What are you baking? November 2023

I wish i had measured the diameter of my cookie. I got 20 cookies as per recipe. They werent that big. I like my cookies always on the smaller size. My dough was refrigerated overnight. I would suggest you bake a couple of cookies with scoop of your choice and then adjust to size you want.

I just determined that my scoop is #24

1 Like

Is that 1 Tablespoon?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/717/kitchen-scoop-and-disher-guide.html

1 Like

According to the chart Shelly sent there is no way my scoop is #24. It certainly doesnt hold 3 tablespoons My scoop is 1 1/2" across and holds a little less than 2 tablespoons. Its one i use almost always for cookies. Im confused.
Heres another chart

Heres the chart

1 Like

I’d use a #40 for small cookies. It’s what I’ve used when doing smaller ones.

The recipe for malted malted chocolate cookies calls for 1 1/s tablespoon portions, which I believe is essentially the capacity of a #40 scoop.

2 Likes

I have 2 cookie scoops, one says Piazza, no numbers anywhere, seems just under a tablespoon. I’ll probably use this with generous amount.

The other I finally saw a number inside (!?!) the scoop, 30, and it’s a bit over one tablespoon. Your chart says that’s 2.13 T but that’s not what I’m getting.

Thats what i thought mine always was, until i saw those charts🙄

A 30 is a bit over 2 tbsp, yes. The numbers are on the left sides. They are standardized based on how many scoops fill a 32-oz container. So since an ounce is 2 tbsp, a #30 holds a bit over 2 tbsp.

These are 24, 30, and 40 dishers.

6 Likes

No numbers on mine and they dont work very well. Might have to buy some like yours. Thanks for all the info.

2 Likes

This #20 I have is designed a little differently, but it also has the number towards the left. And it helpfully says it has a 1 5/8 oz capacity. On all of them the number is also across the not sure what the word would be, but the wiper I guess :joy:?

2 Likes

The chart you posted said they preferred these scoopers:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002U33QG/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0002U33QG&linkCode=as2&tag=bakersbriga09-20&linkId=3c77b11c413f11a188819a220228e2aa

I don’t think I need to buy new ones; mine seem to be fine.

Oops. Wrong thread.

So, I did a double recipe, (Milk Chocolate Malted Milk Cookies)

mixer with whisk then folded with spatula by hand.

Took 10-11 minutes, 12 to a pan, used my small scooper, generously. I like this small size. I opted not to top with flaky sea salt.

Definitely chewy, fudgy but somehow I can’t taste the malted milk powder. I used Bensdorp Dutch Cocoa I’d gotten from King Arthur and had forgotten about.

7 Likes

SUPER helpful photos!! I thought mine did not have size markings – nothing on the sides or handles. But sure enough - numbers are on the “wiper”. The 2 I use are a 50 and a 60.

1 Like

OMG after maybe more than 20 years I now now the size of my scoops. 8,24,40(most used) and tiny one i cant find anything on. Hope to replace my 40 with a better one. Thank you so much Shellybean.

1 Like

@Stef_bakes - I love my oxo #40.

@Aubergine - what size scoop did you use? My cookies really spread

My small one that I can’t find a number on … but it’s a little under one Tablespoon. I did generous scoops, 12 balls per sheet. I didn’t think they spread too much.

1 Like