What Are You Coveting/Waiting /Saving For?

I hear SNL’s Coneheads exclaiming “Consume mass quantities!” :yum:

1 Like

My wife randomly saw a picture of the Bourgeat oval fry pan/fish pan and now wants it. So that’s nice! Usually I need to justify all of my copper purchases haha!

2 Likes

Now if they offered it with the handle attached on a long side!

I had a table service one that my mom gave me that had the handle on the long side.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. Probably gets pretty heavy!

Yes, the leverage would be better. It would also fit in most ovens–my tinned version is nearly 23" long!

Yeah the bourgeat is 23”. With a helper handle it probably doesn’t fit in the oven. I can make due without though.

Sure, it’s a great pan as-is.

Used to be, the handles on ovals were left very short. I have Jos. Heinrichs silvered oval with a 4.5" stick handle. I think Legion/Scavullo still honors that tradition.

1 Like

What do the Bourgeat oval pans look like? Do you want it in the middle or at the end?

I have the Falk pan — gets more utility than I anticipated.

1 Like

Finally, finally tracked a 20cm Bourgeat saucepan down. 3.75 quarts, 2.5mm thick and gorgeous. Found it BRAND NEW on eBay and was able to get it for less than $300, which is a pretty decent deal considering the condition and how often they pop up (not often).

8 Likes

O! I mean, Wow!

1 Like

@kaleokahu look what I got!

5 Likes

Dang that’s nice. New or lightly used? I hope you got a deal.

1 Like

Nice! Congrats! That’s what my “table service” fish pan that my mom gave me looked like, configuration-wise.

1 Like

Guy bought it 15 years ago and never used it. Was clearing it out of storage. So basically brand new. Unfortunately, the eBay auction got a ton of attention so I got it for $365. Figure it’s discontinued so I can’t buy it anyway and brand new is over $500 anyway. It’s the final piece I really wanted so is what it is. It seems a little more narrow than I was expecting, but will be great regardless.

2 Likes

I’m generally a fan of NOS (new old stock), especially if it’s been d/c’d. It’s like finding some ancient, dusty piece in the Dehillerin basement hidden from the Nazis behind a crate.

4 Likes

Yeah I bid on that one too, but things got too rich for me. I already have one, but was just checking to see if I might get lucky on that auction. As you said, lots of attention. I use it for fish, asparagus, and anything else a frying pan can be used for.

1 Like

Oh it was ridiculous. The seller agreed to sell it to me for $250 an hour after he listed it, but someone bid $2 on it 6 days and 23 hours out and it removed the ability to add a buy it now price. Then when I asked him to just pull the listing and relist, two other people bid in increments of $2 and took it to $25, all with over 6 days remaining on the auction. Was really dumb. He wouldn’t relist at that point and I had to wait the entire week to just get it for more than he agreed to. Was really annoying. The waiting the six days, I didn’t mind paying what I did. Was a good price. Glad it didn’t get stupid.

1 Like

What’s the thickness on this beautiful fish pan? I missed it, or you would have had another bidder (one that would have dropped off , though, pretty early on)

1 Like

Lowest I was able to get with my digital caliper was 2.52mm, but I think I was messing around with it. Definitely minimum 2.5mm, but may be 2.6-2.7mm

1 Like