals that I prepare.

2 Likes

My dad always wanted to buy me a duck press. I have no idea why - I guess he found them enchanting looking. I suspect i will be replacing my Breville oven soon; the door hinge has sprung and it barely stays closed - 15 years of daily service, and originally bought on sale. Not bad. I’d like a new espresso machine - small, not fussy.

1 Like

Actually, I have 4 things on my wish list, but will probably never own 3 of them due to budget/ probably never use them.

1. a cast iron woodburning cook-bake stove-oven -budget/lack of spot to put it.
  2. jam pan
  3. Pommes de Anna pan
    I have never made jam or Pommes de Anna in my life and probably never will. I just like the look and the design of the pans.
  4. an oval fish pan- this one I may actually acquire someday, as some of my family enjoys
    whole salmon glazed with real maple syrup, herbs, and teriyaki sauce.
2 Likes

I have all of those. I’ll make you a swinging deal on the woodstove.

1 Like

I have a back ordered tamis coming from E. Dehillerin on or about the New Year. I will probably someday take the plunge for a large rondeau and a pommes Anna. I always like a new linen towel/torchon or two.

Not as elegant by a long-shot, but you can make a passable pommes Anna with a cast iron skillet.

@Desert-Dan I bought one a few years ago because my 220V electric cooktop can’t be powered by the generator when the power is out, but the single 110V hob can.

I found the only learning curve was timing (in a very positive way). Pans heat and cool way faster, so you’ll have to readjust your instincts on how long the pan takes to come up to temp, and how much residual energy exists when when you turn down/off the heat.

I think anyone who cooks on electric will find the more responsive control a no brainer. I even leave mine out all the time, and use it often for delicates like sauces and seafoods. Mine even has two modes: the regular 1-10 range, and a thermostatic mode. While the temp indicated doesn’t exactly indicate pan temperature, it is a very useful approximation, and almost always use it for cream/butter sauces, egg poaching, etc.

I would say my only complaint would be the always on fan is a little too noisy for my liking, but a full cooktop will be much quieter due to the fans being underneath the counter and better insulated.

1 Like